Fatigue

Can you hear me?

Iseul’s POV

“Aigoo~ You grow so fast~” I said to Eun as I was changing her.

She is now just a little over a month old. Eun have been a pretty easy baby to take care, except that she likes to be close to people, so whoever carries her, she would cling tightly onto the person like a baby koala. She especially loves it when Doo carries her because he would never put her down. He spoils her like that.

Although it was not my plan to raise her as a spoiled child, seeing how Doojoon spoils her makes me feel that it seems okay to spoil her. The way he smiles when she smiles at him, the worry on his face when she cries, the way they both look at each other, it is as if the both of them are one person. Whatever she does affects him, and vice versa.  It is so amazing just watching the both of them interact. It unconsciously puts a smile on my face.

“Are you sure you’ll be okay?” My mom asked me.

“Yes. I’m sure. I’ve been learning to take care of her, and you cannot deny that I’m doing quite a good job.” I grinned.

“You are doing quite a good job, but Doo is doing a better job.” She teased me.

“That I wouldn’t deny!” I laughed.

“Alright, let me go say bye to the little girl.” She said as she headed to where Eun was.

I watch as my mom tickled her a little and then shower her with lots of gentle kisses.

“Don’t serve Doo his dinner cold!” She pinched my nose lightly.

“I wouldn’t do that!” I pouted.

“Alright, take care. See you tomorrow.” She said.

“Actually, Umma,” I said.

“Hmm?” She looked at me.

“Actually, you don’t have to come daily. I can take care of her.  I’m really thankful that you forgave me and accepted Eun. It is not your duty to raise my child as well. But it is my duty to make sure you’re taken care of. Go out with Appa, go travel or what. Don’t worry.” I said.

She smiled and kissed me on my cheek.

“I’ll see you~” She patted my head before leaving.

I went back to Eun and cradled her in my arms. She stared at me with her huge eyes, playing with her tongue.

It was amazing how time flies when I lost myself just simply by watching her. At first when I watch Doo look at her and smile for hours, I thought he was just obsessed with her, but when I started really doing my duty, I understood why. Eun have an extremely captivating pair of eyes. When she looks at you, it is like she is you into her world, and you cannot seem to break eye contact with her unless she looks away. Overall, it is difficult to stop looking at Eun.

“My phone is ringing.” I said to Eun who was sticking out her tongue at me.

I laughed to myself as I stretched for my phone.

“Hello?” I answered, still smiling at Eun.

But my smile faded away when I heard what the person over the other line said.

“Okay. I’m coming.” I said quietly.

I dropped my phone onto the couch and stared blankly at Eun.

“Eun ah~” I called out, still in shock after hearing what I heard.

“Eun ah~ Your Doodoo is in the hospital.” I said.

She stopped playing with her tongue and stared back at me.

I contemplated on bringing Eun along as it was not exactly a wise idea to bring a month-old baby to the hospital, but I did not want to bring her to my parents just hours after I say I was capable of taking care of Eun myself. To add to that, I am sure Doo wants to see her too.

“Let’s go.” I said to her as I changed her and wrapped her in her towel.

As I drove, Junhyung’s words kept replaying in my head: “Iseul, Doo’s in the hospital. Come now.”

***
“Iseul!” I heard a voice called out when I arrive at the ward.

I turned around to see Kikwang looking at me.

“Why did you bring Eun along? The hospital…” I cut him off before he could finish.

“It’s not like I can leave her alone at home, can I? Where’s Doo!?” I asked.

“There, there. I’ll bring you.” He said.

I saw all of the boys sitting outside the room.

“Why are all of you sitting outside?” I asked, worried that something might have happened to Doo.

“He woke up. The doctor is checking on him.” Junhyung said, sounding tired.

“Why did you bring Eun to the hospital? There’s so much virus here.” He frowned when he saw Eun in my arms.

“I couldn’t leave her alone.” I said.

He extended his arms.

“What?” I asked.

“Carry~” He said.

“Carry? Carry what? YOU WANT ME TO CARRY YOU!?” I asked in shock.

He rolled his eyes.

“I want to carry Eun!” He said in an annoyed voice.

“OH!” I laughed as I handed Eun to him.

“Hi, cutie pie~” He snuggled his face into her stomach.

“What exactly happened?” I asked.

“We were in the midst of practicing our dance steps, he suddenly collaspe and looked like he was in a lot of pain. We yelled for him but he didn’t seem to be able to hear us. Like the pain took over him. Then he passed out.” Hyunseung said.

“You guys are overworking.” I said, looking at their tired faces.

“Just look at your face. It’s beyond fatigue. It’s almost breaking point.” I continued, remembering the time at home he trembled with pain.

They smiled weakly, with the exception of Junhyung who was still snuggling his face into Eun’s stomach.

We waited patiently for the doctor to come out, and when he finally did, I pushed pass the boys and ran up to him.

“How is he?” I asked.

“He needs a lot of rest.” He said.

“Why did he faint? And the extreme pain? This is not the first time. It happened before.” I said.

The doctor sighed and smiled.

“It’s fatigue. He needs to rest. Make sure he gets a lot of rest and eat well.” He said.

“Are you sure? Did you check properly? Don’t try to shut me up with fatigue because it sure doesn’t look that simple. If I did an autopsy on him, in which I clearly can’t now because he is obviously still alive, but I am sure if I could, I will find out more. You’re a doctor, you are supposed to find out why a patient is experiencing what he experience when alive.” I said.

The doctor stared at me with wide eyes.

“Sorry, it’s an occupational disease she has.” Yoseob said as he pulled me away.

“Don’t brush me off with fatigue! YAH!!!” I yelled.

I was pushed into the room and greeted by a tired and weak looking Doojoon.

“You’re scaring the doctor with your words on autopsy. He might report you and not let you in here in fear you may cut me up.” He chuckled weakly.

“I would cut you up if I could.” I said, sitting down beside him.

He looked at me, and then smiled.

“How are you feeling, hyung?” Dongwoon asked.

He pondered for a while, perhaps still a little confused from passing out.

“Good.” He said.

“You brought her here?” He frowned when he saw Junhyung walk in with Eun in his arms.

“I couldn’t leave her alone at home, could I?” I said.

“Don’t bring her near me.” He said when Junhyung wanted to let him carry her.

His eyes were telling an entire different story from his words.

“Why not? Do you have a fever or some deadly, contagious illness?” I asked.

He shook his head.

“It’s just fatigue, right? You said it’s fatigue. Fatigue isn’t contagious.” I said, placing Eun in his arms.

He smiled weakly when she snuggled her face into his chest.

“But still, don’t bring her here next time. She’s still very vulnerable.” He said.

“Are you implying that there will be a next time?” I asked.

He shook his head, grinning.

He was discharged a few hours later. The doctor advised him to rest for a week or so, but I doubt that would happen. I would be thankful if he could stay at home for just two days to really rest.

“You don’t have to hold me like I could not walk on my own.” He laughed.

“You were wobbling just now when I let go of you!” I frowned.

“Alright, alright.” He said.

I let him lean against the wall while I opened the door.

“Don’t bend down. Just wait for me.” I said when he wanted to remove his shoes.

I hurried to put Eun down onto the couch before going to Doojoon.

“I can do it myself.” He said when I helped him remove his shoes and socks.

“I don’t want you fainting here.” I smiled.

He said nothing. When I looked up at him, he was staring at me with a confused look on his face.

“What?” I asked.

“Noth… nothing.” He said, pushing pass me to go into the house.

“Not there.” I dragged him away from the couch.

He blinked at me.

“Sleep on my bed comfortably.” I smiled.

He shook his head.

“Sleep there or I’ll throw the couch away.” I threatened.

He looked down.

I raised his chin so he would be facing me.

“Just sleep on the bed, okay? Please? You can sleep with Eun on the bed. Don’t you want to sleep with her? Cuddling with each other?” I coxed him.

He let out a small smile. I knew using Eun would work.

I tucked him into bed then went to carry Eun over.

“There, look at how cute the both of you are sleeping next to each other.” I smiled at the sight.

“Rest well and I’ll go prepare something for you to eat, okay?” I asked.

“I’m not hungry.” He said quietly.

“But you still need to eat something. If you’re really not hungry when awake, then we’ll think about something else. But for now, sleep, alright?” I said.

He nodded.

I came back into the room awhile later to check on them. They were both still asleep soundly. Doojoon had one arm protectively around Eun, perhaps afraid that she might fall off the bed. Even when sick, her safety is still his first priority. I sat down on the bed gently, admiring the sight.

Doojoon’s POV

I opened my eyes and then squeezed them shut again when my head started spinning. It took awhile for the spinning to stop. I slowly opened my eyes and let out the breath I had been holding. I turned to my left to find Eun still asleep. I caressed her soft cheek with my finger and smiled to myself at her sleeping self.

While watching her, the doctor’s words played back in my head.

 “I cannot find an explanation to it, but it’s just going to keep deteriorating. You have to be prepared for the worst.” He said.

I quickly wiped away the tears that fell. I did not want to risk having Iseul walk in to find me crying.