My version of the ending; Heard

Can you hear me?

Iseul's POV

I felt a pang in my heart when I saw Doojoon broke down. I wanted so badly to get him out of here and bring him far away where he would feel safe, but I could not. But Doojoon, hang in there for a little while more. I promise you I would make things better, and then we will leave this horrible place.

I took a brief glance at Doojoon before turning to the judge who was looking at me quizzically.

"You are...?" He asked.

"I am Yoon Doojoon's girlfriend, and also the ex-girlfriend of the accuser’s friend. The incident happened in my house that night and I have witnesses to prove that it was him who ually assaulted my boyfriend that night." I said.

I could feel a lot of eyes on me, but my eyes were only on Doojoon. He had an extremely pained expression on his face. It was like he was pleading with me with his eyes to get him out of this place. Hang on, Doojoon.

"We cannot allow this!" The idiotic lawyer who has been tormenting my Doojoon said, glaring at me.

"What are you afraid of if what you said is true?" I asked, looking at him and then the as well as Jaehyun.

I was pretty surprised when I saw sadness in Jaehyun's eyes, but I am not going to trust it anymore. The other time I gave in to his remorse, I landed Doojoon in this crap. I looked away, diverting my attention back to the judge.

"Bring your witness." He said.

"Thank you!" I bowed and could not contain my happiness.

The lawyer was going crazy, yelling all sorts of reasons about unfairness and whatnot but I cannot be bothered.

I mouthed 'Be strong' to Doojoon before going to sit with the other boys.

The witness I found was my neighbor who was home that day and heard everything from the start to end. Her security camera also caught snippets of all of them.

Apart from that, the security guard downstairs also said he saw Jaehyun bring an unknown man up and he had received complains from the residents about shouting but he brushed it off as kids playing a fool since they did not specify what kind of yelling were those. The last piece of evidence that I have was the sound recording from the baby monitor in my room.

I froze when the lawyer requested for it to be played. I heard it once and I cried my eyes out. His pleads were so painful and desperate. As much as possible, I hope they would not play it because I did not want him to go through this again.

"NO!!" I protested.

"Please. No." I pleaded the judge.

"What's wrong?" Yoseob asked me.

"You don't understand." I said.

"Let's take a 20-minute break. Miss, would you please come with me?" The judge said.

I nodded, but before I left with him, I ran to Doojoon, cupped his cheeks and kissed him on his lips despite the fact everyone was looking.

"You'll be fine. Trust me, okay?" I said.

"Don't go." He tightened his grip on my wrists.

"I promise you I will be back, and then I will take you away from this hell." I said.

"Please." He started tearing up.

"Please, Doo. Please." I said, swallowing back my tears.

He nodded and let go of me reluctantly. I felt so horrible when I saw his tears drip all over his palms.

"Be strong, my dear. Please be strong." I whispered into his ear.

***
“Take a seat.” The judge gestured.

I did as I was told.

“Are you going to press charges against me?” I asked.

“For what? Because you love your boyfriend so much you ignore the rules and regulation and act as if the court was your home?” He asked, smiling.

“I’m sorry.” I muttered, feeling slightly embarrassed.

“Why can’t we play the sound clip?” He asked.

“The sound clip contains the whole ordeal. I don’t want to remind him publicly of what happened to him. He would not be able to take it.” I explained.

He played the sound clip and it happened to be at the part where Doojoon was screaming in pain. He cringed and turned it off.

“But…” He bit his lower lip.

“If we do not play it, there’s no way we can prove that this is legit.” He sighed.

“What happened to him is already a humiliation. He does not need to be reminded of it and humiliated further. You are the judge! You should know what to do! Didn’t you see him cry!? Can’t you tell how much pain he is in now!?” I snapped.

He looked at me with wide eyes.

“I… I’m sorry. You can charge me later, but please, don’t do this to him. He’s already very traumatized ” I pleaded.

He buried his face into his palms.

“Alright. How about I just play a bit of it?” He asked.

I knew I could not ask for more. This is not a market after all.

“Then could I at least be with him?” I asked.

“I’ll let you do that.” He said.

“Thank you so much!” I bowed.

“But promise me one thing.” He said.

“What?” I asked.

“Don’t just stay with him for now. Stay with him for a long time and be very, very happy.” He smiled.

I smiled and nodded.

When we went back to the courtroom, all of them were already there. I smiled at the boys before heading to where Doojoon was. He looked at me with a surprise look on his face when I sat down next to him.

“You…” He mumbled.

“What?” I asked, taking his hand into mine, squeezing lightly.

“Why… are you here?” He asked.

“Why can’t I be here?” I asked.

He said nothing.

Just before the trial started again, I took off his hearing aid. He looked at me in shock.

“You don’t need it.” I mouthed to him.

He did not seem to protest against it too. Perhaps he was also tired and uninterested. I let him rest his head against my shoulder throughout the trial. I tried to keep a straight face when the audio was played, but I failed.

I took a glance at the boys. All of them had a mixture of anger and sadness on their face. Even Junhyung was crying. I glanced at Doojoon. He had his eyes closed and his hand tightly intertwined with mine. For once, I was so glad he is deaf.

We decided not stay for the verdict. It was not important anymore.

Doojoon’s POV

Just as I was about to leave, my eyes met with the ’s. I tightened my grip on Iseul’s hand. She looked at me, and then saw who I was staring at.

“You’ve nothing to be afraid of.” She said to me, holding me tighter.

She is right. I have nothing to fear. He cannot traumatize me if I do not allow him to. I stared right into his eyes and walked passed him. The moment we passed, Iseul smiled at me and kissed me on my cheek.

“Hyung, we’re proud of you.” Dongwoon said, putting his arm around my shoulder.

We were heading out when I felt a tug on my leg. I looked down to find my little princess trying to climb up my leg like a little koala.

“You brought her here?” I asked Iseul as I carried Eun up, showering her with gentle kisses all over her face. Behind Eun was Iseul’s parents. They smiled and hugged me.

“Surprise.” Iseul smiled. Indeed it was.

“GOOOOO!!!” Eun screamed, grabbing my face with her little saliva coated palms.

The boys were squealing at her cuteness and trying to teach her their names, but all she did was smile. I felt so proud out of a sudden.

“What is this? A family gathering?” A voice said.

We turned back to find the lawyer walking towards us with a smirk on his face.

“Leaving already? Are you afraid?” He asked, looking at me.

“Of course we’re afraid.” Iseul said, stepping in front of me.

The lawyer laughed.

“We’re afraid that if we don’t leave now, we wouldn’t be able to later, because this place would be so crowded with reporters.” She said.

“What are you talking about?” He asked.

“Reporters will be here to cover the arrest of you. We could just watch it on TV in the comfort of our own homes. Why be here?” She asked.

She did not give him a chance to reply. She tugged onto my hand and dragged me away.

“Eun, what are you doing?” I asked when I heard her play with her saliva.

She grinned at me and then turned back to where the lawyer was and spit in his direction. I should be scolding her for doing this, but today I just want to hug her.

***
I was getting comfortable in Iseul’s bed, cradling Eun who was asleep in my arms, when Iseul came in with two cups in her hands.

“I made tea.” She smiled.

“Thank you.” I said.

“Put her down. Don’t your arms feel tired?” She asked.

I shook my head. I would never feel tired holding Eun.

Iseul shrugged her shoulders as she settled the cups down at the side before crawling into bed to join me. She poked Eun’s nose, causing the girl to wiggle her nose cutely.

“So cute~” I commented.

We spent the next hour sipping on tea and watching Eun sleep.

“Doo~” She called out suddenly.

“Hmm?” I looked at her.

“What do you think of Yoon Eun?” I asked.

“What?” I asked, surprised by what she just said.

She bent over and grabbed an envelope, handing it to me.

I pulled out the contents in the envelope and read it. I gasped and stared at her.

“What… is this?” I asked.

“Do you not want it?” She asked.

“No… I… I just…” I was lost for words.

Eun never had a surname because Iseul did not want her to follow after Jaehyun’s surname, and neither did she want Eun to follow hers, so all this while, Eun was just Eun. But now, on Eun’s birth certificate, it states ‘Yoon Eun’.

“I’m not forcing you into getting married with me or what. This has nothing got to do with us. I just thought you would be an awesome father to Eun. No matter what may our outcome be in future, I just hope… you’ll always be her father.” She explained.

I stared at her, not knowing how to respond.

“I know I am selfish for not seeking your approval beforehand. If you don’t want this, I can….” I interrupted her before she could finish.

“No. No. I want this. Of course I want this. You don’t know how much I want this.” I said, staring at the name, crying unconsciously.

“Don’t cry!” She laughed, but she had tears in her eyes as well.

“Thank you so much.” She said, hugging my waist.

“No, thank you.” I said.

“I guess now we got to start getting this little monster to call you Appa instead of Goo~” Iseul said, pinching Eun’s cheek lightly.

Yoon Eun; my baby, my princess, Appa will love and protect you forever.

***
Iseul’s POV

It took me a long time to convince this new Appa to let his baby down. He was pouting so much as though the moment he let her down, she would disappear.

“She’ll always be here. She’ll always be your baby, your princess. She’ll always be Yoon Eun. Now, stop pouting.” I pinched his lips.

He sighed and let himself fall face first onto the bed. I smacked his and turned him around.

“Shall we be together for a very long time?” I asked, hugging him tightly.

He said nothing. I looked up at him. He ran his fingers through my hair, smiling at me.

“Are you not busy anymore?” He asked in a playful manner.

“Not anymore.” I said.

“Sure?” He asked.

I nodded.

“I quit my job.” I said.

“WHAT!?” He yelled, sitting up, almost throwing me onto the floor.

“I quit my job.” I said again, sitting with my legs crossed in front of him.

“Wh… why?” He asked.

“Is there a reason to want to quit?” I asked.

“But… you love your job.” He said.

“But I love you more. I love Eun more. I love our family more.” I said.

“You… you don’t have to do this.” He muttered.

“Don’t feel burdened by it.” I said.

“It’s not about feeling burden. I just… I don’t know.” He said.

“I made this choice awhile ago. The past few days where I was busy, I was clearing up my work.” I explained.

“You didn’t tell me.” He said quietly.

“If I told you, you would have reacted like that.” I said, cupping his face.

“But you’re telling it to me now.” He said.

“It’s been done. There’s nothing you can do.” I stuck out my tongue at him.

“Tsk!” He pouted.

“Now I can dedicate all my time to you and Eun, isn’t that awesome?” I asked, leaning against him.

“Honestly, I’m still in shock. The Iseul I know would never do this.” He said.

“The Iseul you knew had not found a guy worthy for her to do this, that’s why. But this Iseul has.” I said.

He tugged me down, letting me fall into his arms and then he crashed his lips against mine, kissing me deeply. We pulled apart when we were out of breath, panting as we stared into each other’s eyes.

“Shall we be together for a very long time?” He asked.

“YES!” I said.

He laughed and pinched my nose before pulling me to lie on his chest, his arms wrapped around me tightly.

“This is an awkward position.” I commented.

“I don’t care.” He said.

We fell asleep shortly, but I woke up a few hours later. I pulled myself away from him gently. He was still in a deep sleep.

“You must be tired.” I said softly as I smoothed his hair.

“I’m yours, Doo ah~ Always and forever.” I said. I took off his hearing aid for him before covering the blanket over him and myself.

“I love you.” I whispered and kissed his ear.

I do this every night, although I know he would never hear me, but a part of me hope that one day he would. Everytime when Doojoon says ‘I love you’ to me, I would smile at him. I could see the sadness in his eyes whenever I do not say it back. It was not that I do not love him, but I just wanted him to be able to hear me, even though the chances were slim.

“I love you very, very much.” I said as I turned to turn off the sidelights.

Just as I lied down, I got startled when the lights again.

“What the…” I muttered, but I saw Doojoon awake and staring at me.

“Why… why are you awake?” I asked.

“What did you say just now?” He asked.

“I said… I love you… very, very much.” I said quietly.

He started sobbing and smiling at the same time.

“What’s…” I was about to ask him if he was that touched by my ‘I love you’ that he has to cry like that until I realize the real reason behind his tears.

“Oh my god.” I muttered, looking at the lonely hearing aid on the table, and then back at him.

“Say that again, please!” He pleaded.

“I LOVE YOU! YOON DOOJOON! I LOVE YOU!!!” I shouted, throwing myself onto him, hugging him tightly. I did not care if I woke the whole house. It would be better if I did, honestly.

“I hear you! I hear you! I ing hear you!” He cried.

“I love you! I love you! I love you!” I cried with him.

We were both ugly, crying messes, but who cares? Doojoon could hear me now. 

***
I know I said that we could not always expect happy endings in life, but this is fiction and if even in the fiction world we cannot find happy endings, then where is the hope? :) I hope you like this and thank you for reading! Let's all be happy for a very long time, okay?

4z.gif