Is this death?

Can you hear me?

Doojoon’s POV

“You’re not going back with us, Hyung?” Yoseob asked.

“No.” I smiled.

“Where have you been going these days? Hmm?” Junhyung asked, battling his eyelids at me.

“That’s disgusting!” I pushed his face away.

“Yea, Hyung, you’ve been going out every night ever since Iseul came by our place. Are you going to her place?” Dongwoon asked.

I smiled and nodded.

“I have to go pick Eun. Bye~” I ran off before they could ask more.

I picked Eun up with Iseul’s parents place before heading back to her place. I have been going to her place every night for dinner. I would stay until Eun falls asleep before leaving.

I could tell that Jaehyun hates my presence, but I cannot be bothered.

“What are you saying?” I asked Eun who was looking out of the window, blabbering in her own language.

She turned to me and pointed outside, telling me in her own language whatever she was trying to say. I wish I could look at her and drive at the same time but it was impossible.

“Why are you so cute?” I smiled, smoothing her hair as I drove and tried to give her as much attention as possible.

She was still blabbering as I carried her out of the car and made our way back to the apartment.

“You have so much to tell me?” I asked, snuggling my face into her stomach, earning laughter from her. She got so excited she started pulling my hair and slapping my face.

“Aigoo~ Aigoo~” I laughed.

“My princess, I love you, you know?” I said, kissing her on her cheek.

The door opened even before I could key in the passcode.

“I could hear you guys from outside.” Iseul smiled.

“Say hi to umma~” I said.

She squealed and kicked excitedly.

“So happy to see me?” Iseul asked, stretching her arms out to carry Eun.

“I hope you’re not complaining about me.” I said to Eun when she continued to blabber to Iseul.

“Did Doodoo bully you?” Iseul teased me.

“I didn’t!!” I pouted.

“I know, I know~” She smiled.

“Where’s Jaehyun?” I asked.

She shrugged her shoulders.

“Is he coming back for dinner?” I asked.

“I don’t know.” She said, putting Eun down, allowing her to crawl and roll around.

We had cushioned the corners so we were not afraid of her hurting herself.

“Give him a call?” I suggested.

“He’ll settle his own dinner. He’s old enough, okay?” She said, sounding annoyed.

“But what if…” She cut me off before I could finish.

“Do you want to have dinner with him or with me!?” She shouted at me.

I was surprised by her loudness, and so was Eun.

“Sorry.” Iseul apologized.

“You know, if you just wanted to have dinner with me alone, you could have let me know.” I .

“Idiot!” She slapped my back.

Eun screamed, attracting our attention.

“Oh, are you afraid we’ve forgotten you? Of course not! We want to have dinner with you too! Come here~” I said, inviting her into my arms.

She crawled over and let herself fall onto me.

While Iseul cooked dinner, I lied on the sofa, watching her play. She played well on her own, but often, she would turn over and smile at me.

“Eun ah, you got to stop smiling so much at Doodoo~ He’s going to die.” Iseul said, carrying Eun up and putting her on her baby seat.

While we had dinner, Eun sat in between us, playing with her toys.

“Eun, let Doodoo eat.” Iseul said when Eun kept trying to put her toys into my bowl.

Eun chuckled and picked up a vegetable with her fingers, handing it to me.

“You don’t feed someone with your fingers, sweetheart.” Iseul said as I opened my mouth, letting Eun feed me.

I was okay with letting her do whatever she wanted, but Iseul was not.

“Why aren’t you letting her play with me?” I pouted.

“No playing while eating.” She said sternly as she shoved a spoonful of rice into my mouth.

We continued to eat and chat. I was getting better at lip-reading, making conversations much easier although it wears me out mentally.

After dinner, I lied on the floor, allowing Eun to climb all over me.

“She’s taking you as her personal jungle gym.” Iseul laughed as she walked to where we were with two bowls in her hand.

“What have you got there?” I asked.

“Ice cream.” She said excitedly.

I stared at my bowl and then hers. Hers was almost overflowing while mine was just a single scoop.

“Why is it so unfair!?” I asked.

“What?” She asked, the spoon.

“Why is yours XL and mine XXXS?!” I asked.

She shrugged her shoulders and continued to eat.

“Give me more!!!” I demanded.

“Noooooooooooooo~” She ‘protected’ her ice cream with her arms.

“So unfair.” I grumbled as I poked my bowl of ice cream.

Eun giggled as she watched us.

“It’s funny?” I asked her, sticking my face close to hers.

She laughed so hard she fell forward, her forehead knocking against mine.

“Owwww~” I winced while she wailed in pain.

“Are you okay? Sorry, sorry, sorry~” I cradled her in my arms.

“Omo~ It’s red~” I said, rubbing the red bump on her forehead lightly.

“You fell and knocked in Doodoo. He’s not even crying. Why are you crying?” Iseul asked her, feeding her some ice cream.

“So cuteeeeeee~” I squealed when she stopped crying immediately as she tasted the sweet treat. She opened , asking for more.

“Who doesn’t like ice cream?” Iseul said as she fed Eun more.

“Not too much.” I said.

“Yes, yes.” She said, feeding Eun a little more.

“That’s all.” She said to Eun. instantly curled down into a sulk, her lower lip stuck out.

“Doodoo said not too much.” Iseul said, pointing at me.

Eun looked up at me, and then started crying really loudly. I could only laugh at her actions.

“You can’t eat too much yet, princess.” I said, wiping her tears.

She buried her face into my chest, soaking up my shirt with her tears.

“You made her cry.” Iseul said.

“Stop rubbing it in. I’m really sad to see her cry.” I pouted.

“Awww~” She pinched my cheeks.

Eun finally stopped crying when she found a new entertainment; the button on my top. She lied in my arms, tugging onto the button, as though trying to pull it out.

“She’ll rip the button off.” Iseul said.

“It’s okay.” I smiled.

“Ice cream is melting.” She said, feeding me from her bowl.

After ice cream, she washed the bowls while I continue to let Eun play with my button.

“I’m not buying you a new shirt if she rips this.” Iseul said from the kitchen.

“My shirt is hers to rip.” I grinned.

I turned to the door when I heard the pass code being keyed in. Jaehyun was back, and he was not please to see me.

“You’re here, again?” He scoffed.

“Hi.” I said awkwardly.

“Eun ah!” He tried to get Eun’s attention.

Eun buried her face into my chest and hugged me tight when he neared her.

“Eun ah~ Come to Appa~” He said, trying to grab her arm.

She let out a cry and tightened her grip on my shirt.

“Eun ah~” He said again, trying to pull her this time, causing tears from her.

“Stop it! You’re hurting her!” I pushed him away, holding Eun protectively in my arms.

“How dare you!” He glared at me, smacking me hard on the back of my head.

“What do you think you’re doing!?” I heard Iseul shout.

“Iseul~” I grabbed her hand before she could hit Jaehyun.

“Bring her inside.” She said to me, but was staring hard at Jaehyun.

I did as I was told. Even inside Eun’s room, I could hear her shout at Jaehyun. I covered Eun’s ears and rocked her to sleep. She fell asleep quickly. I leaned against the cot, admiring her peaceful sleeping face.

“She’s asleep?” Iseul asked as she came in.

“Yes.” I smiled.

“Are you alright?” She asked, touching the back of my head.

“Of course.” I smiled.

“Sorry.” She muttered.

“For what?” I asked.

“Everything.” She said.

“Don’t be.” I said.

She sighed and sat on the rocking chair.

“Why sigh?” I asked, poking her cheek.

She shrugged her shoulders.

“I am glad, you know.” I said.

“About what?” She asked.

“I am glad just now all I heard was you yelling, and not him yelling. At least I know you’re in control and I can be at peace.” I said.

She laughed and shook her head.

“I thought you were glad because I shouted at him for you!” She punched me playfully.

“I am glad about that too.” I smiled.

I turned to Eun who was still sleeping peacefully despite the noise we were making.

“It’s amazing how she can still sleep.” I commented.

Iseul looked at Eun and then let out a proud smile.

From the corner of my eye, I thought I saw someone glare at me, but when I turned to the door, there was no one.

***
I could hear Eun’s loud cries the moment I exit the lift.

“What the ?” I mumbled to myself as I hurried to the house. 

A neighbour who stays at the other side of the level stopped me.

“She’s been crying since a while ago. It is worrying. Is she alone at home? You better go in quick.” She said to me.

Eun was not alone at home. She was with Jaehyun. Although both Iseul and I knew she did not like it, we had no choice because Iseul’s mom is sick and her dad had to take care of her. I told her I would go over to her house quick since I only had one schedule for the day.

“Thanks.” I mumbled before hurrying to key in the code and let myself in, just in time to witness a scene that boiled my blood.

“STOP CRYING! YOU BLOODY !!!” He shouted to the baby girl as he swinged the back of his palm across her cheek, causing her to wail louder.

“WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING!?” I shouted, making my presence known. 

I hurried towards the poor girl and picked her up into my arm, cradling her tightly.

“Shhh shhh~” I hushed her.

Her cheek where he slapped her was starting to swell.

“HOW COULD YOU HIT HER!? SHE’S ONLY SIX MONTHS OLD! ARE YOU ING OUT OF YOUR MIND!?” I yelled at him.

“HOW THE HELL DID YOU COME IN!?” He shouted at me.

“I have my ways.” I glared at him.

“Give her back to me. She’s not yours!” He shouted, trying to snatch the girl from me.

I elbowed him in his nose.

“Daddy is here. You’ll be safe.” I whispered to Eun.

“Daddy?” He mocked me, his nose bleeding.

“Just because your blood flows in her body does not make you her father. I can sue you for slapping her. I have evidence.” I said. 

He narrowed his eyes at me.

“I’m going to bring her for a medical check-up now. You better pray to all the Gods you can think of that nothing would happen to her, or else, you can pack your stuff and get ready to move into jail.” I threatened him.

I grabbed the baby bag and headed out with her in my arms. 

“COME BACK!!” He shouted at me as he grabbed me by my hair.

My arms tightened around the girl, in fear that I would drop her.

“DON’T ING DO THAT! I COULD HAVE DROPPED HER!!” I shouted at him.

“She can die for all I care. She’s just a burden!” He said.

“What did you say?” I asked, unable to believe what he just said.

“She’s just a ing burden! She shouldn’t even exist!” He yelled, almost poking Eun but I smacked his hand away.

“You’re downright terrible. ing monster.” I said, turning my back as I headed towards the stairs. 

Eun looked at me with teary eyes, whimpering softly.

“You’re not a burden. You’re my princess.” I said, kissing her on her forehead. 

We were on our way down when I felt someone trying to strangle me from behind. I was unable to make any sound because I was choking. I held the girl tightly against my chest, not wanting to risk dropping her.

“Die! You bloody idiot! DIE!!!” A familiar voice said as he tightened the rope against my neck. Jaehyun

“You think I don’t know that you love Iseul in a romantic way? ing ert. DIE!!!” He yelled.

I could not resist the rope since I had Eun in my arms, and dropping her was definitely not an option. I was fighting hard with myself to not black out, but he kept pulling the rope tighter. It was only until Eun started crying loudly did he loosen the rope.

“SHUT THE UP!!!” He yelled.

He tried to snatch her from me. 

“NO!” I yelled as I tried to fight her, oblivious to the fact we were on the edge of the stairs. 

“GIVE HER TO ME!” He yelled, shoving me roughly as he grabbed the crying girl violently away from my arms.

As reluctant as I am, I had to let her go, for I did not want her to tumble down the stairs with me.

“Sorry, my princess.” I mumbled apologetically as I rolled down the stairs, listening to her loud cries.

I felt my head knock against something sharp, and then a wave of dizziness engulfed me. Through blurry eyes, I saw her crying, her arms outstretched.

“Shhh~” I smiled weakly at her before darkness took over me. 

Is this death?