Care

Can you hear me?

Doojoon’s POV

I lied on my bed, allowing Eun to use my chest as her personal playground. She is barely half a year old, but she was already trying to stand even before she knew how to sit up. I held onto her little hands as she stepped all over my chest. After countless tries, she let out a sigh and sprawled out on her stomach on my chest.

“Tired already, little one?” I laughed as I patted her back lightly.

“She’s the classic example of someone who wants to run even before they can walk.” Iseul said, poking Eun’s nose lightly.

“My princess is too smart to learn the mainstream way, that’s why. Am I right, princess?” I asked Eun.

Eun grinned as she touched all over my face, amusing herself by pinching and poking me.

“Ever since you left, she have not been this happy.” Iseul said.

I turned to look at her, but she was looking at Eun.

“She misses you a lot. You spoiled her so bad, and then you just left.” She said.

“How have you been?” I asked Iseul.

“What?” She looked at me, confused.

“Enough of Eun. I know enough about Eun. How about you?” I asked.

“What about me?” She asked, her lower lip stuck out.

“Have you been well?” I asked.

She shrugged her shoulders.

“Did he bully you?” I asked.

I sat up, almost forgetting Eun was lying on my chest. She let out a squeal and started laughing, perhaps thinking I was playing with her.

“Ahhh you like it?” I laughed.

She kicked my chest with her little feet, perhaps asking me to do it again, and so I did. Iseul watched me with dropped jaws.

“Stop already! Why are you doing sit-ups?!” She laughed, smacking me.

“See how happy she is.” I panted while Eun continued giggling.

Iseul shook her head, but could not stop smiling.

“Eun, let Doodoo rest.” Iseul said, stopping me from doing it again.

Eun pouted at me.

“Okay, okay. Let’s go again.” I smiled at her.

“You’ll really go this far just to make her laugh?” Iseul asked.

“Of course. She’s my princess.” I said as I did it again. I had lost count of how many times I did it, all I knew was Eun was laughing really happily.

Laughing must have tired her out as much as doing the sit-ups tired me out, because she fell asleep shortly.

“Look at you~” Iseul said as she wiped off my perspiration.

“Thanks.” I smiled.

“I should thank you instead.” She smiled.

“Hey, stop acting so distant with me.” I nudged her arm.

“Are you still angry with me?” She asked.

“Angry? I never was.” I said.

“Disappointed, am I right? Because I am a stupid girl.” She said.

“Did he do something to you again?” I asked.

She shook her head, smiling at me.

“He’s been pretty well-behaved.” She said.

“That’s good.” I said.

“He’s trying to get back with me, but it’s not possible.” She said.

“Wait.. What?” I asked.

“I said, it’s not possible for us to get back together.” She said.

“Then why did you let him in?” I asked, confused.

“If not me, then who? Yes, he did left me to fend for myself back then. But am I going to do the same to him now? If I do the same, then wouldn’t it make me the same kind of person as he is?” She asked.

I looked at her.

“Just because I let him in, does not mean I opened my heart to him again.” She said.

“But… he might misunderstand.” I said.

“I know, that’s why I told him beforehand that I would not accept him again, but I can give him a place to stay until he is capable of supporting himself again. But that’s it, nothing more.” She said.

“But…” I muttered.

“And as for Eun, there’s really nothing I can do about him being her father. I only got myself to blame, I guess. ed the wrong guy.” She said, with a hint of cheekiness in her tone.

“Don’t talk like that.” I smacked her playfully.

“Don’t be angry with me already, Doo. Please~” She said.

I smiled and nodded at her.

“But why do you care whether I am angry with you or not?” I asked.

“How can you say something like that? We’re best friends.” She punched my arm. This time, it was not a playful punch.

“Owwww~” I winced, both in pain from her punch and 'best friends'.

It was getting late and as much as I want to let Eun sleep on my chest the whole night, it was not exactly the most comfortable position for her, so I drove them back home.

“Will you come back to stay?” She asked.

“Not now.” I smiled.

“Why?” She asked.

“Like I said, it’s too crowded.” I said.

She looked down.

“But I’ll come often. Cook me dinner, okay?” I said.

She grinned and nodded.

“Go on up. Good night.” I said.

“Bye bye, Doodoo~” She waved Eun’s hand.

“She looks drunk.” I laughed.

I cradled Eun in my arms, giving her a kiss before letting Iseul hold her.

“Text me when you get back.” She said.

I nodded and watched them head back up before leaving.

Iseul’s POV

“Where did you go!?” Jaehyun yelled the moment I stepped into the house.

I quickly covered Eun’s ears. Thankfully she was in a deep sleep.

“Shut up. Can’t you see she’s asleep?” I hissed.

I brought her back to her room, change her and tucked her into bed.

When I went back outside, Jaehyun was staring at me.

“What?” I asked.

“Where did you bring Eun?” He asked.

“Do I need to report to you about that?” I asked.

“She’s my daughter too.” He said.

“Really?” I said in a mocking tone.

He hated it and he was not afraid to show.

“Know your place, Jaehyun. I stated it clear from the start, the only reason why I let you in here is because I pity you.” I said.

I saw his fists clench tight.

“And you know what? Just because your blood flows in her veins does not make you her father. What have you even done for her?” I asked.

“So, does Yoon ing Doojoon make an excellent father to her?” He asked.

“Jaehyun, don’t ask something in which has an answer you know you can’t accept.” I smiled.

He was very angry, but I could not be bothered. He was in no position to even speak in this house.

I could not seem to fall asleep. I kept thinking over the conversation between Jaehyun and I. Why did I answer him that way when he asked if Doojoon makes an excellent father to Eun? What was the ‘answer’ I was implying to? Did I mean a ‘yes’? I had no idea what I was saying or why I said that.

Also, Doojoon’s words kept replaying in my head; ‘But why do you care whether I am angry with you or not?’ Exactly. Why do I care so much? Why did his anger cause me to lose sleep and appetite? Why?

I was snapped out of my thoughts by Eun’s loud cries. I glanced at the clock. It was time for her milk. I hurried out of the room and into hers. I saw Jaehyun trying to hush her but she kept on crying. She never liked to be touched by Jaehyun. I had no idea why either.

“Let me.” I said, taking her from him.

“Shhh~” I hushed her as I made her milk.

“Go to sleep. I got her.” I said to Jaehyun who stood behind.

“Why does she not like me to touch her?” He asked.

“It’s not you, it’s just her. She’s too used to Doo.” I said.

He said nothing and left the room. I was too preoccupied with Eun to bother about him. Eun stuck out her tongue cheekily at me.

“What? Why are you being such a bully? Hmm? Just because Doodoo is not here?” I asked her.

She let out a soft chuckle and snuggled her face into my chest. No wonder Doojoon always dies at her actions. How is it possible to get angry with her?

“But Eun ah, Doodoo is not Daddy.” I said.

She started sniffing, as though threatening me that she would burst into tears. I kissed her forehead and fed her milk.

“Maybe Doodoo can be your Daddy after all.” I muttered as I rocked her gently. 

***
tumblrmgm95xei391rlpg7n.gifIseul: How can you say something like that? We’re best friends.