Responsibility

Can you hear me?

Doojoon’s POV

Iseul’s house was not far from the studio but the ride there today felt like it was taking forever. When I finally arrived at the house, I parked the car at the side and hurried down the car. Even before I arrived at the door I could already hear the yelling.

“UMMA!!! ISEUL!!! APPA!!!” I shouted as I banged on the door.

The door swung opened, revealing Iseul’s mother, looking at me with teary eyes.

“What took you so long!?” She cried.

“Sorry!” I apologized quickly.

I scanned the house. Iseul was crying and kneeling on the floor while her father was yelling at her. I have never seen him so angry before. He was always a sweet father to Iseul, letting her do whatever she wanted. They had a very close relationship. Iseul was always very cute to her father and he always enjoyed her aegyo. Her mom always complained to me about being left out.

“Appa!! I’m sorry! I’m sorry!!! Please forgive me! I’m sorry!” Iseul was a crying mess.

“Did I send you overseas to learn to be so cheap?! I love you so much, is this how you repay my love for you!?” He shouted at her.

“NO! NO! APPA!! I’M SORRY!!” Iseul cried.

“What’s going... NO!!!” I screamed when Iseul’s father grabbed the belt at the side.

Without thinking, my legs brought me towards her, shielding her. I winced when the belt came in contact with my back.

“Are you okay!? Are you crazy!?” Iseul shouted, looking at me worriedly.

I smiled and nodded.

“Doo... Doojoon ah~” Her father called out.

“LOOK AT WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!?” Her mother shouted, running to me.

“I’m okay, I’m okay.” I smiled at them.

“Appa, if you hit her, you’ll regret it. What’s going on?” I asked.

“You ask her!!” He shouted, his anger back instantly.

I looked at Iseul. She was crying and looking down.

“She... She’s pregnant!” Her mother cried.

If I said I was not shocked, it would be a lie. But I managed to control my expression.

“NOW THAT DOOJOON IS HERE, ARE YOU STILL NOT GOING TO TELL US WHO IS THE FATHER!? DO YOU WANT ME TO HIT YOU!?” Her father shouted.

I pulled Iseul close to me, shielding her.

“SAY!!!!” Her father shouted, almost slapping her but I dodged his hand.

He stared at me with wide eyes.

“Don’t... don’t hit her, please.” I pleaded.

I had no idea why I said what I said after that, but there was no turning back.

“It’s my child. She’s pregnant with my child. Hit me instead.” I said.

I briefly saw Iseul staring at me in shock, then I was pulled away from her and pushed across the room, the chairs breaking my fall.

“WHAT DID YOU SAY!?” Her father screamed at me angrily.

“I said that she’s pregnant with my child!” I raised my voice.

He slapped me across my cheek.

“Don’t lie to me! You guys were never together!” He shouted.

“I’m not lying! I’m telling the truth!” I lied.

“DOODOO!!!” Iseul was crying. I glared at her as an indication to shut up.

“I was drunk one night and I took advantage of her! I’ll take responsibility!” I shouted.

“I’ll kill you both!” He shouted as he whipped me with his belt blindly.

I could hear Iseul and her mother screaming and crying.

“STOP IT! STOP!!! STOP!!!!” Iseul cried.

“STOP NOW!!” Her mother shouted.

True enough, the whipping stopped.

“Doodoo! Doodoo! Are you okay!?” Iseul held onto me.

I winced when she touched me, but leaning against her made everything so much better.

“Oh my god, you’re bleeding like crazy. Have you gone mad!? How could you...” I covered before she could continue.

“GET OUT! BOTH OF YOU! NEVER COME BACK AGAIN! I’LL TAKE IT AS IF I NEVER HAD A DAUGHTER LIKE YOU!” Her father shouted, throwing a bag at us.

“Appa!!!” Iseul cried.

“Go, go. Take him to a doctor. Come back when he cooled down. Baby girl, take good care of yourself. You’re not living for yourself anymore.” Her mother said with teary eyes.

“GET OUT!!!” Her father shouted.

Iseul helped me up and into the car.

“I’ll drive.” I said.

“DRIVE!? ARE YOU IN THE POSITION TO!?” She shouted at me.

“I’m sorry.” I apologized softly.

“No, no. I’m sorry. Stop talking already huh?” She said.

She got into the driver’s seat and turned to me.

“I’ll get you to the hospital.” She said.

“No, no. I’m okay. Don’t need the hospital.” I said.

“ARE YOU CRAZY!?” She shouted.

“Please, just listen to me.” I groaned in pain.

“What am I going to do with you?” She mumbled as she drove.

“Doodoo~ Doodoo~” She shook me lightly.

“Hmm?” I opened my eyes.

“I said no hospital~~” I said when I saw something that looks like the enterance of the hospital.

“What hospital? It’s the pharmacy. I’m going to get some medicine. Stay here for a while, okay?” She said.

“Okay.” I nodded, closing my eyes again.

The next time she woke me up, we were back at the dorm.

“What happened!?” I think I heard Junhyung’s voice, and then he grabbed my arm, causing me to shout in pain.

“What did I do!? What did I do!?” He asked in shock.

“You can’t exactly touch him without hurting him now.” Iseul said.

“Then... what do we do?” He asked.

“Doodoo, bear with the pain, okay? Once we get back, you can rest.” Iseul said.

I nodded, letting them grab my arms since I was aware I could not make it back up on my own.

“Hyung! What happened to you!?” I heard the other boys asked.

“Lie down. Be careful.” I heard Iseul say.

I felt my body lie down on something soft; my bed.

“Arghhh~ Why does my bed feel so uncomfortable~” I grumbled.

“It’s not your bed that’s uncomfortable, silly.” Iseul laughed.

“Here you go. Do you need my help?” I saw Junhyung come back with a bucket of water and a towel.

“I can handle. Thanks, Jun.” Iseul smiled.

“Rest well then.” Jun said as he headed out.

“Come on, I need to take off your shirt.” Iseul said.

“Aye~ You just want to see my body.” I said.

“The fact you still can kid around means you’re not in that much pain after all.” She said.

I shrugged my shoulders. I sat up with her help, letting her take off my shirt for me.

“Oh my god.” She covered , staring at my body.

“Have I put on weight?” I asked, staring at my stomach.

“Why did you do that? Are you crazy or what?” She asked, tears watering in her eyes.

“Then how about you?” I asked.

She kept quiet, dressing my wounds silently.

“How long?” I asked.

“What?” She asked.

“How long?” I asked pointing at her stomach.

“Two weeks.” She said quietly.

“Where is he?” I asked.

“I don’t know.” She said coldly.

“How could you not know?” I pressed on.

“HE LEFT, ALRIGHT!? HE LEFT ME! ARE YOU HAPPY NOW!?” She shouted, throwing the bandages into my face.

“He left, but I am here.” I said, pulling her into my embrace.

“I’m sorry, Doodoo! I’m sorry! I should have listened to you! He...” She choked on her own tears.

“Shhhh~ It’s fine now. It’s alright.” I hushed her.

“What do I do now!?” She cried.

“What do you mean what do you do now? I said I’ll take responsibility and I meant it.” I said.

She shook her head.

“It’s not even yours...” She cried.

“Does it matter? The baby is yours, and that’s enough. Worry about nothing now but how to take care of yourself. We’ll go through this together.” I said.

“You cannot do this. The baby and I will just be a burden to you!” She cried.

“Shhh~ Quiet now, Iseul ah~ Can you continue dressing my wounds? It’s a little cold now that I am topless.” I said.

“Ouh~ I forgot.” She chuckled, wiping her tears.