Friend, not fan

Can you hear me?

Iseul’s POV

It has been almost a month and a half since I returned and I was lucky enough to get a job as a forensic pathologist almost immediately, thanks to the hard work that paid off during my school days.

Doojoon was pretty grossed out by the idea that I face corpses every day, and I by saying one day I would be working on his body, so he better not offend me. Then again, of course I do not mean what I said. I would never want to work on Doojoon’s body. Not in this way. Not in any other way either. What am I saying!?

I came to the hospital to have lunch with a few friends and we were chilling over Starbucks after food when a friend from the emergency department came in, looking exhausted.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“So. Damn. Tired.” He sighed.

“Perks of working in the emergency department.” I smiled as I handed him my cup of coffee.

“I needed that. Thanks.” He said as he sipped on the drink.

“I heard something big happened.” One of us said.

“Yea. When celebrities get injured, even a small cut becomes something damn big.” He sighed.

“A celebrity got hurt?” I asked.

“We’re not supposed to say anything.” He said, leaning closer to me.

“But since we’re friends, I’ll tell you.” He continued.

I rolled my eyes. He obviously was dying to rant about it.

“It’s someone from Iris 2. The explosion scene was set at the wrong timing. A timing earlier than supposed. When they realize it, they called for everyone to take cover, but the actor was too slow, therefore he got hurt. Thankfully, he was not that close. Sustained burns and some cuts. Lucky to not be in a serious condition. But aie..~” He told us.

I froze. Iris 2? Actor?

“W.. Who?” I asked.

“Yoon Doojoon. The leader from…” I did not finish listening to him.

I grabbed my stuff and ran out.

“ARE YOU HIS FAN!?” I heard him shout.

Fan? I am his ing friend.

“Where is Yoon Doojoon?” I asked the nurse at the counter.

She looked at me with a frown.

“Fans are not allowed.” She scoffed.

I slammed my phone down hard on the countertop.

“I. Am. Not. His. Fan.” I hissed.

She looked at me in shock, so were the others.

“I’m his friend, so ing tell me where Yoon Doojoon is.” I said.

“NOW!” I shouted.

“He… he… he…” She stuttered.

“Iseul?” I turned when I heard a voice called my name. Beast manager.

“Why are you here?” He asked as he walked towards me.

“Where’s Doodoo!?” I asked.

He bit his lower lip.

“Did he say not to let me know? Screw that er. Tell me, or I’ll knock on every door in this hospital.” I said.

“Come.” He said, gesturing me to follow him.

“Are his injuries bad? How did he get hurt? Are they going to let him rest, or are they going to resume filming? Do the other boys know about it? Is he in a state of shock? Hey! Answer me!” I smacked his arm.

He laughed and shook his head.

“Which question do you want me to answer first? Do you even remember what you asked me?” He asked, arms crossed.

“I…” I muttered.

“His injuries are not very serious, but I wouldn’t say it is minor. He got hurt because of the explosion, if you have heard about it. Yes, they are going to let him rest, but someone needs to convince him that he needs to rest. The boys know, they will come later. And finally, yes, he is still in a state of shock, so don’t yell at him. Go on in, he is inside.” He said.

I did not even bother to knock the door. I opened the door, ready to yell at him, but when I saw him bandaged up and looking pale, my heart softened.

“Doodoo~” I called out.

He turned over. His eyes widened when he saw me.

“How come…” He muttered.

“You’re trying to hide it from me? Don’t you remember where I work? And even if not, don’t you know there’s this amazing thing called the internet? I’m going to hear of it anyway. How could you even think of not letting me know?” I sighed, sitting beside him.

“I just… didn’t want you to worry.” He muttered.

“Aigoo~ Look at your handsome face~ What if it leaves a scar?” I asked, caressing the dressing on his cheek lightly.

“Aren’t men manlier with a scar?” He asked, smiling slightly.

“What nonsense.” I laughed.

 “Go ask them when I can leave.” He said.

“What? No way. You’re resting here for at least three days.” I said.

“Three days!? I can’t. Iseul ah~ Do me a favour.” He pleaded.

“Do me a favour, Doodoo~ Just rest. Please.” I said.

“I… I can’t. I really can’t.” He said.

“At least for tonight.” I said, knowing I cannot win him in this argument.

He sighed and lied back down on the bed.

“If you’re scared, I’ll be here.” I said.

He laughed and rolled his eyes at me.

“What!?” I smacked his chest, forgetting about his injuries for a split second.

His face scrunched up in pain.

“I’M SORRY! I’M SO SORRY!!” I apologized quickly.

“Are you okay? Should I call the doctor!?” I asked.

“I.. I am okay.” He said, forcing a smile.

“I’m sorry.” I apologized again.

“No worries. Hey, get back to work.” He said.

“I’ve already taken the rest of the day off.” I said.

“Are you that afraid that I’ll run off?” He asked.

“Oh yea. I sure am afraid you’ll do that.” I said.

We stared at each other for a few seconds, and then started laughing.

“I want to take care of you, damn it!” I said.

“Be honored. Do you know how many people out there wish they would be in your position?” He asked.

“Shall I give them the chance to?” I asked.

“Nooooo!” He grabbed my hand. I flicked his forehead in return.

“Didn’t I tell you to be careful at work? How did you land yourself here? Everyone else took cover, what were you doing?” I asked.

“I…” He mumbled, looking at me.

“What? Were you so into the show you forgot you were filming?” I .

He smiled awkwardly.

“What? Is this a setup? Was someone trying to kill you?” I asked worriedly.

He laughed and shook his head.

“Now, who is into the show!?” He asked.

“Then why? What happened?” I asked.

He kept quiet. His silence was fishy. I forcefully turn his left side of his face over. He was not wearing his hearing aid. Other people might not realize it because it is really small and hidden when worn, but I definitely could tell whether he is wearing it or not just in a glance.

“I…” He mumbled.

“WHY!?” I shouted.

He covered his ears, wincing. He was deaf in one ear, but his other ear was extremely sensitive. I felt sorry for hurting him like that, but I was too angry to go soft on him.

“I had no choice. I had to wear a earpiece for the filming and I couldn’t fit it if I wore the hearing aid.” He said.

“And so? You went on a scene like that half deaf!?” I yelled.

“How would I have known such a thing would happen?” He asked.

“Exactly because you don’t know, you shouldn’t be assuming everything would go well! Even if everything does go well, don’t you have any idea how dangerous it is!? You could have died back there, Yoon Doojoon. If you were any closer, it would not be this bed you’re lying on, it’ll be the operating table in my department!” I yelled.

He said nothing, except look at me.

“I’ll tone my body first before going to meet you on that table of yours.” He said softly.

I tried to hold in my laughter, but failed.

“Laughing already? Laughing means we’re good.” He said.

“Who says we’re good? We’re not. I’m still very angry.” I said.

“Awww~ Please don’t be!” He shook my arm.

“I know your job is important, but your life is more important, to me, at least. I don’t care if I don’t get the next episode of Iris 2, but I care if I don’t get to see you alive anymore.” I said.

He smiled and lied back down.

“Ahh~ Hearing you say this, I can die in peace now.” He closed his eyes.

“What nonsense are you talking about!?” I yelled.

“Stop yelling. It really hurts.” He said, rubbing his ear.

“Alright, alright. Sorry.” I apologized.

“Where’s your hearing aid?” I asked.

“It was in my bag. I don’t know where my bag is now. Maybe with my manager.” He said.

“I’ll go get it for you.” I said.

“It’s fine. It’s much peaceful like that. I can only hear you talk, and that’s enough for me.” He said.

I looked away, not wanting him to see my tears that threatened to fall.

“Are you going to stay here?” He asked, eyes closed.

“Yes.” I said.

“Then I’m going to sleep.” He said.

“Sure. Sleep well.” I said, turning the lights off and covering the blanket over him.

“Iseul ah~” He called out suddenly.

“Hmm?” I responded.

“Nothing. Just that… It’s so quiet I can hear the sound of your breathing. It’s so… calming.” He said.

“Since it’s calming, then sleep.” I said.

He grabbed my hand and put it on his chest.

“Pat me.” He said.

“Are you a baby?” I laughed, but pat him anyway.

“I’m not a baby. It’s just that… your touch… so nice...” And then he fell asleep even before he finished speaking.

Doojoon ah, I am sorry. I should not be yelling at you. The one that deserves to be yelled at is me. If not for me, you will not even need that stupid thing. If you did not need it, you would not be lying here today. I am sorry, Doojoon ah~ I wish I could turn back time, then I would not be so reckless, I would not be such a , and this would not happen to you. 

***
tumblrml1oodk0w71s0vgaf.gifIseul: If you were any closer, it would not be this bed you’re lying on, it’ll be the operating table in my department!

tumblrmjgmzbr21t1rd2y3qd.gifDoojoon: Laughing already? Laughing means we’re good.