Sick

Can you hear me?

Doojoon’s POV

We were taking a break from our practice therefore, I retreated to the corner to get some sleep, in hope to ease the dull ache in my head.

 “Hyung, are you okay?” Dongwoon asked.

I was about to answer him when a coughing fit hit me.

He patted my back and hurriedly handed me a bottle of water.

“Thanks.” I choked out in between coughing.

“You’ve been coughing for quite a few days, have you seen the doctor?” He asked.

I shook my head.

“It’s fine.” I said.

“How is it fine?” He asked.

“We have medicine at home. Don’t need to see a doctor for this.” I said.

“But hyung…” He said.

“Don’t worry. Don’t worry. Come on, let’s get back to practice.” I said, patting his back.

We were behind time for our practice schedule and everyone was feeling anxious and tired. We were all in a bad condition from the lack of rest but everyone was still forcing themselves to go on.

I caught the cough a few days ago but paid no attention to it. It got worse and just when I wanted to go take the cough medicine because I did not want to risk spreading the virus to the other boys, I realize the medicine had expired.

 We were all busy and buying the cough medicine was really the least of my concern until now when I feel my body showing me the signs of breaking down. I constantly felt cold, I got breathless faster than usual and my movements were clumsy. I felt bad for slowing down the whole practice but I could not help it.

“Doojoon, I think you should see a doctor.” Our dance instructor said after I tripped over my own feet for the ten thousandth time today, causing the practice to stop.

“Yea, hyung.” Yoseob said.

“I’m so sorry.” I bowed to them.

“No, don’t apologize. We are not angry or anything. We’re concerned.” Junhyung said.

“I’ll go see a doctor after this. Let’s continue. I promise I wouldn’t make any more mistakes.” I said.

Our dance instructor shook his head.

“No. You look like you’ll pass out. Go see the doctor and get some rest first. I’ll coach you when you feel better.” He said.

I shook my head.

“Be good, Doojoon.” He said, as though he was coaxing a little boy.

“I’m sorry.” I broke down. I had no idea why I cried. It was either from the built-up stress and anxiety, or I was just feeling really tired and sick.

“Aigoo! Why are you crying!?” He laughed, hugging me.

“I just feel really sorry!!” I cried.

“So silly~” He laughed.

They were hugging me and laughing at the same time. Were they trying to hush me or mock me?

***
I was resting in the car while my manager drove me to the hospital when my phone rang.

“I’ll get it for you. Sleep.” He said.

I nodded, handing my phone to him.

“Oh, Iseul ah~” He called out.

“Iseul?” I opened my eyes, looking at him.

“Doojoonie is sick, so he’s resting.” He said before I could stop him.

“What?” He mouthed when he saw me frowning at him.

“Why did you tell her?” I hissed.

“She asked.” He said.

“Tsk~” I snatched the phone back from him.

“Doodoo? You’re sick?” Iseul asked.

“I’m okay. Just a little unwell.” I sighed.

“You don’t sound just a little unwell. Come to the hospital near my workplace. Jaehyun works there, and I am also on my way there. I’ll get him to see you.” She said.

“It’s fine. I’ll just go to the regular one.” I said.

“Come here.” She insisted.

“Alright, alright.” I sighed, knowing better not to go against her, or rather, I had no energy to argue with her.

When I arrived, she was already waiting outside.

“Omo~ You are so pale and yet you say you’re just a little unwell!?” She said when she saw me.

“It’s just the car that was cold.” I said.

“I didn’t even turn on the air-con.” My manager said.

“I’ll take him home later. You can go busy yourself.” Iseul said as she supported me by my arm.

“Alright then. I’ll be back soon. Doo, you okay?” He asked.

I nodded and waved goodbye to him.

“Come, Jaehyun’s waiting for you.” She said. Jaehyun; a beautiful name, but I hated it.

“Don’t need to bother him.” I said.

“How is it considered bother?” She asked.

I looked away, saying nothing.

“Do you feel very sick?” She asked, feeling my forehead. Yea, I feel really sick at the thought I have to see the both of you together.

I let her lead the way. She stopped in front of a room, knocked on the door and pushed it open.

“You’re here.” The voice I dreaded to hear most said.

“Come, sit down.” Iseul said.

“How are you feeling?” Jaehyun asked.

“Is it not obvious enough?” I glared at him.

“It was just a causal question.” He mumbled.

“Sorry, love. Doodoo here tends to be a little rude when unwell.” Iseul said, discreetly pinching the back of my arm.

He took my temperate and did all sorts of necessary checks.

“A bad case of cold, and although your fever is on the high side, there’s nothing to worry about. I’ll give you medication and please do rest a lot.” He said.

I nodded.

“I’ll go get your medicine for you.” Iseul said.

She left before I could protest, leaving me sitting awkwardly in the room with the man I never want to ever meet again.

“Erm… Do you want to lie down or something?” He asked.

I shook my head.

“Where’s the toilet?” I asked.

“Walk out and turn left.” He said.

“Thanks.” I mumbled as I stood up, wobbling a little.

“Are you okay?” He caught my arm.

“Yes.” I said, pulling my arm away from him.

“I’ll go with you.” He said.

“Thank you, but it’s alright.” I said, managing my own way out.

The toilet was near, thankfully. After I was done with my business, I headed back to where he was.

“But I can’t leave him alone.” I heard Iseul say.

“He’s not a baby anymore. He can take care of himself.” Jaehyun said.

I hid myself, eavesdropping their conversation.

“Every sick person is a baby. Come on, if you’re sick I’ll baby you too.” Iseul said.

“But you promised you’ll meet my friends tonight.” He said.

“Your friends aren’t leaving tonight or something, right? I’m not saying I wouldn’t meet your friends. Just not today.” She said.

“Not today, then when!?” He raised his voice at her.

I clenched my fists tight. How dare he shout at my Iseul?

“Keep your voice down.” Iseul said softly.

“What are you afraid of!?” He shouted.

“Please.” Iseul hissed, looking obviously embarrassed.

“Fine. If you want to go take care of him, then just go ahead.” He said. What a petty man~

“Don’t be unreasonable.” Iseul said, trying to control herself.

“I AM UNREASONABLE!?” He shouted at her again.

She looked really uncomfortable from all the unwanted attention they were drawing. I stepped out from where I was hiding, making my presence known.

“Doo.. Doodoo. You’re done? Let’s.. let’s go.” Iseul said, looking at me. I saw her taking a brief glance at Jaehyun who expertly had a total different expression from just now.

“We were about to go look for you. You were taking so long. Are you okay?” He asked, sounding so caring that it makes me want to puke.

I nodded.

“Darling, do you want to send Doojoon home, or can he go home on his own?” He asked Iseul.

“Erm… I…” Iseul stuttered.

Iseul was never like this.

“I’ll go home on my own. Don’t bother.” I said, taking the bag of medicine from her hand and walking off.

“Doodoo, wait!” She ran after me.

“He said he could go home on his own.” Jaehyun said.

He looked at me with an expression that was so mocking. If I had enough energy to do so, I would love to punch him across his cheek.

“I’ll just send him down, alright!?” Iseul exploded. Now, this is my Iseul.

“Let’s go.” She said, grabbing my arm and pulling me into the lift.

She punched the button to the ground floor before crossing her arms over her chest, puffing her cheeks in anger.

“Are you okay?” I asked.

“Yea.” She mumbled.

“I overheard your conversation with him.” I admitted.

She looked up, surprised. I shrugged my shoulders and smiled at her.

“I…” She muttered.

“Iseul ah, I know you very well. When you love someone, you are willing to put down every single bit of pride in you just to make the other party smile. You’re an angel like that.” I said.

She shook her head.

“But Iseul, some people are not worth your love and sacrifice.” I continued.

“He’s not like that.” She mumbled.

“I saw how he treated you. He used the humiliation method to get what he wanted from you, and I don’t like it.” I said.

“I can still send you home.” She said softly.

“The problem here is not about sending me home or not. I can take a cab home, no big deal. But you don’t deserve the way he treated you.” I said.

“He’s just stressed from work today. He’s usually not like this.” She said.

“Really?” I asked.

She nodded.

“Then let’s hope he’ll feel better tomorrow or later on when I am gone.” I said.

“Doodoo~” She pouted.

“Iseul ah, please find someone who loves you more than you love him, because only like that can I finally let you go.” I said.

“Why do you want to let me go?” She asked, looking confused.

I smiled and messed her hair.

“Go on up. I’ll get a cab home. No worries.” I said.

“Call me when you get back, okay? Remember to eat something before you eat your medicine.” She said.

I nodded.

“And if you still feel bad, call me. Don’t hide it from me or I’ll get angry.” She said, pretending to get angry.

I laughed and pinched her cheek.

“Go on.” I said.

“Remember to call me.” She said.

I nodded and turned my back to leave.

Why do I want to let you go, Iseul, you ask? I would never let you go if I had a choice, but I do not, because you did not choose me.