Cold

Can you hear me?

Iseul’s POV

“Hello? Doo?” I called out as soon as he answered the call.

“Yea? What?” He answered.

I sighed at his coldness.

“I was just wondering… How about dinner… tonight?” I asked.

“I can’t.” He said.

“Tomorrow night?” I suggested.

“Can’t.” He said.

“The day after tomorrow? Next week? Next month? I’m free all nights. I’m sure you’ll be free for at least one. Pick one.” I said, or rather, almost begging.

“I’m not free.” He said.

“Not free or don’t want to!?” I lost my temper.

It has been almost a month since that day. Ever since then, he has been avoiding me. I had no idea if he was angry or upset, or both. But, Doojoon has never been angry with me for so long. We always make up at that point of time itself or sometime within the day.

“I don’t want to.” He said, his voice so cold it felt like someone poured a bucket of ice water onto me.

“Why?” I asked.

“There’s no reason.” He said.

“Are we… not friends… anymore?” I asked.

He kept quiet.

“I need to go.” He said.

“Answer me! Why are you avoiding my question!?” I yelled.

“I need to get back to work, Iseul ah~” He said.

“Please, Doodoo~ Let’s meet up and then we’ll talk. Please?” I pleaded.

“Okay. Tonight then. But I don’t know what time…” I interrupted him before he could finish.

“Any time! I’ll wait for you! Just come!” I said hurriedly, afraid that he might change his mind.

“Where?” He asked.

“Our usual, of course.” I said.

“Alright.” He said.

“I’ll see you there then!” I said before ending the call.

I knocked off work early and headed to the café to wait for him. While waiting, I continued with my work. I found myself behaving like a puppy waiting for its owner to return, looking up excitedly at the door whenever I hear it open.

After a few hours of waiting, I was starting to get restless. I contemplated calling him but I decided against it. After all, it was I asking to meet him, and I did say I would wait no matter what. I started doodling on my paper to keep myself awake. I did not even bother to look up whenever the door opens. I was too tired for that.

“Miss…?” A voice called out.

I looked up to find the waiter looking at me.

“Oh. Are you guys closing?” I asked, glancing at the time. 12.30AM.

He smiled and shook his head.

“We’re 24 hours.” He chuckled.

“Ahhh~” I covered my face in embarrassment.

How could I forget that this place is 24 hours? Exactly because it is 24 hours that is why it became Doo and I’s usual meet up place.

“I’ve seen you here since my shift started, and now I am already leaving. Are you waiting for someone?” He asked.

“Yes, I am. I’ll go get another drink then.” I said, feeling pretty bad for hogging up the seat for so many hours.

“Don’t worry about that.” He said as he handed me a slice of cake and a cup of drink.

“It’s on the house.” He said.

“Eh?” I looked at him, surprised.

“It’s on the house, but don’t stay too long. I hope your friend comes soon. How can he or she make you wait so long? Tsk~” He said.

“I deserve to wait, because I am at fault.” I smiled.

“Whatever it is, go home soon. You don’t deserve to be waiting stupidly like that. Anyway, enjoy!” He waved to me before bidding goodbye to his fellow colleagues and then headed out.

I stared at the cake, thinking over his words. Doojoon in the past would have never let me wait so long. Most of the time, it was him waiting for me. Is he really very angry this time? Is our friendship really over?

Doojoon’s POV

We ended our practice later than usual, but none of us dared to show signs of tiredness because our dance instructor was working harder than us, so who are we to even complain? But I could not help but keep glancing over at the clock. Is Iseul still waiting? That stupid girl~

The moment our instructor ended the practice, I raced to my phone to check if she left me any messages or calls. The only text message from her was her telling me that she had arrived. The time then was 4.30PM.

“Shall we go eat something? I’m so hungry!” Hyunseung said.

“You guys go ahead. I have somewhere to go.” I said as I hurriedly packed my bags.

“Where are you going?” Junhyung asked.

“Meeting someone.” I said.

“It’s already so late. Which idiot would stay to wait for you?” He asked.

“An idiot.” I said.

“Iseul?” He asked.

I looked down.

“Yea, she’s pretty much an idiot. You better go quick. But come back soon, it’ll be another long day tomorrow.” He said.

“I’ll see you guys later.” I smiled as I hurried out.

“Doojoon, where are you going?” My manager asked when he saw me run out.

“Out for awhile. I’ll be back quick.” I said, running off, not giving him a chance to hold me back.

“Ahjusshi… Could you… drive a little faster?” I asked the cab driver timidly. I really did not want to do it but he was driving so slowly.

“Are you rushing for time?” He asked with a smile.

“Kind… of.” I said.

He smiled and sped up a little.

“Meeting your girlfriend?” He asked.

“We’re friends.” I said.

“Then she must be very important to you for you to rush out in the midnight like this.” He said.

I said nothing except smile. Of course, Iseul is very important to me.

“Thank you. Keep the change.” I said as I handed the cab driver the money.

The café was in a secluded lane so I had to walk a little, but instead I found myself running. While I ran, many thoughts went through my mind. Would Iseul still be there? Would she be angry? What would she say? What would we talk about? What is going to happen?

When I finally arrived at the café, I smiled to myself when I saw her sitting at our usual corner, sipping on her cup of drink. I cooled myself down before heading into the café.

“Welcome~” The waiter greeted, taking a brief glance at me before going back to his phone. However, to my surprise, Iseul did not look up.

I walked over to her and stood in front of her. She looked up, and then let out a bright smile.

“You’re here!” She grinned as she pulled out the chair for me to sit down.

“Are you hungry? Have you eaten? I’ll get you your usual drink and cake!” She said excitedly.

I grabbed her hand, not letting her go.

“Sit down. I don’t need anything. I have to leave soon.” I said.

I had no idea why I was cold to her. I was not angry, but neither do I know why I am acting like this.

“Ouh.” She pouted.

“But… you sure?” She asked.

“Very.” I said.

She sat down across me, looking so sad I wanted to hug her.

“We could… share this.” She said, pushing her cup of drink towards me.

I shook my head.

“Okay then.” She said softly.

“So, what is it that you wanted to say?” I asked.

“I…” She bit her lower lip.

We were silent for a while until I broke it.

“If you have nothing to say, then I am leaving.” I said.

“Don’t go!” She grabbed my arm tightly.

“I… I just want to apologize! I didn’t mean to threaten you that day! I don’t even mean it the way I said it! I… I just didn’t want you to get hurt or get into trouble.” She explained.

“I know.” I said. I heard it when she cried to Junhyung.

“You know?” She asked.

“I do. But while you don’t mean what you said, I absolutely meant what I said.” I said.

No, Yoon Doojoon, you don’t~

“You are very important to me, Doojoon ah~ Don’t make me choose.” She said, eyes watering.

“Then don’t choose.” I said.

She looked at me.

“Be happy, Iseul ah~” I said.

“What does this mean!?” She shouted.

“We’re still friends, of course. If you need my help, I’ll help you and so on. Don’t worry.” I said.

“What about best friends!? We’re best friends, aren’t we!?” She cried.

“That is for kids, Iseul ah. We need to grow up.” I said as I stood up.

“You’re so ing petty! I hate you!” She shouted, smashing the slice of cake into my face.

“Do that to him if he ever tries to hurt you again, okay?” I smiled as I wiped the cake off.

I turned my back and walked out.

Yoon Doojoon, what have you just done?

***
It has been a month since the night in the café and Iseul has stopped contacting me. To say I was not affected and upset would be a lie, but thankfully, our busy schedules drained me so much that I did not have the opportunity to feel the emptiness of not having Iseul.

We were all so tired that every break time we had, we would try to rest ourselves or catch some sleep. There was hardly any laughter or voices anymore. Everyone just wanted to spend some quiet time alone.

I was closing my eyes, resting my tired body when I felt my phone vibrate. I answered it with my eyes still closed.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Doojoon ah!” A panicked voice shouted.

In the background, I could hear shouting and crying. I sat up in shock. I took a quick glance at the caller ID. It was Iseul’s house.

“Hello!?” I called out again.

“Doojoon ah!!!” Iseul’s mother was crying.

“Umma! What’s wrong!?” I asked.

The boys all stopped whatever they were doing and turned to look at me.

“He is going crazy! He will kill Iseul! Please help her!” She cried.

“Who is going crazy? Who will kill Iseul!?” I asked.

“Go, go, go, go!” Junhyung pulled me up and dragged me to the door.

“Your Appa! I mean, Iseul’s Appa! He’s going to kill her! He has lost his mind! Doojoon ah!” She cried hard.

“Umma! Listen! I’m coming now! Don’t cry! Try to calm them down but don’t get hurt, okay?” I said.

“HOW DID I BRING YOU UP!? DON’T YOU DARE CALL YOURSELF MY DAUGHTER!” I heard Iseul’s father shout in the background.

“I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” Iseul was crying.

What the hell is going on?