Ashamed

Can you hear me?

Iseul’s POV

I cradled Eun in my arms as I sat next to Doojoon who was asleep on the bed. Tears sting my eyes as I looked at him. Doojoon was always smiling and full of energy despite his tiredness, I never thought I would ever see him in a situation like this. It pained me so much.

“Hey, princess.” I smiled at Eun when she opened her eyes.

She said something in her own language, and then snuggled her face into my chest.

“Sorry, princess. I am sorry.” I said, patting her back.

I turned to the door when it opened. The doctor walked in and smiled at me.

“Can we talk?” He asked.

I nodded and took a glance at Doojoon before following the doctor out.

“How is he?” I asked.

“He has lots of physical injuries, but those will all heal soon.” He said.

I nodded.

“But…” He said.

“But?” I asked.

“I am more worried about his mental state. He was not responding to me when I talked to him while dressing his wounds.” He said.

He looked at me, as if wanting to say something more but seemed unsure.

“He… he got .” I sighed.

“So you knew?” He asked.

“He told me when I found him.” I said.

“You have to keep a close watch on him. I am really worried about his mental health. But unlike physical injuries, I could not force medication onto him.” He said.

“I will.” I said.

“Also, I have a question.” He said.

“Yea?” I asked.

“Is there a reason why he only wears the hearing aid on one side?” He asked.

“Because he is only deaf in one side?” I said.

He looked at me, surprised.

“Only one side?” He asked.

I nodded.

“But…” He muttered.

“Is he… not?” I asked.

“I thought he was too, but when I did some simple tests on him, he did not respond. It seems like he is affected in both ears.” He said.

I stared at the doctor in shock. How come Doojoon never mentioned anything to me? Why does it feel like I never knew Doojoon at all?

After the doctor left, I sat alone outside, holding Eun in my arms. I looked down at her. She was chewing on her hand.

“Eun, why do I feel so horrible?” I asked, pulling her hand out from .

She chewed on her other hand instead.

“Eun ah~” I grabbed onto both her hands.

She looked at me and chewed on air instead. I could not help but laugh at her cuteness.

“Iseul!” Someone shouted my name, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I turned to the source of the voice to find the other boys running towards me.

“How Doo!?” Junhyung was the first to ask.

“Inside. Still asleep.” I said.

He was about to barge into the room when I stopped him. I know Doojoon should be telling them about what happened himself, but I felt that they needed to know beforehand as well.

“I have stuff to tell you guys, but please, please, please keep calm, okay?” I said.

They looked at me, seemingly realizing the seriousness. I sat them down and told them everything from why I left Eun with Jaehyun, Doojoon’s phone call, what I saw when I got home, and Doojoon’s deafness in both ears.

They were all staring at me in shock after I was done.

Junhyung was the first to speak.

“I hope you do realize that this is all your fault.” He said coldly before pushing pass me and went into the room Doojoon was.

“I…” I muttered.

The other boys said nothing except follow him in. Were they all thinking about the same thing; that this is all my fault? But then again, they are not wrong to think this way. It is indeed my fault.

Eun touched my cheek with her saliva-coated hand.

“What do we do now, Eun ah?” I asked.

She shoved her fist into my mouth. Was she indirectly telling me to it up and go on?

Doojoon’s POV

I opened my eyes slightly, and then shut it again when the lights blinded me. My head was aching badly, as if someone kicked my head around like a football. My body hurt so much. Is this how a punching bag feels after being punched by an angry person?

“Doojoonie~ Doojoonie~ Are you up?” A familiar voice asked.

I opened my eyes slowly, letting it adjust to the brightness. Yoseob’s face became much clearer now.

“He’s awake!” He said excitedly.

I said nothing, except stare at him. I looked behind him. They were all here, but honestly, I did not want them here now.

“Doojoonie~” He called out again, trying to get my attention.

I looked away, hoping that they would get the message.

“Doojoon ah~” Junhyung said, sitting beside me.

“Doojoon, please look at me.” He said, trying to get me to face him, but I resisted it.

“Alright, alright. It’s okay. But at least listen, okay?” He sighed.

“I cannot say we totally understand how you are feeling right now, because we don’t. But Doojoon, no matter what happens, you’ll always be our Doojoonie, and we’ll always be here for you. I understand you may need some time alone, but please don’t push us away. We love you, Doojoon ah, however you may be.” He said, burying his face into my chest.

I felt a slight wetness on my chest. Was he crying? I closed my eyes, not wanting to have any eye contact with them. It was not because I hated them, but I was ashamed of myself. I could hear them sniffing softly which pained me. They should not be crying.

“We’ll come back again.” Junhyung said softly after awhile.

He covered the blanket properly over me before leaving. I buried my face into my palms and cried myself to sleep, feeling so pathetic.

I was awaken by noises in the room. Someone was here. I opened my eyes to find Iseul busying herself around. Eun was seated in her baby seat next to me, staring at her toes. She squealed when our eyes met.

“Eun ah~ Shhhh~ Doodoo is asleep.” Iseul said, back facing me.

Eun started giggling and stretching her hand out at me. I almost let her hold onto my hand, but I pulled back.

“Eun~ I said shhh~” Iseul said before turning.

“Oh! You’re up!” She said, smiling at me.

“How are you feeling?” She asked, sitting next to me, holding onto my hand.

I pulled my hand away quickly.

“Doo..” She muttered, staring at me in shock.

I wanted her to hold me, I wanted her to hug me, but I could not allow my dirty self to taint her.

I saw tears watering in her eyes, but she covered it up with a smile. Iseul was always good at controlling her expression.

“Are you hungry? I cooked you some porridge.” She said, heading to the table.

“Eat some?” She asked.

I shook my head.

“But I spent time to cook it.” She said, pouting.

I looked out of the window. They were all just concerned, but I really did not want to see any of them now.

“Alright, whether you want to eat it or not, it’s okay. But I’ll go get it heated up anyway. I’ll leave Eun with you, okay?” She said.

She left the room, not giving me a chance to say no.

I turned to Eun who was still trying to stretch her short arm towards me. Why are you trying so hard, Eun?

The further I moved from her, the more she tried to stretch. She went so far out she tilted the seat, almost causing her to fall off. I was so glad I was fast enough to hold onto her.

She chuckled and cupped my cheeks before resting her cheek against my chest, holding tightly onto my shirt, not letting go of me.

Eun, it is not very nice of you to cheat, you know~

***
tumblrlhquctpki91qd4p4z.gifJunhyung: I cannot say we totally understand how you are feeling right now, because we don’t. But Doojoon, no matter what happens, you’ll always be our Doojoonie, and we’ll always be here for you. I understand you may need some time alone, but please don’t push us away. We love you, Doojoon ah, however you may be.