Lost

Can you hear me?

Iseul’s POV

 “You guys… should talk.” Kikwang said, excusing himself.

“Don’t be angry please.” I said, tugging onto Doojoon’s sleeve.

“I’m not.” He said so softly I almost could not hear.

“I’m not hurt.” I said.

He turned to look at me. His eyes were moist.

“What happened?” He asked.

I bit my lower lip, contemplating if I should tell him or not.

“Should I go ask him instead?” He asked.

I shook my head.

“Tell me, Iseul ah!” He raised his voice, his fists clenched.

“Alright, but promise me you’ll stay calm.” I said, lightly brushing my thumb over the fresh cut on his knuckles.

/FLASHBACK

I tried to look as interested as possible in the conversations Jaehyun was having with his friends, but I really had no idea what they were talking about, and I have to admit I was worried for Doojoon. He only texted to let me know he was back home, and then he did not reply my messages anymore. Was he asleep? Was he still sick? Were the other boys back to look after him?

“Iseul~” Jaehyun nudged me.

“Huh?” I snapped out of my thoughts, looking at him.

“Are you okay?” He asked.

I nodded.

“My friend is talking to you.” He said.

“Oh. I’m sorry. What did you say?” I asked, turning to them.

“How is it like being a forensic pathologist?” One of them asked.

“It’s the same as you being a doctor, except I deal with dead people.” I said.

“Well, it’s less stressful, I guess. I should have gone that line instead. It is a much easier degree to take, right?” He said.

I shrugged my shoulders.

“It depends on how you see it. I don’t get blamed for the deaths of the dead people, if that’s what you mean by ‘less stressful’. But every job and field of study has its own pros and cons. You cannot compare it so simply. It’s like saying being a father is less stressful than being a mother, but really?” I asked.

The friend of his frowned, and then nodded awkwardly. He was about to say something when my phone rang with a text message. I knew it was Doojoon because of the different ringtone I set for him.

“Excuse me.” I said as I grabbed my phone and made my way out.

‘Sorry. I was asleep.’ Doojoon replied me.

I gave him a call instead of replying to him.

“How are you feeling?” I asked the moment he answered the call.

He responded with a yawn.

“Ahh~ You’re tired?” I laughed.

“No. I just happened to yawn. I’m feeling okay. No worries~” He said in a husky voice.

“How can I not worry? You hardly fall sick, but once you do, it’s bad.” I said.

“Haaa~ You know me eh?” He asked.

“Of course. Have you eaten anything yet?” I asked.

“I don’t feel like eating.” He sighed.

“Why? You have to eat something.” I tried to coax him.

“Later maybe.” He said, sounding tired already.

“Are you very tired?” I asked.

“Slightly. The medicine is making me feel like a sponge.” He said.

I laughed at his description.

“How about you? Where are you?” He asked.

“I’m outside.” I said.

“Dinner with Jaehyun? Maybe you should go back to him.” He said.

“Nah~ He’s with his friends, talking about their doctor stuff. I can’t understand any of their lingoes.” I said.

“Aren’t you a doctor too?” He asked.

“I’m a forensic pathologist. I deal with the dead, while they deal with the living.” I said.

“Dead or alive, still human. And, while the living can tell you where hurts, the death can’t, it makes your job tougher that way. You got to really dig into it to find out the cause of his/her death.” He said.

“Doodoo, you don’t know how much hearing you say this means to me.” I sighed.

“Did they say mean stuff to you? Put you down? Think they are all? Tell them they can themselves. The world doesn’t need arrogant doctors like them.” He said.

 “You’re amazing, okay? You’re so brave to choose to be in this line. I’m pretty sure if you ask them to take your place for just an hour, they’ll pee their pants.” He continued.

I laughed at his words.

“I’m serious.” He said.

“I know.” I said.

“They can look down on you, but one day, you’ll be the one cutting them open.” He said.

“I wouldn’t want to do that.” I said.

“Right. Don’t need to waste your precious time on them.” He said.

We were silent over the phone for a while. It was a comfortable silence.

“Doodoo~” I called out.

“Hmm?” He responded.

“Stop biting your nails.” I said.

“Oh my god! Are you spying on me!?” He exclaimed.

I laughed loudly, so did he. Doodoo, do I need to spy on you to know what you are doing?

“I should get back inside.” I sighed.

“We can text.” He said.

“Get some rest, and eat something.” I said.

“I will.” He said.

“And stop biting your nails. Are you three?” I asked.

“I didn’t!” He laughed.

“Right, right. You didn’t.” I said.

“If they continue to put you down, just smile at them, and then silently plot how to cut them open alive.” He said.

“I sure will!” I said.

“Remember to share the plan with me.” He said.

“Of course!” I said.

“Talk to you soon.” He said.

“Yeap~” I responded.

I stayed on the line, and so did he. However, after a minute or two, he ended it.

“You done talking?” A cold voice asked from behind.

I turned to see Jaehyun staring at me.

“What?” I asked, standing up.

“I asked you to come meet my friends, and here you are outside talking to him?” He asked.

“I am already here, what more do you want from me?” I asked.

“Your body is here but your soul is not! You’re not even interested!” He raised his voice.

“How do you expect me to be interested when you guys obviously are not trying to include me in your conversation?” I asked.

“My friend did ask you stuff and you gave such a rude, sarcastic answer!” He said.

“Yea, he sure did ask. He asked for the sake of putting me down. And what? Rude and sarcastic answer? Well, that was just a small part. I could go even more sarcastic. Do you want to hear it?” I asked.

He bite down on his jaw, glaring hard at me.

“And you said nothing to protect me. Awesome~” I said.

“He is not entirely wrong.” He said.

“What?” I asked.

“He is not entirely wrong. Your job is sure not as tough as ours.” He said.

“Why, thank you.” I smiled.

“You know what? I think I’ll leave first. I’m really tired. My job is not the cause of it, because it is well, not supposed to be as tiring as yours. It is your face I am tired of. Enjoy your night.” I said as I turned to leave.

“Where do you think you’re doing!? How dare you leave and embarrass me like that!?” He grabbed my arm, yanking me back.

“I am embarrassing you!? I am an embarrassment!? Wow!” I raised my voice at him.

His grip on my arm started to tighten. I could tell from his face that if I said anything else, he would explode. Jaehyun had anger issues and I always try to let him have his ways, but I was really annoyed by his words tonight.

“Let go of me.” I said calmly.

“Come the back in now.” He said.

“No.” I said, pulling my arm away from his grip.

“Fine! Leave! Go to him! You think I don’t know you’ve been yearning to be with him all day long!?” He yelled.

“Don’t drag Doodoo into this.” I warned him.

“Protecting him?” He smirked.

I glared hard at him.

“At least Doo’s worth my protection.” I said.

He narrowed his eyes, and then even before I could react, he slapped me across my face so hard I fell over, hitting my waist against the edge of the bench.

“Don’t you dare talk about another guy in my presence. You are my girlfriend. ing remember that.” He said dangerously, and then left me.

Passersby were staring at us. Some came over to ask if I was okay.

“Thanks. I’m fine.” I muttered.

“You deserve better.” One person smiled, and then he left.

/END OF FLASHBACK

I did not dare to look at Doojoon. I knew he was fuming mad.

“But he apologized the next day. He said he had no idea what went into him. I guess, perhaps it’s work stress.” I quickly explained.

“So? Does being stress give him an excuse to behave in this way? We’re all working and we’re all facing stress. There is no one stress that is bigger or smaller than another is. Do not try to find an excuse for his poor ability to deal with stress.” He said.

“But he apologized.” I mumbled.

“He ing slapped you and humiliated you in public! What’s wrong with you!? Is he that awesome that you cannot live without him!? Did he drug you or something!? Wake up, you stupid girl!!” He shouted at me.

“Stop yelling.” I said softly.

His face was red.

“And calm down please. Your fever will find its way back to you if you continue being so angry.” I said.

“Is my fever the most important thing right now? Get your ing priorities right!” He shouted.

The door opened, revealing Yoseob, Junhyung, Hyunseung and Dongwoon, staring at us curiously.

“I could hear you shouting from outside, Doo. What’s wrong?” Junhyung asked.

“You ask her!” Doojoon shouted before turning away.

I was about to say something when my phone rang. Jaehyun~

“Hey. I’ll call you later.” I answered.

“Where are you?” He asked.

“I’m out. I’ll call you later.” I said hurriedly.

“Are you with Doojoon again?” He asked.

“I’ll call you back. Please.” I sighed.

The boys were looking at me, Doojoon was fuming, and then now Jaehyun is probing me like as though I was a criminal.

“What are you doing in his place!? I told you never to go there! How can you go alone to a house with six guys!?” He shouted.

“DAMN IT! YOU DON’T ING CONTROL MY LIFE, OKAY!? I GO TO WHEREVER I WANT TO GO AND YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS TO BOSS ME AROUND! YOU’RE MY BOYFRIEND, NOT MY OWNER! IF YOU WANT TO CONTROL SOMETHING SO BADLY, GO ING GET A DOG!” I yelled and threw my phone out of the window.

“Oh my goodness! We don’t… exactly live on a low level.” Yoseob said as he ran towards the window.

“Did it hit anyone?” Hyunseung asked as he joined him.

“I don’t think so. No one shouted. There’s no one down there too. Let’s go get it back.” Dongwoon said as he headed out.

 “Look! You just sacrifice your phone! Was it worth it!?” Doojoon asked, trying to not laugh, but failed.

“Actually the point here is that she might have killed someone and would have to go to jail. What’s wrong with the both of you? Get your priorities right.” Junhyung said.

“OH MY GOSH I SAW SOMETHING FLEW OUT JUST NOW! DID YOU GUYS SEE IT!?” Kikwang asked, his eyes wide.

“We saw it! We saw it! Do you think it is a UFO!?” Junhyung .

“UFO!? WHO SHOULD WE CALL!?” Kikwang grabbed the phone, waiting to dial a number.

Junhyung gave him a number, and then the dorm’s phone rang. Junhyung went over to answer it.

“Really, Kikwang? UFO? Are you mad? Have you seen a UFO that tiny? Or rather, do you think UFOs are that tiny?” He said.

“Hyung! Why is it you!?” Kikwang asked, staring at the phone.

Doojoon was finally laughing.

“Stop bullying him.” He sighed as he took the phone away from Junhyung and Kikwang.

“It wasn’t a UFO, Kiki. Iseul threw her phone out.” He said.

“Oh… It’s just… Wait, what? ISEUL! YOU THREW YOUR PHONE OUT!?” Kikwang exclaimed.

“I was angry.” I said softly.

“See, that’s why, Kiki, we should never offend women. They might just throw us out like that.” Junhyung said, pushing Kikwang towards the window, causing the poor boy to scream in shock.

“Stop bullying him.” Doojoon sighed, massaging his temples.

“Are you okay?” I asked.

He nodded tiredly. I felt his forehead.

“It’s a little hot.” I said.

“It’s fine.” He said.

“Iseul! Your phone is amazing!” Yoseob exclaimed as they came back.

“Why?” I asked.

“You threw it down from so high, but it’s not like shattered into a million pieces! It’s shattered no doubt, but still in one piece!” He showed me my phone excitedly.

It started ringing, startling all of us.

“OMO!! IT WORKS!!!!” Dongwoon shouted, smacking Junhyung who did not look pleased.

To say I was not surprise would be a lie. But my excitement died down when I saw that it was Jaehyun who was calling. I was about to take the phone from Yoseob when Doojoon snatched it from him.

“Doo!!” I yelled when he went to the kitchen, grabbed the chopping board and hit my phone with it countless times until it died completely.

“I’ll buy you a new phone.” He said coldly.

No one dared to say anything.

The silence was broken by loud banging on the door.

“ISEUL!!! I KNOW YOU’RE INSIDE!!! OPEN THE BLOODY DOOR!!!” A loud voice shouted. Jaehyun, again.

“Who is that?” Yoseob asked, sounding scared.

Hyunseung went to open the door before I could stop him. Jaehyun shoved him aside, letting himself in.

“I TOLD YOU NOT TO COME! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING COMING TO A HOUSE FULL OF GUYS!?” Jaehyun shouted at me.

“Excuse me, Sir, but who are you?” Dongwoon asked.

“None of your bloody business!” Jaehyun shouted.

“You came into our place, create a scene and then say this?” Doojoon asked.

I tugged onto his shirt.

“Please.” I was close to tears. The last thing I want to see was the both of them fighting.

“Whoever you are, please get out.” Junhyung said.

“I’m her boyfriend. Listen up, all of you. She’s mine.” Jaehyun said, pointing at the boys.

“What do you take Iseul for? Some inanimate object?” Doojoon asked. I could tell he was controlling himself.

“Please do not create a scene here. Leave the boys out of this.” I said.

“Who said you could speak, bloody !” He shouted at me.

Did he just call me a ? The boys looked as shocked as I was. Moving faster than lightning, Doojoon was already pinning Jaehyun against the wall.

“What did you just call her?” He hissed.

“Doojoon! Please! No!!!” I tried to pull him away.

“How dare you call Iseul a ? How is Iseul a ? You bloody son of a .” Doojoon said, his grip on Jaehyun’s collar tightened.

“Doojoon, please.” Junhyung tried to tug Doojoon away.

“DO YOU GUYS KNOW WHAT HE DID TO HER!?” Doojoon shouted, still glaring hard at Jaehyun.

The boys looked at me. I looked down, so embarrassed I wanted to just disappear.

“This is the guy that hit you, Iseul!?” Kikwang asked.

“HE HIT YOU!?” The boys shouted.

“No! No! No!!! Stop it!!!!” I yelled.

“You told on me, !?” Jaehyun shouted at me.

Doojoon raised his clenched fist.

“HIT HIM AND OUR FRIENDSHIP IS OVER!” I threatened him.

I was not doing this for Jaehyun. I just did not want Doojoon to get into trouble.

Doojoon’s fist stopped midair. I was surprised, honestly. I thought he would go ahead and punch him.

“You put our friendship on the line just to save him?” Doojoon asked, tears watering in his eyes.

I said nothing.

“Don’t risk your friendship with Iseul for him, Doojoon ah.” Junhyung said, pulling Doojoon away.

Just as I was about to let out the breath I had been holding, Junhyung turned and swing his fist across Jaehyun’s cheek, giving him a bloody nose and lip, startling everyone in the house, including Doojoon.

“I’ll punch on your behalf, Doojoon ah~ That’s what brothers are for.” Junhyung said, glaring hard at Jaehyun.

“And this, it is for hitting Iseul. How dare you.” He mumbled, then kicked Jaehyun in his stomach so hard it sent him flying out of the door.

Hyunseung conveniently kicked the door shut, leaving Jaehyun to scream and threaten them from outside. I could not be bothered about him, my concern now was Doojoon.

“Doojoon ah~ I didn’t mean to threaten you. I..” He stopped me before I could finish.

“It’s okay.” He said softly.

“But you know what, Iseul?” He asked.

“Huh?” I asked, my heart racing.

“A girl cannot have a boyfriend and a guy best friend at the same time. It’s too difficult. You can only choose one.” He said.

“Stop making me choose!! What are you talking about!?” I yelled, not bothering about the fact the boys behind were staring at us.

“I’m not making you choose. You’ve already chose, and your choice is not me.” He said.

I shook my head as I cried.

He patted my head and smiled despite the tears that were flowing down his cheeks.

“You’re a smart girl. You know what is best for you. Be happy, Iseul ah. I love you.” He said before walking back to his room, leaving me to cry.

“Doodoo!! It’s not like that!! It’s not!!!!” I shouted.

“Shhhh~ Let him calm down.” Junhyung hugged me, letting me cry into his chest.

“I did not mean to hurt him like that! I did not mean to threaten him! But I did it for him!!! I did not want him to get hurt or get into trouble!! Why!?” I cried hard.

Did I just lose my best friend? How did it happen?

***
tumblrmlev7zgkls1ryeo7p.gifIseul: HIT HIM AND OUR FRIENDSHIP IS OVER!

tumblrml5yfcvhok1rdjs5l.gifDoojoon: A girl cannot have a boyfriend and a guy best friend at the same time. It’s too difficult. You can only choose one.