Can we?

Can you hear me?

Doojoon’s POV

I stood outside the cafe, contemplating if I should go in or not. I have been here since twenty minutes ago but I did not dare to go in. I watch as he sat there, twirling the spoon in the cup of coffee. We used to be so comfortable together, but why is this happening now?  I jumped when our eyes met. Now that he had saw me, there was no escaping. As reluctant as I am, I went inside.      

“Hello.” I said softly as I bowed to him.

“Hi, Doo. Have a seat. Do you want to eat something? They have your favourite cake today. Shall I get it for you?” He asked.

“No, no, no. It’s fine.” I said.

“Why not? Let me go buy it for you.” He smiled, leaving the seat, not giving me a chance to stop him.

I had not idea why I was so nervous, but my hands were shaking. He came back shortly with a slice of cake and a drink.

“Here.” He said, placing them in front of me.

“Th... thanks.” I muttered.

I ate slowly, not daring to lift my head.

“How’s... Iseul?” He asked finally.

His sudden question startled me.

“Look at you.” He laughed.

He raised his hand towards me. My mind worked faster than my body did. I dodged his hand away.

“I.. I’m sorry.” I said hurriedly when he looked sad.

“I must have scared you the other time, didn’t I?” He asked as he wiped the corner of my mouth with his finger.

“Thanks.” I muttered.

“I’m sorry.” I said.

“No. I am sorry. I overreacted the other time. I let my anger take over me. I hurt you and almost hurt my daughter, and... might have killed my grandchild too. I...” He sighed.

“I understand that it was shocking to hear. I don’t blame you.” I said.

“But I should not have acted so violently too.” He said.

I smiled and shook my head.

“I hope I did not hurt you too badly.” He said, touching my back.

“It’s fine. I’m recovered already.” I said.

“That’s good to hear.” He said.

“Are you... still angry with Iseul?” I asked.

“Angry? More like worried.” He let out a small smile.

“She’s doing fine.” I said.

“That stubborn girl. I asked her to get out and she really did. Don’t she know how worried her mother and I am?” He said.

I smiled. He is still as soft hearted as ever.

“She misses you a lot.” I said.

“And I miss her too.” He said.

“Do you want to go see her?” I asked.

“Do you think she would want to see me?” He asked.

“Why not? You’re her most beloved appa!” I said.

“Thank you for taking care of her.” He said.

“Don’t mention it. It’s my duty.” I said.

“It’s not.” He said.

“Huh?” I looked at him, surprised.

He laughed and shook his head.

“You really think I bought that ‘It’s my baby. I got drunk and took advantage of her.’ statement?” He asked.

I looked down.

“My daughter is really blind, isn’t she?” He asked.

“What?” I asked.

“Everyone in the world can see but her.” He said.

I looked away in embarrassment. So he knew all along that I liked Iseul?

“Don’t be embarrassed, Doo ah~ Honestly, I am very thankful that stupid girl has a friend like you. But she’s so stupid. It’s been hard on you.” He said.

“It’s not.” I said.

“Of course, of course. You’re blindly in love with her too.” He chuckled.

“Ahhh~ Appa~” I covered my face.

“Don’t be shy! One day, she’ll see you.” He said.

“I just want her to be happy.” I said.

“But more than that, you wish you would be the one giving her happiness, don’t you?” He asked.

“Ahhhh~ Stop exposing me!!!” I buried my face into the table.

“Why are you so cute?” He laughed and hugged me.

Iseul’s POV

“Coming!” I yelled when the doorbell rang.

“Don’t you have the passcode!? How dare you make me walk, stupid Doodoo~” I said as I headed towards the door.

I was ready to scream at Doodoo for fun when I opened the door and saw that it was not him.

“I...” I mumbled in shock.

“My baby girl!” My mom threw herself onto me, hugging me tightly despite my protruding stomach.

“Umma... A.. Appa...” I stuttered.

“You have never been so obedient before! Why are you listening to me so well now? Just because I asked you to leave, you really left and not come back!?” My father scolded me.

I shook my head.

“It’s not like that, Appa!” I cried.

“Don’t cry, silly girl. Come here.” He said, inviting me into his arms.

We hugged and cried for awhile until I realized we were still standing outside.

“Come in!” I said, letting them in.

“What a nice and decent place you got here. Did Doo help you with it?” My mom asked.

“Are you implying that I am not capable of finding myself a decent place?” I pouted.

She laughed and nodded.

“Hey! How could you!” I pretended to be angry.

“Don’t tease our baby girl.” My dad said.

“Doo prepared it hahaha~” I admited.

“I knew it.” My mom said.

“Have you been okay?” My dad asked.

“Yea. Doo’s taking good care of me.” I said.

“You need to take care of him too. He looked so tired when I saw him.” He said.

“You met him? So, he gave you my address?” I asked.

“Don’t be angry with him. I asked for it.” My dad said.

“Why would I be angry!? I would have go looked for you and begged for forgiveness.” I said.

“Silly girl.” My mom said, touching my stomach.

“Omo! The baby is moving!” She exclaimed in surprise.

“Really!?” My dad asked excitedly. He reminded me of Doo.

I stood there, letting them have fun with the baby.

“Is Doo coming for dinner?” My mom asked as I watch her cook.

“No. He usually comes at midnight.” I said.

“Why?” She asked, surprised.

“Because baby wants to eat.” I hugged my stomach, sticking out my tongue.

“You cheeky girl~ Making use of him.” She pinched my cheeks.

“I am not! Just that... I just thought of him.” I said.

She looked at me. I knew instantly what she wanted to say.

“No! No! We’re best friends.” I said.

“What? I didn’t even mean that way! I just wanted to say it’s his responsibility, since the baby is his, no?” She said.

I was lost for words.

“Only someone who loves you so dearly will be willing to take up responsibility of something like that. It’s not adpoting a puppy or a bunny, darling. It’s a baby.” She said.

I looked down.

That night, my mom’s words kept replaying in my head. I know Doojoon’s actions surpass that of a friend, but I just cannot seem to see us as a couple. Or, can we?