Dead

Can you hear me?

Iseul’s POV

I met up with the other boys who were out looking for Doojoon. They all looked so worried and tired.

“I shouldn’t have fallen asleep. Why did I fall asleep?” Hyunseung muttered, burying his face into his palms.

“If he meant to leave, whether you stayed awake or not, it wouldn’t matter.” I said.

“It’s not your fault, Seung. It was my turn to watch over him, but I didn’t wake up.” Junhyung said.

“We were all supposed to take turns to look after him, but we fell asleep. It’s our fault.” Yoseob said.

“Sorry.” Kikwang mumbled, looking down.

“Guys, enough. Stop blaming yourselves. Doo is not a kid anymore. It wouldn’t matter whether you guys slept or not. Like I said, if he meant to leave, he would anyway. But this is not the time to think about it.” I said.

We have been searching for an hour around the area but still did not find him. He did not bring his phone or wallet with him, therefore it was impossible for him to have went far, but we cannot be too certain.

“Is there anywhere we have not covered yet?” I asked.

“The studio, restaurants and clubs around here, parks, the places we frequent, we’ve went to everywhere.” Junhyung said.

“Did you call his parents to see if he went home?” I asked.

“I don’t want to alarm his parents.” He said.

“That’s true.” I mumbled to myself.

Doo, where the hell are you hiding? Why are you doing this to us?

“Let’s go back.” I said.

“What!?” They yelled in unison, staring at me with wide eyes.

We’ve been to all the possible places, and he’s not there. Even if we search for another three hours, he wouldn’t be there. Let’s go back. I am sure he would return. Doojoon isn’t this kind of person. He would not just leave.” I said.

“But he could be in danger now. How can we just give up looking for him? And besides, Doojoon now is… not exactly Doo.” Junhyung said.

“Who says we’re giving up? But look at all of you. Do you still have the energy to go on? You look like you’re on the verge of passing out. And, Doo now or before is still Doo. His character deep down does not change.” I said.

“I’m just really worried.” He said.

“So am I, Jun. But walking aimlessly on the streets wouldn’t work. It would just tire all of you out.” I said.

He nodded.

“We’ll head back, okay?” I said, getting them into my car.

I sent them back to their dorm and urged them to get some rest, although I knew they would most likely be awake the whole night. I just hope they would doze off somehow.

“If he does not get back by morning, then we’ll think of another way, okay? For now, I’ll also try getting help from others. You guys try to get some rest.” I said before leaving.

“You too.” Yoseob said, offering me a weak smile.

I nodded and bid them goodbye. However, while I told them not to worry and get some rest, I could not do the same for myself. I drove along the streets, looking around to see if I would see him.

 As I drove, I cannot help but wonder what was going through his mind as he left. If I wanted to find Doojoon, I had to be Doojoon. I had no idea where I was driving too, but perhaps, like Doojoon, he had no idea where he wanted to go too. He just wanted to get out, and so I am doing the same.

The ringing of my phone startled me. I thought it was one of the boys telling me Doojoon had returned, but I was surprised to see a number from work. They are not going to ask me to go back to work now, are they?

“Hello?” I answered.

“Iseul, your friend is here. Didn’t you tell him you are off work already? He does not look too well.” The security said.

“My friend? Which friend?” I asked.

“The cheerful one who comes all the time.” He said.

“I’m on my way.” I said as I made a turn.

I guess I was not Doojoon enough. I never expected him to go to my workplace. And why would he?

***
When I arrived at my workplace, I saw Doojoon sitting at a corner, spacing out.

“Is he okay?” The security asked me.

I smiled slightly, still looking at Doojoon. He was dressed in simple clothes with no disguise at all.

“How did he come?” I asked.

“By cab.” The security said.

“He had the money?” I asked, surprised.

“No. I paid. He just walked out of the cab. Is he really okay? I don’t remember seeing him like this.” He said.

“He’s fine. He will be.” I said as I pulled out money to return to the security guard.

I headed towards Doojoon and squatted in front of him.

“Doo,” I called out.

He turned to look at me.

“Doo, why are you here? We’re all so worried when you went missing.” I said.

He said nothing.

“Doo, shall we go home? Hmm? It’s late. You need to sleep.” I tried to coax him.

When he did not respond, I tugged onto his arm.

“Doo, let’s go.” I said.

“But I am at home.” He said, surprising me. Doo is speaking?

“What?” I asked.

“I am home.” He said in a monotonous voice.

“Doo, this is not home. This is where I work.” I said.

“I am home.” He insisted.

“How are you home, Doo?” I asked.

“Isn’t this where dead people lie?” He asked.

“Yes, but so?” I asked.

“I am dead. So this is my home.” He said, pulling his hand away from mine and walked towards the lift.

I watched him from behind. It was only until now did I realize how serious this entire situation was. Doo is not simply traumatized or wounded mentally. Doo is dead, and while I have the skills to examine the corpse and expertly determine the exact cause of death, I did not possess the skills to revive the dead.