Breathe

Can you hear me?

Doojoon’s POV

“May I know which room is the patient named Iseul in?” I asked the nurse when I arrived at the hospital.

“Give me a moment please.” She smiled at me before going to check on the computer.

“Sure.” I muttered, looking around.

“She’s in the room straight up, on the left.” She said.

“Left?” I asked, pointing to confirm.

She nodded.

“Thanks.” I smiled.

Just as I was about to walk off, she called me back.

“Are you her husband or boyfriend?” She asked.

“Eh?” I responded, confused.

“A baby girl came in with her.” She said.

“You mean Eun? Eun is hospitalized too!? What happened to her!? Where is she!?” I asked worriedly.

“Calm down, calm down! The baby girl is okay. She’s asleep. One of our nurse is looking after her. I’ll bring you there.” She said, gesturing me to follow her.

I walked beside her, unconsciously pushing her gently so she would walk faster.

“Sorry. I’m just.. worried.” I apologized when she flashed me an annoyed look.

She was about to say something when a familiar cry filled the level. Eun.

I run towards the cry and was led into a room. I pushed the door open to find the nurse trying to hush Eun in her arms, but the girl kept on crying.

“Eun!” I called out, hurrying towards them.

When Eun saw me, she pouted and cried even louder, stretching out her arms at me. My heart ached at that.

“Awww~ My poor baby~” I took her into my arms, patting her back gently.

She cried into my chest and would not stop no matter how I try to hush her.

“I’ll take it from here. Thanks.” I said to the nurses.

They bowed slightly and left the room, leaving me with Eun.

“Shhhh~ What’s wrong, princess? Doodoo is here now. Shhh~” I hushed her, rocking her gently.

She stopped crying eventually. She looked at me with teary eyes, sniffing as she clutch tightly onto my shirt. I kissed her on her forehead and held her closer to my chest.

“You must have been scared. Sorry I wasn’t there.” I whispered into her ear.

“But I’m here now, so there’s nothing to be afraid of. I’ll protect you.” I continued to say.

She must have been tired from all the crying because she fell asleep really quickly.

I carried her down to where Iseul was. I gasped when I saw Iseul on the bed with bandages over her head and arms. What in the world happened to her?

I sat down next to her, still cradling the sleeping Eun in my arms. I looked at Iseul sleep. I smiled to myself when I realized Iseul and Eun had extremely similar sleeping looks.

While looking at them, many thoughts came into my mind. What exactly happened? Did she get robbed? Were they in a fight? Or did some ridiculous person came to find fault with her for no apparent reason?

I turned when I heard a knock on the door. I stood up when I saw the police officer walk in.

“You’re Yoon Doojoon?” He asked.

I nodded.

“Can we talk?” He asked.

I looked at Eun and Iseul, and then back at him. I guess a while of talking would not harm. I put Eun into the cot the nurse prepared for her before heading outside with the police.

“What exactly happened?” I asked him.

“Do you know this person called Jaehyun?” He asked me.

I froze at the sound of that name.

“Jae… hyun.” I muttered.

“Do you know him?” He asked.

I nodded.

“What did he do? Where is he? How is he related to this?” I asked.

“Apparently he was in a fight with the lady in there. She managed to call the police while fighting with him, I supposed, because when we arrived, she was on the floor, all beaten up, and he was about to escape.” He said.

“Did you arrest him? Or did he escape?” I asked.

“We arrested him.” He said.

“And he claimed that he was her husband, and the only reason why he beat her up was because she was cheating on him with you.” He continued.

I clenched my fists tight. That idiot.

“But before the lady inside passed out, she told us that there was another person we need to arrest. We have not had a chance to ask her yet, but I vaguely remember her saying something about a…” He looked at me.

“About a?” I asked.

“The words she used were very vulgar.” He muttered.

“Just say it, or rephrase it if you are uncomfortable.” I said.

“She said something about a bloody er who her best friend, and that we should torture the out of Jaehyun to get information as to where the son of a is because we need to arrest him and chop his rotten off.” He said, or rather mumbled.

I giggled at the words. It must have been really embarrassing for the police officer to have to hear Iseul say that.

“Yea, that’s what she said. Something like that.” He smiled awkwardly.

“I see.” I replied.

“So, do you know where we can find that best friend of hers so we could get more information on that guy?” He asked me.

I stared blankly at him. Was I going to tell him that the best friend Iseul was talking about is me? How is he going to think about me now?

“Doojoon sshi?” He called out, snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Huh?” I looked at him.

“Do you know anything? We tried to interrogate Jaehyun, but he kept smiling, saying nothing at all.” He said, looking slightly annoyed.

“Her best friend she is referring to…” I mumbled.

I bit my lower lip so hard I could taste blood.

“The best friend…” I said again.

“You don’t have to say it if you don’t wish to.” He said, looking concerned.

I in a deep breath and squeezed my eyes shut.

“The best friend she was referring to is me.” I said quietly.

I heard him gasp. The surroundings were quiet, so his gasp sounded amplified.

I opened my eyes to find him staring at me, looking pale.

“He me; that bloody er son of a .” I said.

He said nothing, except look at me with an extremely apologetic expression, like as if he felt that he should not have pressed me for an answer.

I should be feeling embarrassed and wanting to die, but instead, I felt like the weight that was pressing down against my chest for a long time was lifted off. It was like I could finally breathe again.