Do you?

Can you hear me?

Iseul’s POV

“What… what… why… you… I… we…” I started stammering.

“Why do the both of you look so surprised?” My umma asked, walking pass us as though she had not just seen Doojoon topless and coming out from my room.

“Oh! Hello! The both of you just woke up? Slept well?” My appa asked, pulling two luggage behind him as he made his way in.

I helped Doojoon up. He looked like he was still in a state of shock.

“You need to put on a shirt. You’ll catch a cold.” My umma said.

Doojoon covered himself with his arms, his cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

“What’s there to be embarrassed about? Not like we’ve never seen your body. But Doojoonie, I have to admit your body is… oh my~” My mom said, eyeing his body.

“Umma!” I hissed.

“What!? Good bodies are for the world to see! Just that, you’re a little too thin. You lost weight.” She said.

Doojoon’s entire face was red by now.

“Stop looking at his body. Gosh~ Look at mine! Why wouldn’t you even take a glance at mine!?” My appa asked jealously.

“What’s there to see? A lump of fat?” My umma asked, pinching his stomach.

“I’ll… I’ll… I’ll go change.” Doojoon stuttered.

“Go on, go on.” My umma waved him off.

I heard him winced when he tried to take a step.

“Are you okay? Did you sprain your ankle?” I asked.

He smiled and shook his head, but I knew he was in pain.

“I’m fine.” He said, limping upstairs. I made a mental note to put an ice pack on his ankle later on, but now, I had more important things to do.

I turned to my parents who were grinning at me.

“What? It’s not what you think! We did nothing! We just slept! In a very pure way!” I quickly defended myself.

“We know! Why are you so quick to defend yourself? What are you thinking?” My umma asked.

“Nothing! Nothing! Why are the both of you back so quick?” I asked bluntly.

“You don’t want us back?” She asked.

“No! No! Aish! I meant, why didn’t you tell me you were coming back early? We could have went to pick you both up.” I quickly corrected.

“We wanted to give you a surprise, but instead, I think you surprised us instead.” My appa said, winking at me.

“It’s not what you think!!!” I whined.

“What do you think we are thinking?” He asked.

“I… I don’t know!” I said.

“Shall I tell you?” He asked.

I said nothing.

“Are the both of you finally together?” He asked.

My eyes widened. Should I tell them?

“Doojoonie, Iseul doesn’t want to tell us. Maybe you want to tell us instead?” My umma asked.

I turned to find Doojoon carrying Eun in his arms, looking at me with wide eyes.

“Are the both of you together? Romantically?” My umma asked.

“Ahhh~ This…” He mumbled, looking away as he put Eun in the playpen.

After that, he turned to look at me, biting his lower lip.

“So?” My appa asked again.

“Sort… of.” I mumbled.

I stole a glance at Doojoon. He was smiling, but it looked kind of forced.

“What do you mean by sort of?” My umma asked.

“Aye~ Stop pressing. Sort of is better than a no.” My appa said, pulling my umma away, leaving Doojoon and I to stand there, looking at each other.

“Doo, I…” I wanted to explain why I said ‘sort of’ instead of a firm ‘yes’, but I realized I had no explanation for it at all.

“It’s okay. I understand.” He smiled.

“No, no. You don’t. I… It just came out of my mouth, but that doesn’t mean I feel any lesser for you than I have before. I’m sincere.” I said.

“I understand.” He smiled, kissing me on my forehead.

I grabbed his hand as he turned away.

“Yea?” He asked.

“Nothing. I just want to hold you like that.” I said.

He smiled and put his arm around me.

“Does your ankle hurt?” I asked.

He shook his head.

I caught my parents trying to take discreet glances at us. Doojoon must have saw it too because I saw him looking away shyly. How cute~

Doojoon’s POV

It has been two months since Iseul and I got together. We have not had any conflicts yet because recently I hardly see her at all. She is always busy at work.

I could understand, therefore as much as I could, I go to her instead of having her come to me, but our meetings lasted not more than half an hour and she had to go. But nevertheless, I spend most of my time at her place still for Eun as well as her parents.

I was rocking Eun to sleep in my arms when her umma came in.

“She’s asleep. Put her down. Let’s talk.” She said.

“Ouh. Okay.” I said, kissing Eun on her cheek before doing as I was told.

“It’s been hard on you, having to wait for that stupid girl like that.” Her umma said.

“It’s not.” I smiled.

“She’s taking you for granted.” She said.

“She’s busy at work. Not her fault, technically.” I said.

“Stop coming up with excuses for her. Before the both of you got together, you helped her come up with excuses, and now when you guys are already together, you are still doing it. If you’re feeling upset, you got to let her know.” She said.

I smiled and nodded.

“Either sleep here or go home. I doubt she’ll be home soon.” She said with a sigh.

“I’ll get going then.” I smiled.

“Doojoonie~” She called out.

“Yes?” I asked.

She took my hand into hers.

“Please know that whatever happens, we are here for you. Yes, she’s our daughter, but no excuses on ill-treating her boyfriend.” She said.

“She’s not ill-treating me!” I laughed.

“Not physically, but here, no?” She asked, pressing her palm against my chest.

“But isn’t this what love is all about? Understanding? Accepting?” I asked.

“I hate to say this, but Doojoonie, sometimes I really feel that my daughter do not deserve a man like you.” She said, smiling at me sadly.

“Please don’t say that.” I muttered.

***
“Hello?” I answered as I stretched my tired muscles.

“Yoon Doojoon?” The person over the phone called out.

“Yea? May I know who is this?” I asked.

“Do you remember me? I am the police officer from awhile ago.” He said.

“Oh.” I muttered as I got up and headed outside.

“Is it convenient to talk now?” He asked.

“Yes.” I said.

“I think we found the guy. But…” He said.

“But?” I asked.

“I would need you to come down to identify him.” He said.

I froze at his statement. Did he just say he want me to go face that person again?

“I…” I muttered.

“I know it’s tough. I understand. But… If you don’t identify him, there’s no way we can press charges against him.” He explained.

“When?” I asked.

“Is tomorrow okay?” He asked.

“Tomorrow?!” I asked in shock.

“The faster the better, Doojoon.” He said.

“Alright.” I said.

“I’ll see you then. There’s nothing to be afraid of. You’re not at fault.” He said.

“Okay.” I muttered before hanging up the phone.

I looked at my watch. It was about four hours until tomorrow comes.

I lied in bed that night, trying to get Iseul on the phone, but as usual, she was not answering.

“You still could not get her?” Yoseob asked as he sat down next to me.

I shook my head.

“Is she that busy?” He muttered, looking annoyed.

“Perhaps.” I said, burying my face into the pillow.

“Doo, we’ll be with you.” He said, squeezing my arm.

“I know.” I said.

“You’ll be okay. We wouldn’t let him harm you.” He said.

I nodded.

“Sleep.” He said, patting my back lightly.

I closed my eyes and all sorts of images appeared in my head. Iseul, where are you when I need you the most?

I woke up in the middle of the night. Everyone else in the dorm was asleep. I took a glance at my phone; still nothing from Iseul. I headed outside with my phone.

“One last time.” I mumbled to myself as I dialed her number.

I was about to end the call when she answered at the last ring.

“Hello?” She sounded sleepy.

“Iseul. You’re finally answering.” I said, forgetting all the unhappiness from before.

“Who’s this? Oh. Doo.” She said.

“Yea. Have you been busy?” I asked.

“Yea. Work’s killing me. Anyway, what’s up?” She said.

“I’ve been trying to call you all day.” I said.

“I’m sorry. Like I said, I was busy.” She said.

“I’ve something to tell you.” I said.

“Look, Doo, if it’s not very important, can we talk about it tomorrow? I’m ing sleepy right now.” She said.

“But Iseul, I…” She interrupted me before I could finish.

“Please, Doo. Please understand.” She said.

“Understand?” I asked.

“You ask me to understand you? Have I not been understanding enough?” I asked.

“What’s with you?” She asked.

“What’s with me? More like what’s with you?” I said.

“I’m busy with work. It’s not like I laze around all day. I understand your job, why can’t you understand mine?” She asked.

“And it’s not like I’m saying we should not talk. I’m just saying can’t we do it tomorrow? I’m tired and I really want to sleep. Could we please not argue over this small matter?” She added.

“Sleep well. Please sleep well.” I said before ending the call.

I buried my face into my palms as I cried openly. I am trying hard not to doubt Iseul’s love for me, but this is just too much for me to handle.

The next morning, the boys went to the police station with me. The police officer the other day greeted me warmly.

“You ready?” He asked.

I nodded.

“You look sick. Are you alright? Nervous?” He asked.

“I’m fine.” I said.

I was too tired to think. I just want to get it over and done with.

“Do we have to do it now? Can’t we wait a little longer?” Junhyung asked suddenly.

“Is something wrong?” The police officer asked.

“No. But…” He bit his lower lip, looking at the other boys.

“Let’s do it now.” I said to the officer.

“Doo~” He grabbed my arm.

“I want to get it done quick, Jun. I want to get out of here.” I said.

He sighed and nodded.

“We’ll be here waiting for you. You’ll be okay.” Junhyung said.

“Do you want a friend to go in with you?” The officer asked.

“I’ll do it.” Junhyung offered.

“No. I’m fine on my own.” I said.

“Are you sure, hyung?” Kikwang asked.

“Yes.” I said, clenching my fists tight.

I was led into a dark room with a huge glass panel. Behind the glass panel, I saw five guys standing.

“It’s tinted. They can’t see or harm you. Nothing to be afraid of. Just take your time.” The officer said, squeezing my arm.

I nodded, and then glance tiredly at the men. My eyes caught sight of a familiar figure. It was him.

“That…” I was about to complete my sentence when he looked straight into my eyes and smirked at me. I felt my body went cold.

“Are you okay?” The officer asked, holding me up.

“You… you said it’s tinted. Are… are you… sure?” I asked.

He was still staring at me and smirking. Images of that night flooded my head.

“It is. I’m very sure.” He said.

“It’s not. It’s not.” I insisted. I felt like someone was choking me. I could not breathe.

“It is. Doojoon, look at me. Calm down. You’re hyperventilating. You got to calm down.” He said, cupping my cheeks, forcing me to look at him.

“Which one? Just tell me which one and we’re done here.” He said.

“Get me out. Get me out. Please.” I pleaded him.

Even without looking at the glass panel, I could still feel the guy’s eyes on me.

“Doojoon! Be strong!” He urged.

I bit the inside of my cheeks so hard I could taste blood.

“Do this for yourself, Doojoon. You’re strong. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.” He said.

I dug my nails into my palms before turning to the glass panel again. He was still smirking at me.

“I… I can’t!” I cried out.

“You can! Doojoon! You can!” He shook me.

It took me awhile to collect myself again. The officer was being very patient with me.

“That one. Number three.” I pointed finally, but I could not look at him.

“Okay. I got it. Good job.” He said, literally dragging me out of the room.

The moment I was out, my knees weakened and I collapsed to the floor.

I heard the boys shout and run towards me.

“Are you okay? Huh?” Hyunseung asked as they pulled me up.

“I’m fine. Just… tired.” I said, resting against Kikwang’s shoulder.

“Here. Drink this.” The officer said, handing me a cup of something, but my hand was shaking too much to hold.

Kikwang took the cup and held it for me as I drank.

“Is this all?” I heard Junhyung asked.

“For now.” The officer said.

“What do you mean?” Junhyung asked.

I heard them discuss about something, but I could not seem to absorb anything.

“You did well, Doo.” Yoseob smiled at me. I smiled back weakly.

“Hyung, we’ll go eat samgyupsal tonight!” Dongwoon suggested.

I nodded, but in fact I just wanted to sleep.

“Thank you, Doojoon. You’ve been brave.” The officer said to me.

“Thank you.” I smiled.

We were preparing to leave when I heard someone running behind and a familiar voice call out my name.

“Doojoon!” I turned to find Iseul running over.

I should be happy to see her, but I would not lie. Iseul is the person I least wanted to see now.

“I’m sorry! Is it over? Huh? Are you alright? Why do you look so pale?” She asked, cupping my cheeks.

I pushed her hands away.

I saw her exchange glances with the boys. Junhyung was glaring angrily at her.

“Let’s let them talk, shall we?” Hyunseung said, pulling the boys away.

“Darling, I’m so sorry.” Iseul said when we were alone.

“Really?” I asked.

“I… Was this what you wanted to tell me yesterday night? I’m so sorry. I am an idiot. Junhyung texted me this morning, but I was in a middle of a meeting. I was planning to come right after the meeting but the meeting dragged on. I rushed here right after that.” She explained.

I looked at her. Indeed, she was still dressed in her lab coat.

“Well, go back to work then.” I said.

“Doo, I’m so sorry. I should have been here with you.” She said.

“The keyword is should.” I said.

“Please don’t do this to me.” She pleaded.

“Are you pleading me? Wah~ Iseul~ You know, you really have this amazing ability to twist situations around. Why is it that I feel like I am at fault now?” I asked.

“I know I’m at fault, but it’s not like I mean for it to happen!” She said.

“Of course not.” I smiled.

“Please stop acting like that.” She said.

“Pleading me again.” I scoffed.

“Alright, alright. I’m sorry. I’m really sorry.” She said, hugging me.

I pushed her away. She stared at me with widened eyes.

“Do you really love me?” I asked.

“What do you mean?” She asked.

“If someone were to ask you now if we’re together, would you be able to tell them a firm ‘yes’, or is it still ‘sort of’?” I asked.

“Do you love me, Iseul?” I asked again.

She looked at me blankly, but her blank expression told it all. 

-끌-

***

I ended the story leaving it hanging like that so that you can craft your own ending to the story! Just because I am the writer does not make my ending the most suitable one. Yours might make more sense than mine, who knows. But nevertheless, I will post my version of the ending too. You can read it, or you can skip it. It's up to you! ^^