Appreciate

Can you hear me?

Iseul’s POV

Eun is now three months old and I have returned to work. After being with her 24/7 for three months, now that I have to part with her in the day made me feel really empty for some reason. If time allows, I would head to my parents place during lunchtime just to see her. I send her there before work every morning and Doojoon would pick her up at night.

I was preparing dinner when I heard the front door open, indicating their arrival.

“We’re home!” Doojoon announced.

“Hi~” I popped my head out of the kitchen to greet them.

Eun was strapped to Doojoon’s chest. He turned her to face me and waved her hand at me.

“Hi, Umma~” He imitated.

I laughed at Eun’s expressionless face.

“Put her down and go shower. Dinner’s almost ready.” I said.

“I have to go back after dinner.” He said.

“Eh? What?” I asked, surprised.

“I have to go back after dinner.” He repeated.

“Then… you just came back to pick her up?” I asked.

He nodded.

“You could have told me. I could pick her up, then you wouldn’t have to make two trips.” I said.

“It’s fine. Eun wants to see me.” He said proudly, making faces at the baby girl.

“More like you want to see her~” I said.

“It’s a mutual feeling; both of us. You wouldn’t understand. Right, Eun?” He asked.

Eun banged her head against his chest.

“Aigooo~ Silly girl. That’s a nice chest bump, sweetheart, but don’t do that. Don’t your head hurt?” He asked, rubbing her forehead lightly.

I continued to cook while they play on the couch. We left Eun to roll around in her playpen while we have dinner.

“How have you been feeling lately?” I asked.

“What?” He asked, looking confused.

“Do you still get headaches and all?” I asked.

“Not very often.” He said.

“Why don’t you sleep with me in the room instead? The bed is big enough for the both of us.” I said.

“You know how I can fall asleep faster on couches, right?” He said.

“You can pretend the bed is a couch.” I said.

He laughed and shook his head.

“What so funny?” I asked.

“You’re funny. Don’t worry too much, alright?” He said.

“Fine, fine. Do whatever you want.” I mumbled.

He pinched my cheeks and continued to eat. After dinner, he played with Eun for a while before having to head back to work.

“Can I bring her along?” He pouted, hugging Eun tightly against his chest.

“Bring her.” I laughed.

“I wish I could. Eun ah~~~” He whined.

“She’s not going anywhere. When you come back later, she’ll still be here.” I said.

He reluctantly handed Eun to me.

“Bye, princess.” He pouted.

I carried Eun close enough to him to ‘kiss’ him on his cheek.

“She me.” He said.

Eun smiled at him and I could tell he had melted.

His phone rang and he answered it quickly.

“SHE SMILED AT ME!!!!!!!!” He announced excitedly to whoever was on the line.

“Eun ah, what did you do to Doo?” I asked the girl.

She snuggled her face against my neck and fell asleep. How can you sleep so peacefully after making Doo lose his mind with your smile?!

Doojoon’s POV

The headaches and dizzy spells were not as bad as before, but the occasional ringing and pain in my ear was still there, just not as intense as before. Every night, I go to sleep worried that I might not be able to hear Eun’s crying, and when I did, I felt so thankful.

Although my condition seemed to be improving, I did not want to hold much hope. The fact that I could lose my hearing any time made me appreciate everything around me even more. In the past, when the boys get excited and start speaking at the top of their voice, I would ask them to lower their volume, but these days, I found myself smiling when I hear them.

When we go on stage, I used to put on ear pieces so as to block out the fans’ screaming to concentrate better on singing, but these days I take those ear pieces off and listen to the fans’ scream their lungs out despite the fact I knew I would be somewhat distracted by it.

I get back home after a tired day, Iseul is tired too but she always has the energy to talk. She would blabber about her day and go on until I fall asleep. At times, I had the urge to ask her to stop talking, or I would pretend to sleep so she would stop talking, but now I just want her to continue talking and talking. I would prompt her with more questions and keep asking her ‘why’ until she got frustrated. But Iseul ah, I just want to hear your voice.

And Eun, she has started making small sounds. The first time I heard it, I cried. I never thought I would be able to hear any other sound from her apart from her cries. I know it sounds silly to be crying over something so small, but I am so thankful.

I used to want to be left alone so I could enjoy some peace and quiet, but now I just want to be around people. I want to hear them chattering and laughing, it makes me happy even if I am not involved. I always thought birds chirp for the sake of chirping, but I realize if I put my heart to it, it actually sounds like a song and it is very calming.

All the sounds that I deemed irritating in the past such as people shouting at each other, honking their horns endlessly and so on, they all seem so acceptable now. Perhaps it was never annoying, I was just the problem. I never knew how to appreciate the beauty of it.

There is beauty in everything, just not everyone sees it.

The fact your mother is nagging at you means she is still alive and has the energy to, should we not be thankful for that? The baby is crying really loudly. Is that not an obvious indication that she is full of energy? The group of people at the table next to you are laughing and talking so loudly as though they are at home, but doesn’t that mean that this world is not that bad after all because there is still something for people to be laughing about? The music playing on the radio does not suit your taste, but just because it is not something you like, does that mean the musician created crap?

We never seem to appreciate anything until we are on the verge of losing it. Why are we all like that?

I smiled when I saw Iseul’s name flash on my phone. How I love her voice~

“What’s up? I’m on my way to pick up princess. Shall we eat out today?” I asked as I drove.

“Doo…” She called out.

“Hmm?” I responded, noticing the lack of usual excitement in her voice.

“Come home, Doo. I have something to tell you.” She said.

“But.. Eun?” I asked.

“Just come home first.” She said.

“O... okay.” I said, knowing I was unable to defy her.

“Don’t speed.” She said quietly before ending the call.

But how could I not speed after hearing her talk like that? 

***
tumblrmhxzksw9zt1qa8vcq.gifWhen Eun smiled at him