Calling you

Can you hear me?

Doojoon’s POV

I buried my face into the magazine I was clutching tightly in my hands, trying to remain as calm as possible. I was pretty sure my disguise was good enough, or maybe, too good that it became obvious.

“Is it him?” I heard the two girls sitting a few seats away from me discuss.

“I don’t think so. They don’t have any overseas concerts or promotions, do they? If it’s him, why is he here in the airport?” I heard one say.

“But it looks very much like him…” Another said, trying to peep through my sunglasses.

“DARLING!!!! OMO!! SEUNG JOON AH!!! I MISS YOU!!!” A familiar voice shouted from across, and then a weight crash against me, almost causing the entire bench to fall backwards.

“OMO!!! You’re still as handsome! Ahh~ Seung Joon ah! Do you miss me!?” She asked, squeezing my cheeks.

“Ahh~ Yea..” I nodded as I tried to recollect myself.

“Oppa, are those two girls your friends?” She asked.

I shook my head and shrugged my shoulders.

“Then why are they staring at you?” She asked, giving the two girls dirty looks.

The two girls looked away, pretending to be discussing about everything else but my face.

“Let’s go, oppa. Before people swallow you whole.” She said, grabbing my hand and dragging me away.

I let her drag me along, until I realized she had no idea where she was going.

“Iseul ah, the car is in the car park, and the car park is the other side.” I said.

“Oh.” She chuckled to herself, and then dragged me the other way.

“It’s fine already. Thank you for just now.” I said, taking her luggage for her.

“Hur~ You owe me one.” She said, smacking my chest.

“How did you know it was me? Aie~ You spoil my surprise for you. Tsk~” I said.

“Oh, you surprised me good. I was about to head out when I saw this mummy-like figure sitting there with two vultures-like girls staring at him waiting to grab any chance to pounce onto him.” She said.

I laughed at her description.

“Is it that bad?” I asked.

“Scarf covering half the face, sunglasses, jacket zipped up. Yoon Doojoon, you might as well just wear a tag that says ‘I am a celebrity’.” She said, pulling the scarf to cover my whole face, turning my world into darkness for a split second.

“Omo! Iseul ah!” I yelped.

She burst into laughter, smacking my arm as if it was nothing.

“What so funny?” I asked, but laughing as well.

“Should I be honored that while other people scream out for their moms in times of danger or fear, our Doojoonie screams out for me?” She asked, poking my cheek.

It has been a habit of mine to scream out for her instead of my mom every time I get a shock or feel any sense of danger or fear. It is not like I deliberately did that, it just came out so naturally I did not even realize I was yelling for her until she stared at me quizzically. Perhaps it is the security she gives me. Every time I am with her, I feel like it would not matter even if the sky falls. Iseul is my comfort zone.

I shrugged my shoulders and smiled.

“I miss you, idiot.” I put my arm around her shoulders, pulling her closer to me.

She punched my stomach and laughed.

“You didn’t tell me you were coming.” She said as we got into the car.

“It was meant to be a surprise.” I said, rolling my eyes, fed up at the fact my surprise got ruined.

“Aww~ It doesn’t matter who gives the surprise. A surprise is still a surprise, and it can only be accomplish when two person or more is involved, no? You can’t have a surprise on your own. What? Plan it and surprise yourself? Is there such things? No~ It’s pretty successful. You surprised me and I surprised you. It’s a surprise!” She explained happily.

“Aigoo~ You~” I pinched her cheeks.

“Ahh~ Feels so nice to be back.” She said, looking out of the window like a little puppy.

“Feels good to have you back too.” I said.

“It’s not been that long since I left.” She said.

“How is three years not long, Iseul ah? Which part of your brain is not working hmm?” I asked, knocking her head lightly with my knuckles.

“It doesn’t feel long! Perhaps because we have communication everyday.” I said.

“Are you finally back for good?” I asked.

She turned to look at me.

“I don’t know. Should I?” She asked.

“Do you want a practical answer, or an emotional one?” I asked.

She raised her brow at me.

“Both.” She said.

“Practically, we have universities here too so you can complete your studies here, but I am sure you are more used to the western style of studying, however, we have schools that offer overseas courses too, you can do it here. Emotionally, no, don’t ever go back. You’ve dumped me here for three years and just flew to the states. I miss you like crazy and I am not even going to deny. We communicate every day but how is it the same from being able to talk face to face like that?” I said.

She let out a smile and lean in to kiss me on my cheek.

“You know, Doodoo, I have made many wrong decisions in my life, but deciding to befriend the ugly nerd you were back in high school is perhaps the only best and right decision ever.” She said.

Iseul’s POV

“Well, it goes without a saying.” He said, grinning like a fool.

“What? That you are an ugly nerd?” I .

“NO! Oh my god! Ahh my blood pressure~” He held the back of his neck.

“Concentrate on driving!!” I laughed, smacking his thighs.

“But seriously, Iseul, you didn’t make that many wrong decisions. The only gravely wrong ones were the boyfriends you chose.” He said.

“Last warning.” I said.

He grumbled something under his breath, but kept quiet after that. ‘Last warning’ was out form of telling each other not to continue speaking because we did not want to talk about it at this point of time.

“Sorry.” He muttered.

“Where are we heading?” I changed the topic to lighten the mood.

I did not want to spoil the atmosphere the moment I meet my best friend again after three years.

“Dorm.” He said.

“DORM!? Why?” My eyes widened.

“The boys warned that if they did not see you today, I’ll have to sleep outside.” He said with a slight pout.

“Then sleep outside.” I said.

“Ahhh~ My heart~” He rubbed his chest.

I laughed and smacked his stomach.

“They miss you too.” He said.

“And we can watch Iris tonight.” He grinned.

“Iris? Isn’t it like long over?” I asked.

“That’s why I say you got to come back for good. You’re so outdated.” He said with a frown.

“What about Iris?” I asked.

“There’s a second part.” He said.

“And so? TOP is not in it. I don’t care.” I said.

His expression fell. I cheered silently to myself.

“Do you really not know or are you teasing me?” He asked.

“What?” I asked, trying to remain as straight as possible.

“I am in Iris 2.” He said, looking at me sadly.

“I thought I told you. Didn’t I?” He asked.

I could not hold back my laughter any longer. His puppy face was too much for me to take.

“Omo~ Don’t cry! I remember!!! Of course I do!” I pinched his cheek.

“Tsk! Don’t do this!” He said grumpily.

“Why did you think I chose an odd day like Wednesday to come back?” I asked.

“The tickets are cheaper?” He asked.

“TO WATCH IRIS WITH YOU!!” I smacked him on the head.

“Ah! Don’t lie!” He rubbed his head, but I saw a small smile creep up on his face.

“I’m serious!” I said.

“Ahh~” He looked away, biting his finger, suppressing his giggle.

“Really?” He asked, turning back to me.

“No. Wednesday tickets are really cheaper.” I said.

He burst into laughter and then cursed me.

***
“Where are they?” I asked as we entered an empty house.

“They should be back soon. Make yourself at home. How do you like our new dorm?” He asked.

“The previous one felt cozier.” I said.

“I know right.” He said as he showed me to his room.

“Which is your bed?” I asked.

He pointed to the one at the corner.

I threw myself onto his bed, snuggling under his duvet. He let out a smile, and then threw a soft toy at me.

“You look like a little puppy messing up the bed.” He said.

I shrugged my shoulders and continued to snuggle into his bed.

“It’s been a tiring flight. You can take a nap.” He said.

I closed my eyes. I knew he was still in the room because I heard him around.

“Doodoo~ I miss you.” I said, my eyes still closed.

“Doo?” I called out again.

I opened my eyes. He was leaning against the wall, his left side facing where I was, poking on his phone.

“Doo.” I called out.

“Doo.” I repeated.

I stared at him, tears watering my eyes unconsciously. He turned towards my direction, eyes widened when he realized I was staring at him.

“Is something wrong?” He asked.

“I called you.” I said.

“What?” He asked, turning his right ear towards me.

“I said, I called out for you.” I repeated.

“Oh. I’m sorry. I took it out.” He said, pointing to the hearing aid on the table.

“What is it?” He asked.

“Nothing. Just calling you for fun.” I forced a smile despite my aching heart.

He winked at me before going back to poke on his phone.

Doojoon ah, how am I ever going to be guilt-free if you do not regain your hearing again? 

***
tumblrmi8ey4c1ph1qd9cpd.gifDoojoon: I am in Iris 2.