Year 17 December

18 years of loving you, and the one year it mattered.

Year 17- December 

 
The snow falls, it's winter, Suho used to hate the winter, the frost, freezing hands and suffocating clothing, the absence of anything alive and fresh, the sweet scent of flowers replaced by a thick, smell, almost like there is lingering carbon from combustion in the atmosphere. Winter was desolate in Suho's mind until recently. It isn't until one remembers steaming hot cocoa piled with whipped cream, marshmallows and lashings of chocolate, or the taste of warm soup when one returns home from a tough and particularly freezing day at work. Winter slows everything down, at first Suho didn't like that, he didn't like the increased morning traffic slowing his day down but Winter was also fast, quick and contradictory, it was in Winter where the days were shorter but felt longer. But being snuggled tight, wrapped in a fluffy blanket reading as the snow falls, or skiing in the crisp winter sun and the feeling of exhaustion afterwards along with the ache that everybody secretly liked, or the meals they shared afterwards from the days where they all headed out to brave the biting cold night air, dancing along the pavement, shouting at the top of their lungs to the days they would stay inside and cook themselves, bowls piled high with pasta crammed into the living room watching Disney movies or occasionally even a romcom.
 
It's snowing now. As Suho cusses under his breath, the icy snowflakes falling in his eyes; he runs quickly across the road into his apartment building where it's warm. Trudging to the elevator the briefcase felt heavy in his hands, he was glad to be home but he couldn't help but feel a bit lonely with no one waiting for him. 
 
Or maybe there was. 
 
"Welcome home!" Yixing smiled brightly dishing up some rice. 
 
"Yixing?" Suho laughed smiling "Why aren't you home?" 
 
"Ah I just had a row with Victoria, thought I'd give her time to calm down" His voice was cheerful but  Yixing looked away, as if trying to hide his face, Suho took the hint and gently grabbed Yixing's chin to turn his face towards him. The angry mark under his eye was enough to make Suho's heart break just a little with thoughts of 'I would never do that to you' lingering in the back of his mind, of course he didn't voice those thoughts he just caressed the scratch and Yixing broke down and Suho had never seen this happen before not in seventeen years has Yixing cried in front of him, well, there was a first for everything.
 
Suho just shushed him and rubbed his shoulders gently, this side of Yixing was just as broken as Suho himself, bitterly reminded of himself as Yixing cried into his arms and Suho wondered if this is what masochistic really meant. 
 
"I don't think she did it on purpose" Yixing said later after the were snuggled in the couch, blanket draped over them. It was dark but you could still see the snow falling in the dark yellow light the streetlights cast. 
 
"Yixing, what's wrong? I just I'm disappointed in her, she promised me..." Suho trailed off with the weight of what he just said his gaze shifting outside 
 
"She promised you what?" Yixing asked curious shifting closer and wrapping his arms round Suho's waist, Suho yelped. "Sorry" he murmured softly "I get cold so easily" 
 
"It's okay" Suho managed to squeak and then he confirmed this is exactly what masochistic meant "And I just made her promise to look after you, and what did she do? She hurt you" Suho sighed absentmindedly carding Yixing's hair through his fingers, but he didn't notice Yixing leaning into his touch. 
 
"Suho I think, I should go away for a while, away from Victoria and Luna" 
 
"But Christmas is coming up" Suho frowned 
 
"I know, I love Luna but I just need sometime to think" 
 
"Yeah but where would you go?" Suho asked more to himself than to anyone else. 
 
"I think you mean where would we go" Yixing mumbled into his shirt 
 
"We?" Suho echoed 
 
"Well I thought about it earlier and called Jongdae he said he was taking the family to Youngpyong he was going to invite us" 
 
"Really?" Suho asked surprised "By us, he means everyone right?" 
 
"Yeah, he said he's going to be exhausted but Youngdae really wanted Dara to go, or was it Mei? Or maybe it was Luna, but she's with Victoria so I don't really know" 
 
"Well, lets talk about it tomorrow" Suho sighed "it's late" 
 
"Stay here" Yixing grabbed Suho's shirt "You're really warm" 
 
"Okay" Suho said resigned snuggling back into the blankets trying to convince himself that he could live without this. 
 
Everyone knows he can't. 
 
---- 
 
Chen sped towards Baekhyun's house with Xiumin screaming in the back seat. 
 
"Kim Jongdae! You're going to kill someone! Or even worse you're going to kill us!" 
 
"Min, I have to tell Baekhyun, what are we supposed to do?" 
 
"We should just leave it till after we get back from Youngpyong" 
 
Jongdae slowed the car and parked it on the side of the freeway before he started crying. 
 
"I can't deal with this bull!" 
 
Minseok couldn't do or say anything to stop Jongdae, nor change his decision, not on anything, Jongdae was a stubborn boy, on the outside he looked invincible, an ego the size of Jupiter and the cockiest attitude one has ever witnessed. But Minseok knew better, behind all the mocking words and harsh comments Jongdae was insecure, and sweet like you wouldn't believe he was caring and fiercely loyal which was why Victoria's infidelity had angered him so much, it was a abusive, biting anger that had him snapping and if you knew Jongdae, you knew he had both the bite and the bark- Minseok had neither, this anger ran deep too because even Kim Jongdae tried to see Victoria for something more than she was, and all she did was prove him right. This anger runs deep, and somewhere along the line it turns into hurt, betrayal and a deep sorrow for his friend but the worse thing was that everyone knew that there was a man who loved Yixing whole heartedly, a man who gave Yixing up, and for what? Absolutely nothing. 
 
That's why Minseok gently leans over to take the car keys to turn the ignition of and climb into the back seat motioning for Jongdae to follow him. 
 
Minseok wraps his arms around Jongdae's waist gingerly, his hair while they absentmindedly listened to the weather forecast on the radio. 
 
"I think we should change our plans" Minseok murmured pressing his nose against Jongdae's so he was whispering inches from his lips 
 
"What do you mean?" Jongdae asked as Minseok gently brushed the stray tears from his eyes 
 
"I think we should go away for one week instead of two, but no kids" 
 
"Who will look after them?" Jongdae sighed shaking his head slightly 
 
"We send them to Kyuhyun of course, I'm sure they'll love to see their cousins" Minseok smiled at Jongdae who was stressing out 
 
"Youngdae really wanted to see Luna" Chen pointed out "Or was it Dara? I get confused" 
 
"Luna can't go anyway" Minseok looked down "Look we need this, we need peace, just a chance to be us" Minseok looked Jongdae in the eye "please" 
 
Almost ten years of hard work had gone into raising their children and they hadn't even hit thirty. And with Minseok looking at Jongdae like that, how could he refuse. 
 
"Okay" he breathed "Okay, but first lets just stay here a while before I have to see my client" 
 
They could stay here for a while, that would be fine, just fine. 
 
With the afternoon sun seeping into the car, warming them both and the whispering of sweet nothing's, Jongdae began to feel like maybe, just maybe he could deal with all that bull. As long as he had Minseok. 
 
---- 
 
"Chanyeol, did you just see that?" Baekhyun snarled "I was right all along" 
 
"Byun Baek, calm down!" Chanyeol ran after his fuming boyfriend 
 
"I wonder how long, how am I supposed to face Yixing knowing his wife is cheating on him! It's a miracle I can face him knowing that my best friend is completely head over heels in love with him! I don't know whether to punch him in the face or cradle him, I can't ing do this, I need to tell Jongdae!" 
 
"Baekhyun I think-" 
 
"No, we are not being nice to her! We aren't giving her sympathy we- mmpppffff" Baekhyun was cut off when Chanyeol kissed him, teeth clashing and cold hands intertwining. When Baekhyun finally pulled away he shoved Chanyeol slightly. 
 
"Yah! I'm distracted now" 
 
"That's the point, look these are people lives here, it's not our place to judge because haven't you ever considered that watching your husband subconsciously love another man more than he loved you would be enough to destroy you?" 
 
"I know what heartbreak feels like Chanyeol" 
 
Chanyeol agrees and he feels his heart crack just a tad, he knows he doesn't deserve Baekhyun. 
 
"Chanyeol, I'm not going to lie, you destroyed me" Baekhyun says slowly leading them to a small park bench- one of the few that weren't covered in a blanket of white "I seriously thought about ending it when you came back, because I deserved better than that, I knew it, but then I thought what do I know about love? What did I know about deserving someone? Especially when you were trying so hard to make up for it, and all I felt was that when you here everything was better and I knew, I must love you one heck of a lot to stay after all that, but I know that you were broken too, we both were and I think you knew that, so you did what all scared people do" 
 
"You know I never stopped thinking about you" Chanyeol whispered softly pulling Baekhyun up onto his lap
 
"I know" Baekhyun kissed him chastely "But I'm still calling Jongdae" 
 
"I know" 
 
----
 
"Jongdae!" Baekhyun barked into the phone waking making Minseok and Jongdae groan as the harsh voice hurt both their ears. 
 
"What do you want?" Jongdae barked back scrambling to sit up in the cramped backseat of the car. 
 
"It's Victoria" 
 
Minseok's mouth dropped open
 
"How did you know?" Jongdae asked cautiously into the phone
 
"Wait you know already?" 
 
"Are we talking about the same thing?" Baekhyun asked confused 
 
"I think so, but how did you find out?" 
 
"Saw them in Gangnam" Baekhyun sighed "I'm so angry with her" 
 
"Aren't we all" Jongdae rolled his eyes "hey Baek are your parents busy next week?"
 
Baekhyun gaped "We are discussing that cheating on one of our best friends and you want to know what my parents are doing?" 
 
"Yep, look I just woke up, I haven't got the bite to my bark yet, so answer me" 
 
"Fine no, they aren't why what're you gonna do" 
 
"More like what are you gonna do" 
 
"Okay just cut to the chase" 
 
"Give Dara to them for a week, well we go to Youngpyong" 
 
"What? That's a massive change of plan" 
 
"Yeah we thought we could just go for a week without the kids and still be in time for Christmas" 
 
"That's the best idea you've had in ages" 
 
"Yeah well spread the word" 
 
----
 
"I'll miss you sweetie" Sehun hugged his daughter hard "be good for your grandmother okay?" 
 
"She will" Sehun's mother smiled sweetly "Luhan darling stop worrying will you? Aish you've always been like this" 
 
"Sorry Umma, just take care of her! Make sure she gets her vitamin D! And fresh air and that she sleeps well and don't forget to-" 
 
"Always dry her hair before bed? Yes Luhan got it" Sehun's mother laughed "Shoo get out of my sight, go have fun!" 
 
Once in the car, speeding towards the snowy mountains Luhan gripped Sehun's hand that wasn't on the steering wheel tightly 
 
"Luhan stop worrying okay?" Sehun said soothingly brushing his thumb over Luhan's while Luhan stared at their wedding bands. 
 
"Don't ever leave me" 
 
"Luhan I'm not" 
 
"You can't, if you do I will hunt you down and lock you in my closet- our closet and keep you there forever" 
 
"Luhan just calm down, I love you and I'm never going to leave you, I know why your being like this you know"
 
"Who told you?" 
 
"Baekhyun, who told you?" 
 
"Kris did" 
 
"Terrible isn't it" Sehun said bitterly 
 
"He doesn't know yet" 
 
"He will by the end of this trip, there is only so long I can pretend nothing is going on" 
 
"Sehun, I don't know if anyone has ever told you but you are one of the most beautiful souls I have ever met on this planet" 
 
"You've told me, and I disagree, you Luhan are the most beautiful soul in this universe and every other universe there ever was" 
 
----
 
It was the last day of their trip when Baekhyun decided that no, he couldn't take it and he would tell Yixing, tagging Jongdae with him.
 
They were outside, on the balcony the snow making it freezing cold and all Yixing wanted to do was go inside. 
 
"Yixing" Baekhyun began shaking a little "I know you think we hate Victoria and you probably won't believe us but-"
 
"It's okay, I know"Yixing smiled sadly "I knew a while ago" 
 
"Wait how long exactly has this been going on?" Jongdae asked 
 
"I don't know- it's been going on for years, but I only found out last week" 
 
"I'm so sorry hyung" Baekhyun started crying "that's so horrible" 
 
Jongdae stayed silent but tackled the other two to the ground and the lay in the snow looking at the sky, it was overcast from the clouds.
 
The sky wasn't shining tonight.
 
"I'm filing for divorce as soon as we get home" Yixing smiled "it's not as bad as I thought it would be" 
 
"Why's that?" Baekhyun breathed 
 
"Because, I think there's better things there for me, I think I just wasted ten years of my life"