Christmas ^^

18 years of loving you, and the one year it mattered.

Christmas wasn’t a very traditional Korean holiday when Kris thought about it, but that didn’t really stop him from dragging a massive pine tree into the apartment.

“Kris…” Tao looked up from his magazine curiously eyeing the tree

“Yeah?” Kris huffed as he brought the tree round and began to set it up in the far corner of the living room.

“What’s with the tree?”

“You realise it’s Christmas tomorrow… Right?”

“WHAT? HOW COME NO ONE TOLD ME!”

“Well… 25th of December it’s pretty hard to forget… Even Sehun remembered, and with all the posters and stuff around town it’s almost impossible-“

“OH MY GOD HOW COULD I FORGET! I NEED TO BUY PRESENTS!” Tao hurried to grab his wallet and coat

“Tao, it’s seven at night I doubt the shops will be open…”

“IT’S FRIDAY, SURELY THE MALL HAS TO BE OPEN”

“Okay… I guess it’s late night”

“KRIS COME WITH MEEEEE”

“Why?”

“PLEAAASEEEE?”

“Why?”

“I need your help!”

“Tao, I at shopping…”

“We can get dinner at the food court?”

“I’ll go get my coat”

Kris drove himself and Tao to the mall; it was packed with last minute shoppers like Tao he absentmindedly nodded as Tao was talking about what he should buy everyone.

“I should get Lay Ge some headphones, what’s his favourite colour?”

“Umm… Purple?”

“Okay! Purple headphones for Lay, Cookie cutters for Kyungsoo… That’s it so far…”

“You could get the Hunhan couple an ice cream maker?”

“YES! And I’ll also get them something else to even it out for two people, hmmm what do both of them like…”

“Bubble tea?”

“Ge! I can’t get them bubble tea!”

“I don’t know! I told you I at shopping!”

“Okay… Maybe I’ll get them couple necklaces then? I should get Xiumin and Chen those too! How cute!”

“Absolutely charming”

“Kris, can you leave me for a minute?”

Kris felt a flash of hurt cross his face before he went back to having his expressionless on his face.

“Sure, why?”

“It’s a good thing I promise Ge, now just go off and stuff; I’ll meet you for dinner soon?”

“Eight thirty at the food court”

“Done, see you then! Don’t get lost!” Tao winked before he vanished off into the hordes of people

He wandered over to the music store, EXO had a new album out, the group had a thing where they would tease each other about looking like those guys, it had been ages since they debuted actually, and the girls still couldn’t get enough of them.

Kris personally preferred Shinhwa

He was browsing through the albums when he caught Suho and Lay out of the corner of his eye, they both looked surprisingly happy, especially Suho.

Love is blind, love is deceiving, you deserve a happily ever after Suho, you’ve already given too much

He decided not to approach them, Kris didn’t want to ruin Suho’s radiant face, it had been a while since anyone had seen him happy.

A face only Yixing could give him, so close yet always unreachable, Kris didn’t even want to know the pain Suho had experienced, when you love someone and it goes to waste

Quietly Kris exited the shop and bumped into Jongdae and Minseok; both had wide eyes like a deer caught in headlights.

“Oh hey… Hyung… Fancy seeing you here” Chen sang, albeit quietly as he didn’t want Suho to notice their presence

“Stop spying on Joonmyun” Kris grabbed the two and dragged them away to the book shop despite Jongdae’s whines “Chen, you love books”

“Yeah but even books can’t give me the feels that Suho and Lay give me”

“Yixing is straight, everyone knows that”

“Yeah but still… Maybe-“

“No buts, no nothing, we can’t make this harder on Suho than it already is, anyway Minseok why are you encouraging this sort of behaviour out of Chen? Keep your boyfriend in line”

“Look, we’ve been together for… Ages, years, of course he’s going to rub off on me”

Kris rolled his eyes “I was hoping for the other way round”

“HEY!”

“Oh shut up Jongdae, c’mon I’ll keep you guys out of trouble”

“CHANYEOL AND BAEKHYUN ARE HERE TOO” Jongdae shouted as Kris pulled him along the shops

“Great, I come here to relax, and I end up babysitting, I wonder who else is here”

“I saw Luhan and Sehun…” Minseok said quietly

“Why should I be surprised?”

“AYOOO WHUDDUPP KREASE!”

Kris cowered as he heard that same familiar booming voice, he turned to see Chanyeol bounding his way towards them, Baekhyun grinning like mad not far behind.

“OMG OMG OMG WE JUST SAW SUHO AND LAY HERE!” Baekhyun squealed like a fan girl

Kris sighed, it really didn’t help that everyone shipped them together, it was all just going to hurt Joonmyun even more when it came down to it.

“Stop doing this guys, it’s only going to cause more damage”

“Stop doing what?” Kris froze, he knew that voice, he turned to see Suho smiling up at him, Lay standing next to him.

“Stop buying, pastries… It will make them all fat, and cause… Diabetes? Hence the word damage…”

Suho just laughed but Lay was giving him a weird look, he didn’t comment though.

“Oh shoot!” Kris glanced at his watch he had to meet Tao in two minutes “Gotta run guys!” Kris sped off towards the food court not noticing that the others were following him

“KRIS! WAIT FOR US!” Chen and Chanyeol shouted a couple of metres behind him

“GO AWAY” He shouted back, the last thing he needed was to be eating with them, it was so gross watching Chanyeol eat…

To his dismay when he arrived, four weirdoes were already with Tao, Sehun, Luhan, Kyungsoo and Jongin.

Kris groaned, although his mood softened a bit when Tao beamed up at him.

“Ge! I got some decorations for the tree you bought home for us!” Tao held up a bag full of tinsel, fairy lights and god knows what else “I invited these guys too come help decorate it with us and make Santa cookies!”

“Pfft Jongin will just eat them” Kris scoffed but didn’t object he sat down a little short breathed from running

Tao spotted the others coming to join them “Oh hey guys! I just invited Luhan, Sehun, Kyungsoo and Kai round to help decorate our tree! You should come!”

“Tao you’re way too kind” Kris chided

“Not really! Anyway what do you want for dinner?”

“Strawberry cake!” Chen giggled putting his hands around Xiumin’s shoulder

“Chen, love, that’s not proper food”

“Hyung! Please!”

“Nope get sushi or something”

“I don’t like sushi!”

“Then get pasta!”

“Fine… Pasta I can handle”

Minseok led Chen away to the Italian stall in the noisy court, while Luhan led Sehun over to the Yakisoba

“Well that’s the love birds gone” Baekhyun muttered somewhat bitterly, he sighed when no one noticed, but someone did notice that his words were laced with longing.

Someone understood

I’ve loved you ever since middle school

“OH! Important news of the evening! My sister found out the of the baby!”

“Bwoh?” Suho asked his eyes widening that soon? “I thought you had to be twenty weeks?”

“Well I don’t know she just came home, and told me she was having a girl! Maybe she’s an exception?”

“OH MY GOSH!!!!” Kyungsoo squealed excitedly “That’s so cute! I bet it’s going to look like Bom!”

“Maybe, who knows…?”

“Yeollie, let’s go get some food please” Baekhyun whined and tugged at the taller male’s shirt, he already knew that Bom was having a girl; he always knew everything before the rest.

Maybe it was cause they were best friends, or maybe it was something else.

“Okay, Baek, what do you want?”

“Can we share something?”

“Sure!” Chanyeol grinned and Baekhyun led them towards the Chinese stall

“We should get some baozi!”

“Okay, I’m good with steamed buns”

They got a pack of six to share, three red bean and three pork, Baekhyun didn’t know why but he always loved the red bean buns over the meat when Luhan made them once.

They arrived back at the table to see Luhan and Sehun feeding each other and Kris and Tao eating wonton soup.

“Uh where are Suho and Lay” Chanyeol asked as he sat himself down motioning for Baekhyun to join him.

“Yeol there aren’t any seats left” Baekhyun went to into panic mode frantically looking for a seat

“Just sit on me” Chanyeol whispered back patting his knee, Baekhyun went bright red before slowly setting himself down on Chanyeol’s mile long legs “So anyway” Chanyeol continued like normal “Where are Suho and Lay?”

“I dunno, they went to get food”

“Minmin! Can I have some cake now? I’ve finished my food!”

“If you’re still hungry?”

“YAY CAKE!”

“Why isn’t he a fatty” Luhan pouted leaning into Sehun’s chest.

----

Kris and Tao’s apartment was now sparkly and unicorn filled due to some certain people he called his friends. Kyungsoo was trying to teach Luhan how to bake cookies and Sehun was raiding their fridge for milk.

Perfect.

So his friends had just decided they’d stay the night here, no biggie, don’t even ask him, weren’t friends just lovely like that? Kris thought it was weird that people didn’t spend time with their families on Christmas, back in Canada you would always be with your family on Christmas.

Obviously that wasn’t the case here, Kris sighed as he looked at the living room, blankets and pillows all over the floor, the only thing about the scene that could make Kris happy was the smile on Tao’s face, the way his eyes curled up into crescent moons.

Tao didn’t seem to mind, people didn’t really come to their house much because Tao was always working and Kris wouldn’t let them in I suppose it will be different when they move to the dorms in Seoul, he and Tao would continue to room together like all the ‘couples’ within the group, Kris was worried about Suho sharing a dorm with Lay to say the least, he was playing a dangerous game.

Kris didn’t want to see Suho hurt, especially by his best friend.

Only Suho could make things complicated

Only I could make things complicated, I could make love complicated, I could make a tiny crush complicated, what’s wrong with me?

It was eleven, everyone wanted to sleep so they could wake up early on Christmas morning, there was a heap of gifts wrapped underneath the tree, this was one of the times where Kris was okay with his family not being here, because he knew he had a second family, a second home, a place he belonged.

These people make me happy, but this person makes me happiest of all.

If only he could see it…

----

Suho awoke to Luhan shaking him, he was pretty much hyperactive, it was six thirty in the morning forgodsake! And Luhan just gave him the honour of being woken up first, he glanced around and saw Sehun with bed ridden hair leaning sleepily against the couch, Sehun threw Suho a nod of apology while trying to keep his eyes open.

Okay so maybe he woke Sehun up first, but still, he doesn’t count

Suho just watched as Luhan pushed Chen off the couch to wake him up; who in reaction grabbed onto Minseok’s hand sending them both tumbling onto the floor.

“Luhan!” Jongdae groaned before getting up and helping his boyfriend to his feet

“MERRY CHRISTMAS!” The honey blonde shouted merrily waking the rest of the boys up.

“Dammit Luhan! You’re so ing loud!” Jongin groaned into his pillow

“Agreed” Sehun smirked and Suho shuddered yuck

Don’t tell me you don’t want that with Yixing

Shut up brain!

You love him

I love him

He doesn’t love you

He doesn’t love me

I’m doomed.

----

Kris was in the kitchen making coffee when he saw a mischievous Luhan out of the corner of his eye, starting to multitask Kris’s eye’s slowly followed Luhan’s figure as he approached Suho and Lay who were in a deep conversation about… Whatever they talk about, Kris never bothered to eavesdrop of them before but now that he thought about it.

Their conversations could be highly amusing, and intriguing

Kris was beginning to think it was funny until he saw a red and green plant clutched in Luhan’s hand

Oh no he wouldn’t

Oh yes he would

That

Kris clenched his eyes shut when he heard Luhan sing “Look you’re under the mistletoe now you have to kiss!”

Xi Luhan you are such an idiot.

Suho looked round for help bewildered, it was too early for this and he likes Lay and it was only seven in the morning and oh god he probably has morning breath.

Why are you even thinking about your breath! Suho inwardly slapped himself he looked at Lay for help but of course he just shrugged, thanks a lot, you’re so helpful, Suho struggled not to roll his eyes.

Lay starting leaning in towards the kiss

Oh my god, why me, Luhan you are going to get it, I will keep Sehun away from you I swear! I will go and hide your stuffed deer’s I will KILL YOU.

Suho stood stiffly awaiting the kiss he shut his eyes waiting for the impact and ignoring is rapid, irregular heartbeat.

Just a friend, just a friend, just a friend, he was chanting to himself when he felt soft lips on his own, it lasted only a second, a peck but god it was a best thing he’d ever experienced, he wanted more

Something he wouldn’t get

He touched his lips, it burned, in a good way, they still tingled, he could imagine the pressure on his lips.

Once wasn’t enough.

But that was all he was going to get.

The atmosphere went a tad awkward after that, apart from Luhan frolicking over to the next awkward two people- Kai and Kyungsoo

Although Suho had always wondered whether it was Kai behind a curtain, seemed plausible

Luckily Kris came and saved the day with a massive plunger of coffee, Suho laughed when he saw Sehun jump up and make a run for it.

They were all sitting round the coffee table, bed wrangled hair and in their pyjamas nibbling on cookies that no one came to eat.

“Must be because there isn’t a chimney” Tao nodded as he looked around for a space that ‘Santa’ could have got into

“Well, he just misses out” Jongin bit into a gingerbread cookie shaped like an angel.

“That’s great and all but can we open our presents now?” Chen bounded up and down a blanket wrapped around him and seated on Xiumin’s lap.

“Chenchen, that’s uncomfortable”

“Sorry hyung” Chen stopped and his mouth formed a big O shape.

“Yeah! Let’s open presents!” Jongin jumped up and ran towards the Christmas tree, Suho did not at all miss the longing glance that Kyungsoo threw the dancer as he ran past.

  Check and mate

Do Kyungsoo, it was so Jongin behind the curtain with you wasn’t it.

Luhan and Sehun handed out their presents first.

For Baekhyun they got some Shiseido eyeliner, Chanyeol a hoodie, Kyungsoo oven mitts (with doughnut patterns), Jongin got a new ps3 game, Lay a ukulele, Suho an EXO cd, Chen strawberry shampoo and body wash set which Chen complained was girly although that didn’t stop him from spraying the conditioner all into his hair, Xiumin a book on how to raise babies, Luhan clarified that Chen was the baby not anyone else, and for Kris and Tao they got a popcorn maker and some dvds as everyone was aware of their ‘movie’ night.

They went in turns giving each other presents, Kris laughed at the way Luhan blushed when Jongin got him some Lube, typical Jongin.

Kris also noticed that Kyungsoo didn’t shudder whenever Kai did something inappropriate anymore like he used too, no longer making a weird uncomfortable face whenever Kai would crack a ual joke, instead he just laughed with the others.

Maybe it was just puberty, maybe he just grew up

Or maybe he’s ing Jongin

I doubt it

It’s a possibility

No, not baby Kyungsoo

Or is he such an innocent baby?

You’re ing with my mind stop it

This is your mind

Shut up

Christmas lunch was a makeshift, Kris and Tao didn’t really have much to offer food wise, damn should of gone to the supermarket, Luhan and Sehun and Kyungsoo all had to go back home to grab some stuff to even make lunch.

Which Kris had to say was pretty impressive for what they did have.

Sehun smuggled a bottle of wine out of his and Luhan’s house as well as flour, rice, a chicken and potatoes, Kyungsoo managed to get some eggs and bacon, they already had some ramen and basic seasonings

It was a mix match and weird but it reminded Kris of his friends, weird and a complete match up.

But friends nonetheless

And that was how it was meant to be

All of us against the world.