One Month

You Again!?

-Monday-

"Jaejoong I need that report!" Gyuri yelled to her partner."You have it right?"

"It's on your desk already!"

Gyuri looked down.

"Thanks!"

A month had passed since Gyuri and Jaejoong had successfully landed the cell phone campaign. They were now in the swing of things as partners.

"We have a meeting at three. Gyuri."

"I know! Let me get my notebook real fast."

She grabbed her notebook and followed Jaejoong out the door.

Jinyoung, Jaejoong's new assistant turned to her coworker and asked him a question.

"Jungmin-shii, what's their relationship like? I've only been here a week but it seems interesting."

Jungmin looked over at her. "That's actually kind of complicated."

"It is? Are they together?"

He shook his head, "They aren't together, but they are... how do I put it?"

"They date?" she asked.

"No." he responded.

"I don't get it."

"You're not the only one. I don't think they even get it."

He smiled and shook his head. The dynamic between them had shifted ever since that night. Gyuri had still never mentioned it. She didn't tell anyone. It became another mystery, only Jaejoong and Gyuri knew the truth.

Going down the elevator Jaejoong looked over Gyuri. She wore her hair up exposing her neck line. He blew air on her.

"Aish! Don't do that!" she said, hitting his shoulder. Her reactions had become different.

Gyuri walked out of the elevator first. Jaejoong stayed put.

"Come on."

"What was the meeting for again?" he asked.

"I think it was a briefing on something. Basic stuff. Why?" she asked, walking back towards him.

"Come here." he said motioning her to his side.

She walked back beside him.

He closed the elevator doors and looked at her. "It's been a month now."

"What's been a month?"

"Gyuri stop that. You remember just as well as I do."

Her eyes opened wide and she shook her head at him. "No clue. Now come on, we're gonna be late."   

"What did I do?" he asked her.

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"I'm being serious."

"So am I. I don't want to be late." Gyuri reached for the button to open the doors. Jaejoong stopped her and pulled the emergency stop.

"What are you doing!?"

"I've brought it up before but you keep avoiding it." he said cornering her.

Gyuri looked away from him. Gyuri knew she was being childish. It was uncharacteristic of her to act this way but... she felt it was too late for her to explain her actions. She was selfish that night she left. She had no idea who he left to see, it could have been his dad or another sick relative and she became selfish for him in that moment and left upset at him. She had lost all of her reasoning abilities that night. She didn't want to explain herself now, it was easier to forget. So, she had tried to suppressed all the feelings that had been growing for him. She even tried to convince herself that nothing even happened. It was easier and she didn't want to complicate their working partnership. But he kept trying to bring it up. 

Jaejoong looked at her. It was as if there had been a role reversal and he had become the serious one. He remembered what it was like and hated it but while Gyuri continued to choose to forget... he couldn't. Everyday for the past month he thought about it. Seeing her treat him the same and her not seeming to think of it as much as he did, upset him.    

Gyuri looked back to him, "Why are you doing this?"

"Doing this?" 

"Yes this, stop it. Nothing happened."  Gyuri said rushed.

Jaejoong felt upset at her words, she was intentionally trying to push him away but in the elevator he had her cornered.

"Gyuri, I told you that I liked you before right?"

She didn't respond.

"What do you think happens when you're kissed by someone you like?"

Getting anxious and feeling her heart beat echo in her ears Gyuri tried to move away. She wanted to avoid all this. She didn't want to address it, she just wanted things to be normal.

Looking at her longingly, Jaejoong continued to ask.

"Gyuri-shii, what do you think happens to that person?"

She looked back down.

"I haven't gone on that date with Younha." he said, trying to get a response from her.

"You should do what you want." she finally replied.

"I don't want to date her."

"Whatever, do what you want. It makes no difference to me."

"Are you saying I should go out with her?"

"I'm saying you should do what you want." She met his eyes.

It was not the answer he wanted to hear. He let his guard down and Gyuri slipped out of the corner and opened the doors again.   

"We have a meeting to go to." she said, as she walked out.

Why couldn't he just take that night lightly like he took other things? Why must he keep pressing on?

Gyuri sped walked to the meeting to gain distance away from him.

Jaejoong followed her out, defeated again.

_____________________________________

-Thursday-

Gyuri was in the restroom when she heard two women enter and start chatting.

"So he really gave you a date and time?"

"Yeah, I was worried he had forgotten but he asked me today!"

It was Younha and Hara.

Gyuri walked out of her stall and washed her hands as the two girls became silent. Saying bye to her friend, Younha then approached Gyuri.

"Manager Park, you know Manager Kim pretty well don't you?" she asked excited.

"Well, not really that well..." Gyuri replied drying her hands.

 "Of course you do! You spend the most time with him. So tell me, what kind of things does he like?"

"Things? Um..."

"Yeah, like what can I do for him to like me?" 

"I can't really... I don't know any of that."

"Well maybe he never directly told you before but like what does he like doing?"

Gyuri thought to herself. This was a bizarre situation... plus she had no idea what Jaejoong liked. He was a weird, eccentric person that was impulsive and did things as he wanted. Then she started thinking further.

"He'll probably just drag you out to some street corner vendor to eat. He apparently likes doing that. He also likes being surrounded by beauty. So if you can take control over where you are going, which I doubt, take him to the most beautiful place you know. Also, he's very honest so if he starts insulting you don't take it to heart, he doesn't mean anything by it because he doesn't take things too seriously."

"Wah. You really do know him well." Younha said, staring wide eyed at Gyuri. "He's really like that?"

"Yeah." she nodded. He really was.

"He's even more exciting than I originally thought!" she smiled, "Thank you Manager!" Younha hugged Gyuri.

Gyuri stood there conflicted.

She eventually walked back to her office and looked over to Jaejoong. He had been treating her coldly since Monday afternoon.

It felt weird having him mad at her.  

She didn't know how to approach him but she had to ask him for the company portfolio.

"Jungmin, can you get the report from Jaejoong."

Jungmin looked over to her. "It's right there."

"I know, can you get it for me?"

"I'm your assistant not your retriever."

Gyuri shot him a look.  

"What?" he responded, "I'm working on something else right now."

Gyuri turned to look at Jinyoung. "Jinyoung, could you get the portfolio for me please?"

Jinyoung looked over to her. "No, problem." She got up from her seat to walk over to Jaejoong. 

"Don't. Make her get it herself." Jungmin said to his co-worker. 

"Jungmin-shii... It's okay I can get it." Jinyoung said.

"Don't." he repeated.

"Jungmin, stop that." Gyuri said to her assistant.

He shot her a look, "You can get it."

"Why are you making such a big deal out of this?" she asked him.

"I'm not. We're working on something."

Gyuri sighed, got up and walked over to Jaejoong's desk.

He coldly handed her the portfolio without a glance or a word.

...

Angry Jaejoong was scary.

She took the portfolio and walked back to her desk.

______________

-Friday-

Same story, different day. Jaejoong was still being cold.

It felt too strange, but she knew the only way to solve it was to bring up that topic.

The workday ended and Gyuri went home. It was once again her running day with Eunjung. Jaejoong hadn't been to the park since the first time so, when she saw him there she was surprised.

Eunjung saw him too.

"Isn't that Jaejoong?" she asked.

"Yeah..."

"I haven't seen him in a while. How are things going at work with him?"

"Umm..."

"He still asking you to date him?"

"What!? No! I already explained that to you."

Eunjung waved at him and he looked over to them.

"Don't do that!" Gyuri said stopping her friend's waving hand. Jaejoong looked away, apparently not interested.

"He did see us, didn't he?" Eunjung asked her friend.

Gyuri looked in his direction. He was now ignoring her... he must be really upset. "Don't worry about it." She said to both her friend and herself. But it bothered her. It bothered her a lot. 

On the path at the park, he causally ran past them. Not turning to look back, he was deliberately acting as if she wasn't even there.

Gyuri watched him. He seemed to really hate her.  

"So um, what happened?" Eunjung asked observing the situation. "Last time I checked with Jungmin, y'all were pretty 'buddy-buddy'."

"It's nothing, he's just stressed out I guess."

"Ah. I see." 

He did seem stressed but she knew that wasn't the full reason. She was usually on the other side, being the angry one so this experience was strange and horrible. She couldn't stand it any longer. 

"I'll be right back Eunjung."

"Where are you going?"

"There's something I need to say to Jaejoong."

She jogged in his direction, he was still running at a fast pace. She matched his pace and made her presence beside him known.

"Let's talk."

_______________________________________________________________

Reading the comments about the last chapter, y'all made me smile sooo much :'D

Hope y'all aren't confused by the time jump.  I will keep telling their story as best as I can. <3