Relay Race

You Again!?

Why did I overreact? It's not like I haven't seen a guy's body before. Plus he's not dumb enough to really be on the couch. He was actually so nice yesterday, and we worked really well together. Who knows what time he fell asleep and I woke him up screaming, I know I apologized... but he is the same guy that held a grudge against me for 6000 won.

With the unusual start of the day, Gyuri felt out of it. She felt stressed that maybe Jaejoong was upset at her yelling and the feeling wouldn't leave her. The fact that she felt worried made her even more upset. She needed a reason to be upset with him now. Yes, it sounded stupid but she hated feeling sorry. She avoided Jaejoong, this time for a different reason.

After the morning events and a change in location from the beach to a near by park, the festivities had the employees split into two different teams. To show unity Jaejoong and Gyuri had been paired up as leaders, switching teams after every activity to avoid direct competition between them. Even though they were leaders they were also responsible for demonstrating the games. The first game was simple enough. A three legged race.

"This activity is really easy, you really shouldn't need a demonstration." Gyuri said trying to get out of it.

"Show us! Show us! Show us!" was the reply she got back from her co-workers.

Grabbing the handkerchief out of Gyuri's hands Jaejoong pulled her to the running area.

"Let's show them how it's done." he said smiling.

Finally forcing her to be near him since the early morning, Gyuri decided to act "cool", as she should during the demonstrations. Jae bent down, tying the handkerchief that connected their legs. Gyuri watched Jaejoong carefully, feeling relieved that he didn't seem to be upset with her.

Without any time to discuss who'd step first a voice started them off.

"On my call! Ready, Set, Go!" An employee said marking the start of Gyuri and Jaejoong's race.

A loud "Ahhh!" escaped Gyuri's mouth as Jaejoong put his arm around her shoulders and swiftly moved forward sending her off balance.

"Ya! Slow down!" she said hitting Jaejoong's hand.

"We have to set a good time!" he replied back at her.

"I'm gonna fall if you keep pushing me like this!"

"I was worried about this when I saw your stubby legs."

...stubby legs...

"My legs are not stubby!!!!"

"Then move them faster!"

Moving a bit faster the results were the same. Gyuri was lagging.

"I can't match your steps still! Your legs are too long!"

"Here." Jaejoong moved his arm from around her shoulder to her waist, pulling some of her weight for her.

His touch silenced her... mostly due to the fact that his grasp was tight. With him pulling her along they picked up the pace and Gyuri was able to fall in step with him. The employees started cheering louder as they made their way to the finish line. They both were smiling ear to ear, the three legged race was so ridiculous that it became funny to the partners. Reaching the finishing line they clocked in at a great time. Filled with excitement Jaejoong took his arms and wrapped them around Gyuri's back in an embrace.

Jaejoong was strong & warm.

In his embrace Gyuri felt light and safe. She could also feel his heart beating fast... almost as fast as her own.

About to lift her arms around him to hug back, he let her go and kneeled down to untie them. He then received high fives from some employees impressed by the record time.

With the demonstration over, the employees lined up for the race. At the end of the first event Gyuri's team was up by 1 win.

The next couple of the games didn't involve having partners and so no contact was needed between them. After what had happened last time Gyuri felt slightly relieved. It was also apparent to her that Jaejoong held no grudge against her for the morning, making Gyuri feel better as well. The last activity of the day was a relay race. The race wasn't the deciding factor in who would win it all but it still held some weight as both teams wanted to win. This activity also had both leaders as anchors, the first activity that they would be contributing to the score. Being a runner since high school Gyuri felt confident, but she had seen Jaejoong running at the park before too so she wasn't completely confident since she didn't know what to expect from him.

Doing some final stretching Jaejoong looked over to Gyuri, who was also stretching out.

"Good Luck." he said flashing his usual brilliant smile.

"Right back at you."

"I think you'll need it more, stubby legs."

...stubby legs again...?...

"We'll see who needs it more Long Legs!" Gyuri countered back at him.

With their friendly convo over they both smiled and soon the race began.

With 7 runners per team the race was consistently close. Whenever a runner would overtake the competition the next runner would close the gap. It all boiled down to Gyuri & Jaejoong.

With Gyuri's 6th runner making his way towards her she got ready to run. The baton hit her hand and as she grabbed it she took off. She needed to secure a big enough lead. She had to win. For the team, and for herself. Taking fast paced strides she had managed to create a large gap... but as soon as Jaejoong was handed the baton he quickly recovered lost time and distance.

Those damn long legs of his!... Gyuri had seen him take off in a flash. He took large strides and was closing in. Getting closer and closer, Gyuri picked up her pace. She had to win. Had to, but Jaejoong was still gaining on her. His speed shocked everyone.

Almost at the finish line, Jaejoong had caught up to Gyuri. With only a few steps left, the finish line was finally crossed.

________________________________________________________________________________________

[Chapter 12 Preview]

"I promise."

"Pinky promise?"

"Pinky promise, now get some sleep."

"Okay, I will, Goodnight."

"I love you." Jaejoong said sweetly.

"I love you too."

______________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading! <3