The Beginning

That Jerk Who Changed My Life

*Yeeun's POV*

“I’m at the payphone… *vibrates* *vibrates* trying to call home, *vibrates* *vibrates* All of my changes I spent on you…….”

I wake up as I hear that song. Yeah, Maroon 5’s Payphone. To be honest I love that song to the lots, that’s why I set it as my ringtone. But for some unknown reason, I start to feel some hatred within me upon hearing that song to be played. Because probably that song has ruined some of my favorite activities, one of the example is this― sleeping.

Feeling totally frustrated, I ruffle my hair and reach out my blackberry which is still ringing. I look at the screen, and see “Appa” in my phone screen.

Appa is my foster Dad. His name is Lee SooMan, the manager of SM Entertainment which is so hugely popular in Asia, and even starting to be famous in the countries worldwide. I admire him so much, because he started his business in 0, and now he made it this far. K-pop is loved worldwide.

Annyeong Appa? Any reason why you call me early, in the morning?” I say with a sleepy voice―because I AM still sleepy.

“Oh. Not a good greetings from my own daughter. Remember Yeeun, you have to study wake up earlier! You have to become a wife and a mother later on. You have to get used to waking up in the morning.” Appa says.

“Oh okay. I’ll bear that in mind. And you haven’t told me why exactly you called me in the morning.”

“Oh!” He laughs. “Yes, I already heard from Mom that you have 2 months of break from the college and you’re going to spend it in Korea, aren’t you?”

Oh Snap. Dad’s antenna is surely freakin tall. I didn’t expect him to know it that fast, I just told my Daddy and Mommy― my real parents that I’ll be going to Korea next week to spend my holidays there. It’s been years since I’ve come back to Korea anyway.

“Ummm yes. And excellent antenna you got there, Dad.”

He laughs, this time even louder and merrier. “Oh Yeeun, of course I do have excellent antenna, and I just want to tell you that you have to visit me in SME!”

This is the reason why I don’t want Dad to know my trip to Korea. What he means by ‘visit’ is actually sticking around the company for hours a day. I don’t even know why I’m asked to be there. Standing there hours per day won’t make me change my mind. I still don’t want to become an idol nor interested in their idol life. Except for being friends with SM Town’s idols and staffs okay?  They’re like my family already. But I don’t quite know the new debuted group and trainees because it’s been years since I came back to Korea.

 Okay I know it’s impossible to hide my trip from Dad since he has such a tremendously high antenna, but at least I hoped that I can keep it from him longer. I planned to do some part time job in Korea as a dentist since you know I have my degree in dentistry and currently taking master in oral surgery. If I work as a dentist, my time in SME will be shorter, and I can gain a lot of new experiences and knowledge by working as a part time dentist― you know I have to have some fun too okay in Korea.

“Okay I’ll surely visit you.” I say in a flat tone.

“Are you being unwilling?”

“No―” “Yeeun. Do you still regard me as your foster Dad? Do you know how much I missed you not meeting you in ages? I was hoping to spend some time with you, you know.” Dad cuts of my sentences before I could finish them. Yeah. That’s my Dad. He has such a great tactics to make me sounded like a most bad daughter in the universe. Props to Dad! Yeaaaaaay. No, I’m kidding and I still hate the fact I have to stay around the company for hours per day. But what to do, I still have to accept it right? I still love him so much as my Dad, and I won’t let him down. So goodbye to my part-time-dentist-life.

“Yeah of course I do regard you as my Dad, and I miss you too. I’ll visit you in SME, I promise.”

“Okay, that’s a promise, isn’t it?” He says on the line, obviously being happy.

“Yes Dad, is there a ‘no’ from me in your dictionary? No right?”

He laughs again. “You know me too well. And Yeeun-a…”

“Yes?”

“I want you to really consider the offer of being trainee in SM.”

“Umm sorry but no, Appa. I considered it way so looooooooong and it’s a no. It was, it is and it will still be a no.”

He sighed. “Well then, remember the promise to visit me often in SM.”

What―I didn’t say I promise to visit him often………… I just promised to visit him. Okay whatever.

“Yes. You can count on me Dad.”

“That’s my girl. I bought for your airplane ticket as I can’t wait to meet you sooner! I bought the tickets for Friday, which will be 2 days more. 1 week is way too long, Yeeun. And oh there’s an extra tickets for you in total 3 because I wondered whether your friends want to join you to come to Korea faster or not.”

“Whaaaaat Dad?”

“No more bargain. See you in 2 days!”

“But Dad―” *tut* *tut* Dad has turned off his phone.

Oh fine.

Okay, let me do a brief introduction about my foster dad. My foster dad dedicates all his life in SM Entertainment. He doesn't marry so he doesn't have any children. He may sound annoying, but he is very caring to me and my family, of course. So, he decided to become my foster dad and I'm fine with it.  He really really want me to train in SM and become an idol in South Korea. The reason why he wanted me to join SME happens exactly 3 years ago in a Karaoke room.

Dad was having his birthday and he decided our big family will go noraebang. Because Dad likes Girls' Generation, a female idol group which was under SME, I sang SNSD's Genie for him. Actually I don't really know the song well, but my best friend, Soorim, that famous make-up guru in the internet, who is an epic fan of every SM's artists keep replaying the song and thanks to her, I know the rhythm of the song. As I can read Hangeul, so singing it in noraebang is no problem for me.

Both of my Dads, my real dad and my foster dad were extremely and outrageously happy to hear me sing a SNSD's song. When I hit the high notes of the song, like the lead vocalist of SNSD does, who is her name..Ta.. Tae― Urgh. Something starts with Taeng, I forgot her real name, my foster dad decided to let me become a trainee of SME. But.............. I rejected the offer. And I'm still rejecting the offer till now. (Taeyeon's high notes on Genie : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GDkbl8tpfA)

*Ding dong ding dong*

It must be Soorim. She must be blabbering on which clothes she should wear for her to go to SM. And she must be freakin shocked when I tell her that we’re actually going to Korea the next 2 days. Okay, a brief introduction about Soorim. She’s my best friend, and she’s a Taiwanesewho is studying in USA. We met in high school and still becoming friends until now. She’s not majoring in dentistry like I do, she’s majoring in accountancy. She’s a make-up guru, in par with Michelle Phan and the others, and that makes her a Youtube celebrity. And she is a huge huge huge huge fan of every idols in SM. She likes those rookie guys in EXO. I don’t even know how they look like because every time Soorim insists me to watch the MV, I rejected it― As I said, I’m not interested in K-pop. She did publicize her love for K-pop in Youtube, but she managed to keep calm while talking about K-pop when the camera is on. But you know, when the cam’s off, she could go crazy immediately talking about K-pop. She’s a super maniac for K-pop.

“Hi Soorim!” I grit my teeth as I smile, trying to hide my nervousness.

“Heeeeey Yeeun!” She comes in to my apartment, dragging a suitcase.

“What’s that?”

“My tons of clothes. I wanted to ask you which one of them is prettier to be used when we’re going to SM. I wish I can bring them all………”

“Hey Soorim.” I say nervously.

“What?” Soorim says while unpacking her suitcase and let out her clothes.

“Umm. We’re going to Korea in 2 days.”

“Yes I know we’re going―WHAAAAAAAAAAAT YEEUN IN 2 DAYS?!” She shouts as she stops unfolding her clothes immediately.

“Y-yes. You know my foster Dad called and he bought 2 airplane tickets for us.”

“WHAAAAT MR. SOOMAN BOUGHT MY AIRPLANE TICKEEEET?!”

“Calm down, man.”

“HOW DO I SUPPOSE TO CALM DOWN?! I DON’T HAVE ANYTHING TO WEAR WHEN I MEET EXO. OH GOSSSSSSSSSHHHHHH.” Soorim starts to have mental breakdown as she heard the news.

“YOU! LEE YEEUN, ACCOMPANY ME SHOPPING NOW!”

“But I haven’t took  a bath?”

“I DON’T CARE. I’LL GIVE YOU 5 MINUTES TO PREPARE!”

“For God’s sake your clothes are already so many, miss fashionista. Why bother buying new clothes?”

“Just accompany me will you?” She starts being calmer. That’s how a Kpop freak she is.

“Okay. Whatever.”

*appa : dad

*annyeong : hello (informal)

*noraebang : karaoke