Sieben (7)

Some Things Never Change

After the foot massage, they proceeded to the table with many card games.

"Oh look, Mina! Let's play those!" Chaeyoung chirped.

"Forget those! They're just wasting our time! We only have 90 minutes here! Come, let me take you to my favorite place!" Mina retorted.

Chaeyoung followed Mina.

"Now, this is the real game!" Mina exclaimed.

She cracked her knuckles and neck.

"I've never been beaten in a game of street fighter before! This time, I'll kick your , for sure!" Mina pridefully said.

"I've never played this before!" Chaeyoung retorted.

"It's very simple! Control the joystick to move! One of the buttons is for punching, the other is for kicking!" Mina explained.

True to Mina's words, Chaeyoung kept on getting beaten. He tried to defeat Mina by tickling her, but she stomped his foot and ended up winning. After getting beaten over and over again, a staff approached them, informing them that the time was up for them.

"Can we please get more time?" Mina asked the staff.

"We will have to charge you 500 won for every 10 minutes!" The staff replied.

"Oh okay, then we're leaving!" Chaeyoung informed the staff.

The staff nodded.

"Who says we're leaving?" Mina asked.

"I'm not done beating you!" Mina added.

"We would like additional 30 minutes, please!" Mina requested.

"Mina!" Chaeyoung whined.

Mina stuck her tongue out and for the whole 30 minutes, Chaeyoung was beaten. Mina exited the place laughing to her heart's content. Meanwhile, Chaeyoung was sulking.

"Oh, come on, you pouty cub! Don't be such a sore loser!" Mina appeased.

"You're the one to say! When I beat you in a game of pool, you accused me of cheating!" Chaeyoung argued.

"Whatever! I still beat you about maybe 50 times! Haha! Loser!" Mina mocked.

Chaeyoung groaned.

"The day is dark already! Wanna eat dinner?" Mina asked.

Chaeyoung nodded.

"This is a special restaurant for me. Because, it reminds me of back home." Mina said as soon as they took their place at the Japanese restaurant.

"Do you miss home?" Chaeyoung asked.

"I do." Mina answered.

They then began to order food.

"If you miss home, why don't you go to university in your homeland?" Chaeyoung asked.

Mina looked down.

"I committed a big sin, Chaeyoung. You don't know how hard it was for me to swallow the fact that your mother died and I wasn't there for you. Especially, when I promised your mother I would take care of you." Mina lamented.

"I used to go to your mother's grave everyday. Never missing a day. Decorating her grave, sometimes just bringing her flowers or soju to pour to her grave. It was the least I could do to redeem myself. I also wished that I could see you again, but you never came." Mina continued.

"I really beat myself over the fact that you left me. I thought you must be mad at me to the point that you didn't want to see me again. I couldn't forgive myself. Every time, you didn't show up at the funeral, I quickly was reminded of what a horrible person I was, and how you must be so angry at me

"Seeing you again after so many years brought my heart at ease. I saw that you forgave me and things were working out in your favor. I now visit your mother's grave, only once a year. Have you never visited your mother's grave or were you just avoiding me?" Mina asked.

Chaeyoung sighed.

"It wasn't also easy for me to accept the fact that my mother died, you know. I also still couldn't believe she died. So, sometimes I pretended that my mother was busy, that's why I stayed with my father while my mother was somewhere else. Someday, she would come back to see me. I would throw a tantrum back then, every time someone mentioned that mommy is dead or anything related to that." Chaeyoung explained.

"As I grew up, I slowly began to accept the fact that mommy has died. It took a lot of courage for me to visit mommy's funeral and when I did, it felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders and I felt like it was the most appropriate thing for me to do, which is to let her go. It's about time I let her go in peace." Chaeyoung continued.

Mina held his hand.

"I'm really sorry, Chaeyoung. I can't imagine the pain that you had to go through. I saw how much you love your mother, it must be excruciating." Mina murmured.

Chaeyoung looked down. His eyes started to get teary, but he fought to hold his tears, clenching both of his hands. Moreover, they were at a public place. Crying in public was was the last thing he wanted to do. Mina, sensing the gloomy atmosphere, quickly scooted near him to hug him and he just lost it and cried in her embrace.

"I miss her so much, Mina" Chaeyoung cried.

Mina rubbed his back.

"I know! I know you do!" Mina whispered.

After a while, the waiter delivered their food and Chaeyoung quickly broke off the hug and wiped his tears. His eyes, nose and ears were red from crying.

"I'll go to the washroom, ok?" Chaeyoung informed.

Mina nodded and began to eat her food, while Chaeyoung washed his face in the restroom. After that, he came back and began to eat his food too.

"By the way, Mina. How did you know about mommy's funeral? Did someone tell you?" Chaeyoung asked, confused, while eating his food.

"I searched all the funerals all over Seoul until I found it." Mina replied.

"Wow!" Chaeyoung breathed.

"I had to do it. It was the least I could do." Mina retorted.

Chaeyoung held her hand.

"Thank you so much, Minari. You came to take care of my mother's grave, when I couldn't do it, because I was such a coward." Chaeyoung thanked Mina.

"Hey, hey, don't say that about yourself. It mustn't have been easy accepting the fact that your mother died." Mina reprimanded.

Chaeyoung looked down.

"But still, if you didn't visit mommy's grave, then noone would take care of it." Chaeyoung argued.

"It's ok, Chaeng! I got you!" Mina murmured.

Chaeyoung smiled, showing his dimples.