Siebenunddreißig (37)

Some Things Never Change

After glaring at Yeri and killing Yeri in her mind, Mina felt tired and eventually fell asleep. Yeri could do nothing but pretend that she didn't feel anything, when she had goosebumps the whole time because of how scary Mina was. She peeked at the sleeping Mina on Chaeyoung's bed.

"Is that your girlfriend?" Yeri whispered.

Chaeyoung let out a nervous laugh.

"Ex" He answered shortly.

Yeri furrowed her eyebrow.

"Then why is she here?" She asked, still whispering. "Is she like that obsessive ex that can't move on?" 

Chaeyoung widened his eyes.

"No" he denied "No, uhm, it's- complicated."

"Oh ok, she's just so scary, glaring at me the whole time." Yeri pointed out.

"Yeah, I don't know what's with her. She's not usually like this." Chaeyoung shrugged.

"Alright, let's continue. We haven't got much time!" Yeri snapped.

So, they continued their work again.

 


After awhile, they decided to just continue tomorrow since it was getting late.

"So, how are you going home?" Chaeyoung asked, since Chaeyoung had driven Yeri to his home.

"I'll take the bus." Yeri answered nonchalantly.

"At this hour?" Chaeyoung questioned.

"I'm used to it." Yeri assured.

"Nah, but I will be worried sick if you take the bus at this late hour. I'll drive you home." Chaeyoung insisted.

"I'm ok, really! You already drove me to your home and also fed me dinner." Yeri refused.

"And I'll drive you again, this time to your home." Chaeyounng beamed.

Yeri just sighed in defeat.

"Thank you, Chaeyoung, but what about your ex? Are we gonna wake her up?" Yeri asked.

"Nah, just let her stay there. Let's go!" Chaeoyung chirped.

 

 


"Thanks for taking me home, Chae" Yeri beamed.

Chaeyoung furrowed his eyebrows.

"Where do you live?" Chaeyoung asked.

"Oh, I'll have to enter this alleyway, your car won't fit." Yeri answered, pointing at an alleyway.

"Ok, I'll just park my car." Chaeyoung informed.

"Chaeyoung, you really don't need to accompany me home. I'm ok alone." Yeri whined.

"Shhh, I'm accompanying you home. It looks like a dangerous place and I'm not letting a girl like you walk that alleyway  alone." Chaeyoung sternly said, while looking for a place to park.

Yeri blushed a little. Chaeyoung was such a charming man, no wonder his ex couldn't let go of him. After finding a parking place, they both got off the car and Chaeyoung quickly grabbed Yeri's hand. Yeri's face turned redder. Good thing that it was dark, so he couldn't see her face.

"Stay close to me!" Chaeyoung instructed.

Yeri just kept silent and followed Chaeyoung. Yeri indeed lived in a very dangerous neighborhood. The alleyway was full of crackheads and drunkards, but this place was the only one affordable for her. She came all the way from a small village in South Korea and was only accepted in University due to her good grades and was granted scholarship.

After arriving at her place, her face fell when she saw that all her stuffs were scattered outside of her small room and some people were looting her stuffs.

"MY STUFFS!" She shouted and ran to secure her stuffs.

The looters quickly scrambled away. She noticed that her emergency money was completely gone, some of her clothes, cooking utensils, bags and food supplies too.

"No!" Yeri cried.

She picked up the stuffs that was left and collapsed on the ground, crying her eyes out.

"What am I gonna do now?" She cried.

"What happened though?" Chaeyoung asked.

"The landlord said that she wanted to sell this side of the building and I begged her to give me more time to find another place to stay but I guess she ran out of patience and just threw my stuffs away and now some of my stuffs are stolen, including emergency money." She wailed.

Chaeyoung pulled Yeri into a hug and Yeri cried hard on his chest with Chaeyoung gently rubbing her back.

"It's ok, you can stay at my place and I'll buy you the things that you need." Chaeyoung gently whispered.

"No, I can't take your money. You've helped me enough." Yeri cried.

"Shhh, we're friends now, so it's fine." Chaeyoung retorted.

 


So, they drove back to Chaeyoung's place and Yeri was pretty much traumatized by the situation, so she just kept quiet the whole ride, spacing out. Worrying about the days ahead of her. Thinking about how to earn some money for herself. Once they reached Chaeyoung's condo, they were met with a fuming penguin. 

"Where have you been?" Mina questioned, hands on her hips

"I was taking Yeri home, but then she was met with trouble. She was kicked out of the place she lived and some of her stuffs are stolen." Chaeyoung explained.

Mina quickly changed her expression. She was overwhelmed with pity.

"I'm sorry you went though all this, Yeri." Mina murmured.

Yeri just nodded, unable to utter a word.

"So, where's she gonna stay?" Mina asked.

"Here" Chaeyoung nonchalantly answered.

"What? No!" Mina badgered.

Chaeyoung sighed.

"Where else would she be staying then, Mina?" Chaeyoung questioned.

"At the mansion?" Mina replied.

"Your mansion?" Chaeyoung asked.

Mina nodded her head.

"There's an unoccupied room. She could stay there!" Mina chirped.

"Is that fine with you, Yeri?" Chaeyoung gently asked.

"O-only if it's fine for Mina." Yeri stuttered.

"It's very fine for me! Chaengie! You're coming too!" Mina chirped happily.

"Why do I have to come?" Chaeyoung asked.

"Chaengie!" Mina whined.

"Besides, there are many things we need to talk about, about us." Mina reasoned.

"Please, Chaengie!" Mina pleaded with her puppy eyes.

"You're always like this!" Chaeyoung complained.

"I just know what your weakness is, hehe." Mina joked.

"Ok, then I'll drive Yeri to your mansion." Chaeyoung informed.

"No!" Mina screamed. "She's coming with me!" 

"Come on, Yeri!" Mina beckoned.

Yeri just silently followed. Chaeyoung helped her take some of her stuffs for her.

"What are you doing?" Mina whined.

"I'm just helping her with her stuffs." Chaeyoung replied.

"Ok" Mina grumbled, pouting.

Chaeyoung just shook his head. Jealous Mina was such a new sight for him.