Neunundvierzig (49)

Some Things Never Change

The next morning, Mrs. Myoui woke up early and cooked omurice for their breakfast. Not long after, Chaeyoung woke up and showered directly. After Chaeyoung was done showering, he went to wake Mina and it was Mina's turn to shower.

"Smells nice!" Chaeyoung commented.

"Thanks, Chaeyoung. I'm almost done. Can you set the tables up?" Mrs. Myoui responded.

"Sure!" Chaeyoung nodded then went to set the tables. 

Mina was then done with showering and then headed to the dining table.

"Wow! Omurice!" Mina gleed. "Did you cook this, Chaengie?"

"It's your mother." Chaeyoung answered.

"Mama, you can cook? I didn't know that." Mina exasperated.

"I used to cook before our business was well. You weren't born yet. Now, eat!" Mrs. Myoui explained.

They then ate appetizingly.

"I love it, Mama!" Mina gushed after she finished her food.

"This is indeed delicious!" Chaeyoung chimed in as he too finished his food.

"Mama, are you going to the company today?" Mina asked.

Mrs. Myoui sighed. "As much as I'm upset with your father right now. I still have to face me. Don't worry, I'll do everything in my power to make sure that your father won't do anything that would cross the line. I'm on your side."

"Thank you, Mama!" Mina thanked her mom.

"Thank you, Mrs. Myoui, I mean, M-mama." Chaeyoung also thanked his future mother in law.

"Now both of you should go! You don't wanna be late!" Mrs. Myoui implored.

"Ok bye, Mama!" Mina chirped. She kissed her mother's cheek then left.

"Bye, Mama!" Chaeyoung awkwardly said then hurriedly left.

Mrs. Myoui just chuckled at Chaeyoung's awkward behavior. She then went to clean the table and wash the dishes, prepared herself to go to the office.

 

 

 

On the other hand, in Tzuyu's place. Yeri was the one that cooked. Yeri was about to cook for herself only as she was still upset with Tzuyu but her conscience wouldn't let her do that, besides she was sort of indebted to Tzuyu for providing her a place to live. Now, at least, she wasn't being a free loader as her payment was her pretending to be Tzuyu's fiancé. She sighed.

"Why are you sighing?" Tzuyu asked.

Yeri was startled.

"Tzuyu! You scared me!" Yeri yelled.

Tzuyu just shrugged. "What are you cooking?" 

"Fried rice! You go and shower if you're not gonna help!" Yeri nagged.

"I'll help." Tzuyu responded. 

"Just go!" Yeri yelled.

Tzuyu chuckled then went to the bathroom.

"Ugh! He's so annoying." Yeri whined.

 

 


As soon as Mrs. Myoui arrived in Mrs. Myoui and Mr. Myoui's shared office. Mr. Myoui jumped from his seat.

"Honey! you came!" He laughed awkwardly.

"You better cancel everything that you planned with the Chous. Mina is not marrying Tzuyu!" Mrs. Myoui threatened.

"Of course, honey!" Mr. Myoui lied.

"You better not plot something behind my back!"

"Of course, hehehe. You're coming home tonight, right?" Mr. Myoui asked.

"Only if you behave!" Mrs. Myoui answered.

"I will, hehehe!" Mr. Myoui responded.

 

 


During break time, as usual, Tzuyu, Chaeyoung, Yeri and Jeongyeon were eating together. Chaeyoung was filling Jeongyeon in on what happened.

"Gosh, what a mess!" Jeongyeon responded. "Are you sure you wanna risk it all for Mina, Chaeng? She hasn't been sincere with you, if I'm honest."

"Mina's changed." Chaeyoung retorted.

"Whatever you say" Jeongyeon replied.

"What about you, Yeri. You're sure you're okay with this?" Jeongyeon asked.

Just as Yeri was about to answer, Tzuyu got a call from his dad. Tzuyu then got up to answer the call from his father.

"So?" Jeongyeon asked again.

"I mean, he provides a place to stay and pretending to be his fiancé is a payment." Yeri answered dejectedly.

"Yeri, you can always stay at our place free of charge." Chaeyoung chimed in.

"I'll feel indebted, besides if this could help everyone, it would make me feel nice to help." Yeri explained.

Chaeyoung sighed.

Tzuyu returned to his seat. "Yeri, my father told me to come meet him after school. I think it has to do with you, so you should come with me."

Yeri gulped.

"Do you need assistance?" Chaeyoung asked.

"Nah, I got it under control." Tzuyu coolly answered.

"Ok, I'm just one call away." Chaeyoung reassured.

 


On the way to Tzuyu's dad's office in Tzuyu's car.

"Just relax and answer everything honestly, except for the fact that we're not really dating of course." Tzuyu assured.

Yeri just kept silent.

Tzuyu glanced over. "Why are you not saying anything?"

"Yes, Tzuyu." Yeri rolled her eyes.

"This would help you move on faster!" Tzuyu pointed out.

Yeri just balled her hand into a fist and gritted her teeth. She hoped this problem would end soon and she could find a way to make money and get a place of her own.

 

 

 


"Ah, it's good that you brought your girlfriend along." Mr. Chou commented. "So, Yeri, isn' it? Let me get straight to the point. What are your parents' occupations?"

"My dad is a farmer and my mom is a stay at home mom." Yeri timidly answered.

Mr. Chou scoffed. "You must think our family is an opportunity for you!"

"FATHER!" Tzuyu yelled. "Don't talk to my girlfriend like that!"

"Tzuyu, you must have bumped your head, because it's crazy that you can't see through your so-called girlfriend." Mr. Chou replied. "And you, you gold-digger, are you happy to meet someone who you can finally leech from?"

Yeri balled her fist. She wanted to say that she didn't even like Tzuyu but she held her tongue.

"Father, that's enough!" Tzuyu bellowed. "Let's go, Yeri!"

"I'll never approve of this relationship! Mark my words! You will marry, Mina!" Mr. Chou intoned.

"Then, forget me as your son, father!" Tzuyu replied.

"You!" Mr. Chou widened his eyes in anger. "You must be happy, gold-digger!"

Yeri was about to retort when Tzuyu dragged her away. As soon as they reached his car, she started crying. She knew that she wasn't a gold-digger and she shouldn't let Mr. Chou's words get to her, but it still hurt, especially when Mr. Chou didn't hesitate to say it to her face.

Tzuyu looked at Yeri's crying figure. He was overwhelmed wih guilt and pity, but at the same time, he didn't know how to comfort someone. So, he just started driving, while occasionally glancing at her.