Siebenundzwanzig (27)

Some Things Never Change

As Chaeyoung predicted, things went pretty well. He didn't have bad mood all the time anymore, because he didn't witness Jimin and Mina's interaction anymore. The only thing bothering him was only Mina refusing to go on a date with him, but he tried his best to be understading. Maybe Mina was tired from Uni and also practice.

Until one time, Jimin appeared on their home. Jimin was carrying a sleeping Mina, bridal style. Chaeyoung was dumbfounded at the scene.

"Oh, hi Chaeyoung. Uhm, can you tell me which room is Mina's?" Jimin asked.

Chaeyoung just kept silent. He didn't understand what's going on.

"Chaeyoung, Mina is light, but I don't think I can keep on carrying her." Jimin joked.

Chaeyoung then wordlessly pointed at Mina's room and Jimin quickly went there. He gently put Mina on her bed and covered her with the blanket and then he went out.

"Oh, hey Chaeyoung. I didn't know, you and Mina live together. Well, I've put Mina on her bed. If you're wondering on what's going on. We actually practiced after class too today, since we will be performing next week. We want to practice extra hard as D-day is coming, but it seemed that Mina got so tired that she fell asleep. I apologize for this. I didn't realize that it was too much for Mina." Jimin explained.

"So, if there isn't anything else. Then, I'll take my leave. Bye!" He chirped.

He was about to leave when Chaeyoung shouted, "Wait!"

"Yes?" Jimin inquired.

"Have you had dinner yet?" Chaeyoung asked.

"Ah, not yet, that's why I wanna quickly go home because I still need to cook." Jimin replied.

"No need, just eat here." Chaeyoung retorted.

"Ah, there's really no need." Jimin shyly said.

"I insist!" Chaeyoung insisted.

 

 

They then ended up eating together. It was really awkward for Jimin because Chaeyoung was very silent and looked a bit upset. Maybe, Chaeyoung was upset about the fact that he was carrying Chaeyoung's girlfriend home.

So, after he finished his meal, he apologized, "Uhm, Chaeyoung. I apologize if you're upset about me taking Mina home. I tried to contact Momo, but Momo was already home. So, I took the initiative. I promise it won't happen again."

Chaeyoung was still silent as he ate his food. Jimin became more uncomfortable after that but he didn't wana be rude so he kept silent and waited until Chaeyoung finished his food.

After Chaeyoung finished, he quickly said, "Chaeyoung, thank you for the meal, but I really need to go!"

"How did you get here?" Chaeyoung asked.

"I drove Mina's car." Jimin answered.

"The car is still in perfect condition though. I drove very well and responsibly." He assured.

"How are you gonna get home then?" Chaeyoung asked.

"By bus" Jimin answered.

"I'll drive you home!" Chaeyoung said.

Jimin widened his eyes.

"T-there's really no need to!" He stuttered.

"Just follow me to the car, Jimin!" Chaeyoung said, a bit pissed.

Jimin sighed and followed Chaeyoung.

 


They arrived at Jimin's place. 

"Thanks for taking me home, Chaeyoung." Jimin thanked Chaeyoung.

He was about to hop off the car when Cheyoung asked, "Are you not gonna invite me in?" 

Jimin's face turned red. 

"Uhm, I live in a rooftop house. It's not a suitable place for someone like you." Jimin shyly explained.

Chaeyoung raised his eyebrow.

"Why not?" Chaeyoung asked, sounding offended.

"Uhm, it's nothing compared to the life you're used to." Jimin answered.

"You don't know anything about me!" Chaeyoung snapped.

"If you won't invite me, I'll invite myself!" Chayoung badgered.

Jimin sighed.

"Ok, sorry, but don't expect anything!" Jimin apologized.

Chaeyoung then found a place to park his car and silently followed Jimin to his house. Climbing up the stairs felt nostalgic to Chaeyoung. He used to climb these kinds of stairs everyday for most of his childhood days. He still remembered when his mother was holding his hand tightly as they climbed up and down the stairs afraid that he would fall. It was just a distant memory now.

 


Soon, they reached Jimin's place. It was not so different to his childhood home, but Jimin's was smaller. 

"It's not much, but it's enough for me." Jimin sheepishly said.

"Where are your parents?" Chaeyoung asked.

"Oh, they're back home in Gyeonggi-do. I'm alone here in Seoul." Jimin explained.

Chaeyoung's eyes continued to wander all over the place.

"Do you wanna drink something, Chaeyoung?" Jimin asked.

"Do you have beer?" Chaeyoung asked.

"I don't drink." Jimin mumbled. "I have cola if you want!"

"Okay." Chaeyoung agreed.

Jimin then grabbed a cola from the fridge and handed it to Chaeyoung and Chaeyoung began drinking it.

"You should drink too!" Chaeyoung encouraged.

"Nah, drinking soda before you sleep is bad for your health." Jimin declined. 

Chaeyoung then continued drinking his soda, while thinking deeply. He may have treated Jimin really badly for no reason and he may have to accept the fact that Mina was in love with Jimin, not him. He tried denying it so hard, but at this point, he couldn't deny it any longer.

He sighed. His head was spinning. The soda wasn't helping, either. This wasn't easy to accept, that even after 6 years, it still wasn't him, after all. He thought Jimin was some bratty, stuck up, playboy, who tried to steal his girlfriend, but it couldn't be farther from the truth.

From the way Jimin cared about Mina and the way he interacted with her. It became obvious to him as well that Mina and Jimin were in love with each other. All this time, he thought that Jimin was in the way of his relationship with Mina, but it was actually him that was in the way of Jimin and Mina's love. He wanted to tell Jimin all this but his tongue was tied.

The only thing he managed to say was, "Can I get your phone number?"

"Sure" Jimin shortly replied.

"Jimin, if you need anything, you can contact me, ok?" Chaeyoung cooed.

"Likewise." Jimin smiled.

After that, Chaeyoung drove back home. He checked on Mina as soon as he went back home and Mina was still sound asleep. So, he brushed his teeth and went to his own bed, but of course, he couldn't sleep. He laid awoke that night as he reflected on his relationship with Mina.