Vier (4)

Some Things Never Change

"Unnie, you hurt my ears!" Mina complained.

"Sorry" Nayeon muttered.

"It's just that, it's just gonna be just the both of you, right? So, is this what I'm thinking it is..." Nayeon questioned, wiggling her eyebrows.

"Ah, you mean a date?" Momo asked.

Mina's face turned red.

"Y-yah! Unnie! What are you thinking?" Mina stammered.

"I've been thinking, if Chaeyoung has that much impact in your life, to the point that it changes you completely. I agree with Momo by the way, you changed 180 degrees after middle school, and it's all because of Chaeyoung. Does it mean you're in love with him?" Nayeon thought out loud.

"I've been thinking the same thing too." Momo agreed.

"A-a-am I?" Mina stuttered, feeling confused.

"I mean, if he's just a friend to you, then why did you change so much because of him? You even broke up with Mark, arguably the hottest guy in middle school!" Nayeon argued.

"Although he's just a disgusting bully!" Nayeon muttered.

"Yeah, I remember you crying your eyes out everyday for a week when you knew about Chaeyoung leaving Seoul! We had to take care of you because you refused to eat as well!" Momo chimed in.

Hearing these made Mina think, had  she really looked at Chaeyoung that way? She was convinced that she had been too young to understand love when she had been in middle school and she only had gotten together with Mark because he had given her so much attention, but she remembered the feeling of euphoria when they had been together, when Mark had finally asked her out, when they had had their first kiss, when they had had their dates, pretty much every moment of them. She didn't remember having these feelings toward Chaeyoung. Although, she had enjoyed Chaeyoung's company even though he had never spoken.

"Don't need to think too much, Mina! It's pretty obvious that you love Chaeyoung! Now that he's back, grab your chance!" Nayeon encouraged.

"Yeah, right!" Momo echoed.

"But wait, is he single?" Momo asked.

"Oh yeah, is he?" Nayeon also asked.

"I-I don't know!" Mina breathed.

"Don't forget to find out! You don't wanna ruin people's relationship!" Nayeon warned.

Momo nodded, agreeing to Nayeon.







 

It'd been a week since that day. Nayeon and Momo had left, but that day left a big impression for Mina. She kept on thinking whether it was true that she was indeed in love with Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung was her first ever friend in Seoul, so of course she treasured him so much. She changed a lot because she felt regretful for the way she had treated Chaeyoung. It was like she had completely forgotten Chaeyoung when she had been together with Mark.

She didn't want the same thing to ever repeat, that's why she decided to just keep a few close friends, but perhaps Nayeon and Momo were right. Perhaps, there was more to it than that. Perhaps, she was indeed in love with Chaeyoung. She decided to trust her friends, especially Nayeon, who was more experienced in Love. Nayeon and Jeongyeon had been together for 8 years, and still going strong. How romantic of them. Her phone buzzed.

"So, have you decided where to go?" The text read.

She face palmed. She completely forgot about this. She sighed. It seemed like she had not changed at all. She kept on forgetting things when it came to Chaeyoung. She thought and thought, where should they go? She rarely went out herself. She searched on the internet. She hummed.

"Kondae seemed fun." She pondered.

She quickly texted back, "Let's go around Kondae!"

"Ah, sure!" Chaeyoung texted back.

"Do you need me to pick you up? Or where do we meet up?" Chaeyoung asked.

Mina thought for a while.

"Maybe just meet up at Seoul Children's Grand Park at 11 AM sharp! Don't be late!"

Chaeyoung furrowed his eyebrows.

"Don't you think it's a little bit childish for us?" Chaeyoung asked.

Mina chortled.

"It's just the name! You'll see, it's a nice place, even for adults!" Mina replied back.

"By the way, do you know the way?" Mina asked.

"I can just use GPS." Chaeyoung replied back.

"Ah good!" Mina texted.

"Thank you, Mina! I'm looking forward to it!" Chaeyoung replied.

"I'm looking forward to it too, Chaeng! See you there!" Mina texted.

"See you!" Chaeyoung replied.








 

[11 AM at the Seoul Children's Grand Park]

Chaeyoung walked to the gate. There were many people there as well, especially parents with kids. Chaeyoung was starting to regret coming here, even though there were occasional adults and even couples, most of the visitors were still parents and kids.

"Boo!" Mina shouted, startling Chaeyoung in shock.

Mina laughed at Chaeyoung's reaction. Chaeyoung just smiled, showing his dimples.

"You came!" Chaeyoung beamed.

Mina just giggled.

"Let's go inside!" Mina chirped.

"Are you sure this isn't only for kids?" Chaeyoung skeptically asked.

Mina clicked her tounge.

"I told you it's not!" Mina chastised, grabbing Chaeyoung's hand, dragging him inside. Meanwhile, Chaeyoung's heart started to beat faster and his face turned red. Mina, on the other hand, was oblivious to her effect on Chaeyoung.

They walked inside, holding hands. Mina swung their connected hands like a happy child. Chaeyoung just stared at Mina. He was mesmerised by her beauty. The smile on her face made her 100 times more beautiful. It was as if she was glowing under the sunlight. After walking for some time, they came to a playground.

Chaeyoung quickly voiced his complain, "I knew it! I knew it was for kids, just look at the playground!"

Mina clicked his tounge.

"There's a zoo ahead!" Mina retorted.

"Really?" Chaeyoung asked in disbelief.

"Yes, now stop complaining!" Mina retorted.

"Wow! I can't believe there's a zoo in this park! The zoo is free, right? We don't have to pay extra fee, right?" Chaeyoung asked.

"Yes, it's free!" Mina replied.

"Wow, a free zoo! Amazing!" Chaeyoung chirped.

"You used to live here before! How come you've never been here?" Mina questioned.

Chaeyoung looked down.

"Mommy was always busy. She didn't have time to take me here!" Chaeyoung recalled, feeling gloomy as he recalled his mother.

"I-I'm sorry, Chaeng! I didn't mean it!" Mina apologized.

"It's ok!" Chaeyoung replied, showing his dimples.

Mina raised her index finger, wanting to poke Chaeyoung's dimple, but she was too short to reach it. She stood on her tippy toes and poked it.

"Wow, you're really tall now! You were shorter than me back then and is it just me, or your dimples are deeper than when you were younger!" Mina pointed out.

Chaeyoung chuckled.

"Of course! I've grown up, Mina! I'm not 12 anymore!" Chaeyoung retorted.

"Yeah, we've both grown up!" Mina remarked.