Acht (8)

Some Things Never Change

"Now, let's go to our final destination!" Mina chirped.

Chaeyoung hummed. They then arrived at Ilgamho. A huge lake in the heart of Konkuk. Becaue it was dark already, all the beautiful lights were reflected on the surface of the lake. Chaeyoung quickly readied his camera to take pictures. 

"Did you know, there's a belief, that if you circle the lake with the person you like for three times, you and that person will end up becoming a couple?" Mina informed.

Now, this peaked Chaeyoung's interest. He wasn't the one to believe in superstitious belief, but what if it's true? He didn't see anything wrong with trying. However, if he circled the lake with Mina, it would be obvious to Mina that he liked her and he wasn't ready to confess to Mina yet. What if Mina didn't like him back? That would definitely be the end to their friendship. He just saw Mina again after a long time. He didn't want to risk it.

Meanwhile, Mina thought back to Nayeon's words, that she was in love with Chaeyoung. She wasn't really sure herself, but if Nayeon was right, then she should circle the lake with Chaeyeong. Now that she thought about it, was Chaeyoung single, or not? She decided to ask him, who was currently zoning out.

"Yah, Chaeyoung! Why are you zoning out?" Mina asked.

"Oh, sorry!" Chaeyoung apologized, rubbing his nape.

"Now, who would you take to circle this lake with?" Mina asked.

"Or, you're possibly not single?" Mina added.

"Ah, I'm single!" Chaeyoung quickly remarked.

"And, I don't know who I should take with me." Chaeyoung murmured, face turning red.

"Why? You don't have anyone you like at the moment?" Mina asked.

Chaeyoung just looked down, didn't know how to answer, when the one he liked, was standing right in front of him. Mina, sensing that Chaeyoung didn't want to tell her, decided to pressure him. She wanted to know whether she and Chaeyoung had a chance or not.

"You promised me, that you would tell me, if you have a crush on someone!" Mina boomed.

Chaeyoung lifted his head and furrowed his eyebrows.

"When?" Chaeyoung questioned.

"6 years ago!" Mina answered.

"Gosh, Mina! It was so long ago!" Chaeyoung reasoned, nervousness could be heard in his tone.

"A promise is a promise! You shouldn't break your promise!" Mina debated.

"Well, you also broke your promise to mommy!" Chaeyoung retorted. He gasped as soon as he finished saying it.

"Chaengie..." Mina whimpered, looking down.

"M-mina, I'm sorry! I didn't mean it!" Chaeyoung apologized.

"It's okay! You're right after all!" Mina breathed, still looking down

Chaeyoung hugged her and she just stood there in his embrace, feeling as guilty as ever.

"I'm sorry, Mina! I shouldn't have said that!" Chaeyoung faltered.

Chaeyoung gently pushed Mina, Mina still bowed her head.

"I'll tell you who I like!" Chaeyoung announced.

"Who?" Mina asked, looking up to Chaeyoung, eager to hear the answer.

Chaeyoung smiled.

"She's very kind and pretty, at the same time very playful and funny." Chaeyoung described.

Mina grinned.

"What's her name?" Mina asked.

"Her name is..." Chaeyoung replied, giving Mina a suspense.

"Who? Who? Quickly tell me!" Mina eagerly questioned.

"Okay follow me!" Chaeyoung instructed.

"Why do I have to follow you? Just tell me right now!" Mina whined.

Chaeyoung didn't answer, instead he walked on. Mina could only groan, but followed him anyway. They ended up sitting on a bench.

"Now, tell me!" Mina urged.

"Listen carefully!" Chaeyoung instructed.

Chaeyoung tapped the bench, 'long-long, short-short, long-short, short-long'

"Done! I've already told you!" Chaeyoung chirped.

"What the heck? What was that? I don't understand anything!" Mina deadpanned.

"Well, I've already told you! It's not my problem, you don't understand!" Chaeyoung shrugged.

Mina groaned.

"Urgh! You !" Mina complained.

Chaeyoung just chuckled.

"Well, should we circle the lake?" Mina asked.

Chaeyoung quickly looked at Mina, eyes widened in shock. Mina blushed.

"I- I mean, umm, I-" Mina stuttered.

Chaeyoung looked down.

"Your boyfriend wouldn't be happy about it!" He breathed.

"I don't have a boyfriend!" Mina proclaimed.

Mina looked down and Chaeyoung glanced at Mina.

"I haven't had a boyfriend after Mark." She disclosed.

" I couldn't bring myself to." She added.

"Why?" Chaeyoung asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Could it be because of me?" Chaeyoung insinuated.

Chaeyoung's heart started to beat a little faster, hope was coursing through his body. He was hopeful that Mina might like him. 

"Mina, do you possibly like me?" Chaeyoung asked. He unconsciously held his breath, waiting for Mina's answer-

"I-" Mina stammered, looking at her thighs.

"I'm just gonna be honest, Chaeng. I was traumatized by my relationship with Mark. I was afraid that I would be so in love with my lover that I neglected my friends, that's why I couldn't bring myself to get into a relationship." Mina explained.

Chaeyoung exhaled and bowed his head, disappointed by Mina's answer.

"But you know what?" Mina piped, gaining Chaeyoung's attention.

"You're single! I'm single! We should just circle the lake! Who knows, maybe we are fated to be a couple!" Mina suggested.

"I-, you think so?" Chaeyoung asked, uncertain by Mina's suggestion.

Mina nodded. Chaeyoung smiled. 

"Okay then, if you say so!" Chaeyoung retorted.

Mina leaned closer to Chaeyoung to hold his hand and Chaeyoung's ears and face turned red at that instant. His heart started to beat faster plus he had a wide smile on his face. Good thing it was dark and Mina couldn't see how he looked right now. If not, Mina would know right away that he was head over heels for her. They both circled the lake three times in silence with intertwined hands and matching steps. Mina heaved a sigh.

"We've circled the lake three times!" Mina remarked.

Chaeyoung just hummed with a smile on his face. Mina gasped.

"What? What's wrong" Chaeyoung asked, concerned.

Mina palmed her forehead.

"What's wrong?" Chaeyoung urged.

"I just remembered, we shouldn't have done this!" Mina cried.

"What? Why?" Chaeyoung questioned, confused.

"Well, what about that girl you like?" Mina asked.

Chaeyoung just smiled.

"It's fine!" Chaeyoung said.

"It's not fine! What if the belief is true?" Mina argued.

"Don't worry about it, Mina!" Chaeyoung consoled.

"Anyway, it's getting late! Should we go home?" Chaeyoung changed the topic.

"Yeah, we definitely should!" Mina agreed.

"Should we have a sleepover?" Mina suggested.

"At your place?" Chaeyoung asked.

Mina nodded.

"Nah, I need to pack first!" Chaeyoung reasoned.

"You can borrow my clothes!" Mina joked, chortling.

"NO WAY!" Chaeyoung hollered.

"I'M NOT WEARING GIRLS' CLOTHES!" He added.

"Besides, it wouldn't fit me!" He grumbled.

Mina just laughed her heart out.

"Relax, Chaeng! I'm just kidding!" Mina retorted.

"But we should have a sleepover, you know, just like old times!" Mina added.

"What do you say?" Mina asked.

Chaeyoung smiled.

"I would love it, Mina!" He breathed.