Dreißig (30)

Some Things Never Change

"Chaengie?" Mina urged.

Chaeyoung bowed to avoid eye contact with Mina. He rubbed his face with his both hands as he thought about what to answer.

"Changie! I'm your girlfriend, I deserve to know." Mina whined.

Chaeyoung sighed.

"Mina...." Chaeyoung trailed, finally facing Mina.

"The truth is, I rented a new apartment. I got it a week ago. While you were practicing with Jimin after your classes to prepare for the performance, I moved my stuffs little by little. So, yesterday I went to my apartment and I'm gonna live there from now on. I'm not gonna live with you anymore." 

Mina's jaw dropped. Her eyes started to water as she frowned.

"Why?" She whimpered.

Chaeyoung avoided eye contact again.

"I'll still be here for you. I'm not leaving you." Chaeyoung retorted, still not making eye contact with Mina.

"Why don't you want to live with me?" Mina cried.

Chaeyoung sighed.

"I wanna live on my own, Mina." Chaeyoung stated.

"Who's gonna cuddle me to sleep now?" Mina asked.

"You're an adult already, you should be able to sleep on your own." Chaeyoung said, looking straight into Mina's eyes.

Mina pouted.

"But you're my boyfriend." Mina whined.

"Exactly, we're not married." Chaeyoung reasoned.

"Then, let's get married, I'm ready." Mina joked, sticking her hand out, as if expecting a ring.

Chaeyoung widened his eyes. 

"W-what?" Chaeyoung stuttered.

Mina giggled.

"I'm just kidding, Chaengie." Mina giggled.

Chaeyoung released the breath, he unconsciously held in relief.

"Don't joke around like that." He silently muttered.

"But it could be for real if you want. I don't see why not. We're both legal age." Mina shrugged.

Mina's statement made Chaeyoung upset. He furrowed his eyebrows as he thought deeply. Mina obviously didn't take marriage seriously at all. Mina didn't understand the weight of a marriage, just like she wasn't taking their relationship seriously. Chaeyoung sighed.

'Mina, you're like a rose, so beautiful, yet full of thorns.' Chaeyoung thought.

"Anyway, then can I please come to your apartment?" Mina chirped, flashing her puppy eyes.

Chaeyoung panicked. He didn't want Mina to come, because Mina would surely come and find him in his condo after the breakup and he didn't want that. What was he supposed to do now?

"Chaengie." Mina whined, while pouting.

'' Chaeyoung cursed.

Mina just knew his weakness.

"Are you really not gonna let your girlfriend come to your condo?" Mina holllered.

Chaeyoung hated this. He wanted to break up with Mina already, but he couldn't because he didn't want her to not be able to concentrate on her exams and fail them. A light bulb came to his head.

"Mina, don't you have exams next week?" Chaeyoung asked. "Study hard, Mina! I don't want you to fail your exams. I will be studying too."

Mina pouted.

"I will study tomorrow." She murmured.

"Please, let me see your condo today. I promise, I will study starting tomorrow." Mina pleaded while puffing her cheeks.

Chaeyoung sighed. How could he say no to that?

 

 


When Mina and Chaeyoung arrived at his apartment. His place was still so messy and kind of dirty. Chaeyoung chuckled dryly.

"I haven't had time to clean it yet." Chaeyoung explained in embarrassment.

Mina smiled.

"Then, let's clean it together." Mina chirped.

"No, Mina. It's ok, I'll clean it myself!" Chaeyoung rejected.

Mina being stubborn, went to grab a cloth to clean. They cleaned all the furniture, the wall, the kitchen, Chaeyoung's room and the bathroom and also, helping Chaeyoung arange all his stuffs and decorate his place. After they finished, Mina lied down on the couch, trying to catch her breath.

"I told you to just leave it to me." Chaeyoung commented.

Mina giggled.

"I think, it's fun! Reminds me of the old days." Mina replied. "Ah..., I miss this. I haven't done chores in a very long time."

Chaeyoung smiled.

"Are you hungry? I will cook now. What do you want to eat?" Chaeyoung asked.

Mina then sat up excitedly.

"Ooh, can I help?" She asked with her sparkling eyes.

"Are you not tired?" Chaeyoung asked.

Mina shook her head frantically.

"Alright then." Chaeyoung replied.

He then went to the kitchen, with Mina trailing behind. He opened the refrigerator, but there was only alcohol. He forgot he hadn't gone to the grocery store. He closed it again,

"Uhm, Mina. I forgot to buy the ingredients." Chaeyoung explained in embarasment, scratching his head.

"Ooh, then let's go to the grocery store!" Mina chirped.

 

 

 

[At the grocery store]

"So, what do you want to eat Mina?" Chaeyoung asked, as he pushed the cart around.

Mina thought for awhile.

"Oooh, what about omurice? I'm craving for it and for the ketchup, can you please use heinz ketchup! It tastes way better!" Mina chirped.

"I don't have leftover rice, though." Chaeyoung recalled.

Mina pouted.

"We can also eat in a restaurant if you want." Chaeyoung suggested.

"But I wanna cook..." She trailed.

"Maybe, next time you'll teach me how to cook omurice? Cuz I'm really craving for it right now!" Mina suggested. "Promise me, Chaengie! Next time, you will teach me how to cook omurice!"

Chaeyoung gulped and kept his peace, because there was most likely no next time.

"Then, do we leave to the restaurant, now?" Mina asked.

"Oh, I really don't have anything back at my condo, so I will just buy some meat, eggs, vegetables and rice. Maybe also some snacks and instant noodles." Chaeyoung replied.

"Ok, I'll help you!" Mina chirped.

They ended up buying all the things they needed, then they headed to the restaurant that has omurice. After finding a seat in the restaurant. They both ordered omurice. Mina wanted to drink tea, while Chaeyoung strawberry juice.

"Finally, we have our first date." Mina chirped.

'And last' Chaeyoung thought sadly.

"Chaengie, can I sleep over?" Mina asked.

"You don't bring your clothes!" Chaeyoung pointed out.

"I can ask the maids!" Mina reminded.

Chaeyoung sighed.

"Ok, but tomorrow, you will go back home and focus on studying, alright! I don't want you to fail your exams!" Chaeyoung nagged.

Mina saluted playfully.

"Aye, aye captain!" Mina joked.

Their food arrived and they began to eat them in silence. Chaeyoung ended up paying. After that, they headed back to their car. Chaeyoung started the engine. Just before he was about to drive, Mina got an idea.

"Ooh, Chaengie! We can still live together! I can also move in to your apartment!" 

Chaeyoung gulped.

"Mina, don't be ridiculous, my condo is too small and you saw my bed, it's a single bed." Chaeyoung made excuses.

"We can get a new condo, that's way bigger, or we can use the condo you have, but buy a queen-sized bed. I don't think it's impossible for us to live together." Mina argued. "Ooh, this will be fun! Chaengie, we'll be like married couple. Doing chores together, cooking together! It'll be fun! I will move in after the exam, ok?" 

Chaeyoung heart ached. Mina kept joking about getting married and he hated it because he knew, they would not end up together. 

'Beautiful yet full of thorns.' 

​​