Sechszehn (16)

Some Things Never Change

Mina stirred awake. She sat up, still jaded and dazed. That was when what happened before she slept, hit her. Her first instinct was to run and check if Chaeyoung was still here and was glad to discover Chaeyoung was eating dinner. She took a long breath and exhaled.

Chaeyoung, who noticed Mina, quickly asked her to eat dinner since it was late. Mina grew silent, she looked down. Chaeyoung might still be mad at her. She ruined his painting after all. Chaeyoung quickly ate one last bite before going to Mina, he gently pulled her hand and made her sit. Mina still looked down.

"Mina, you don't need to feel bad anymore. Actually, the painting now looks better than what I had imagined. I'll show you! Come!" Chaeyoung cooed, gently holding her hand, leading her to his room.

Chaeyoung quickly showed the painting to Mina and Mina was beyond amazed. The painting was so beautiful and detailed. It brought a smile on her face. She trailed the tip of her fingers on the dry painting. She started searching for the flaw but there was none. Chaeyoung, sensing her confusion, pointed at the flaw, which now blended well with the rest of the painting.

"The flaw doesn't bother the painting, does it?" Chaeyoung beamed.

"Y-yeah" she responded.

"By the way, Chaeng. This is really beautiful!" Mina complimented, still couldn't take her eyes off the painting.

"Thanks, Minari!" Chaeyoung chirped.

"Now, you don't need to feel bad anymore, okay? You didn't ruin it! You made it more beautiful!" Chaeyoung assured.

Mina smiled.

"I wanna apologize again! I shouldn't have overreacted and made you scared. I'm sorry, Minari!" Chaeyoung apologized.

"No, you don't need to apologize! I almost ruined your painting! I'm the one, who needs to apologize!" Mina argued.

"Okay, both of us are at fault! How about that?" Chaeyoung retorted.

Mina hummed.

"Let's go! You need to eat dinner! Let me feed you! I wanna make it up to you for shouting at you!" Chaeyoung chirped.

"W-what? I can eat by myself and I-" She stuttered. She was cut off by her own scream because Chaeyoung had lifted her up, bridal style.

"Chaengie, put me down!" She whined, thrashing her legs here and there.

"No! And stop moving! I might drop you!" Chaeyoung objected. Mina quickly clinged to Chaeyoung and calmed down, afraid of falling down. Chaeyoung brought him safely to the dining table and as promised she also fed Mina, spoiling her for the night. Mina was hesitant at first but eventually went along with it. After awhile, Mina finally finished her meal.

"Done!" Chaeyoung chirped.

"So, Mina, I wanna review some lessons before I sleep, so I'll head to my room now. You should, too!" He excused himself. Before he could leave, Mina held his hand.

"Chaeng, before you go to your room, can you promise me one thing?" Mina asked.

"Promise you what?" Chaeyoung asked.

"Chaeyoung, promise me that you will never leave me again! No matter the circumstances! Can you promise me that?" Mina breathed.

Chaeyoung was taken aback.

"Why do you think I would ever leave you?" He questioned.

"Just promise me that, please!" Mina pleaded.

"Mina, when my father forcefully brought me to Busan. I thought I wouldn't be able to see you ever again, but after 6 years, we eventually met again. You don't know how happy I felt when I saw you on Mommy's graveyard!" Chaeyoung explained.

"I would be foolish to leave you again!" He added.

"Okay, then promise me! Promise me, you'll never leave me! No matter what!" Mina intoned.

Chaeyoung smiled.

"I promised." He breathed.

"I'll go to my room now! Good night Minari!" He greeted. He kissed her crown before heading to his room.

"Wait, Chaeng!" Mina shrieked.

"Yes?" He asked.

"I forgot to tell you that Nayeon and Momo unnie are coming to sleepover this weekend." Mina explained.

"Ah! Your best friends! I still don't quite remember who they are!" Chaeyoung remarked.

"Will you be fine with it?" Mina questioned.

"This is your house, Mina! You don't need to ask for my permission!" Chaeyoung pointed out.

"But you live here too!" She argued.

"I'm fine with it, don't worry! Are YOU fine with it? Do your friends know, we live together?" Chaeyoung asked.

"They know. I already told them." Mina replied.

"If you're okay with it, then I'm okay with it as well." Chaeyoung assured.










 

Friday came fast, Mina had ordered her workers to put extra bed in her room, even though her bed actually fit 3 people, still she thought of more space for Nayeon and Momo. Nayeon and Momo came in the evening as promised. The workers had prepared dinner for the 4 of them.

"Hi Mina! And CHAEYOUNG!" Nayeon chirped, as soon as she arrived. Nayeon dropped her bag and dashed to Chaeyoung, wanting to squeeze his cheeks and Chaeyoung, who finally recognized Nayeon as the girl who kept on pinching his cheeks years ago, widened his eyes. He ran to his room, closing it shut to prevent Nayeon from getting in. He was not as chubby as before but his baby fat was still there. Mina and Momo face palmed.

"Stop it, Unnie! You're scaring him!" Mina reprimanded.

"Mina, did you even see him? He was still as cute as ever! If he wasn't so tall, I would think, he never grew up!" Nayeon shrilled in her high-pitched voice.

Mina sighed.

"Let's just eat dinner together! Unnie! Promise me you won't pinch his cheeks!" Mina growled, glaring at Nayeon.

"I can't promise anything!" Nayeon retorted.

"Unnie!" Mina whined.

Nayeon sighed.

"Fine!" She relented.

Mina went to knock on Chaeyoung's door.

"Chaeng, Nayeon Unnie promised not to pinch your cheeks! Come, Let's eat!" Mina called.

Chaeyoung reluctantly opened the door and they headed to the dining table. Mina and Chaeyoung sat next to each other, while Nayeon and Momo were sitting across Michaeng.

"So, Chaeng, across you is Nayeon Unnie and to her right is Momo Unnie!" Mina introduced. Momo bowed a little when Mina mentioned her.

"I think, I remember now!" Chaeyoung retorted.

"Especially me, right? The most beautiful cheerleader at Jamsil middle!" Nayeon bragged, flicking her hair.

Momo facepalmed.

"Pretty sure, it's because you kept on pinching his cheeks!" Momo retorted.

"Yah!" Nayeon whined.

Momo stuck her tongue out.

"Let's eat!" Mina urged and they started to dig in.

Nayeon, being the most talkative, began talking about variety of things, including about her boyfriend Jeongyeon. The rest of the table was just listening to her.

"So, anyway, Mina, anything new?" Nayeon asked, after realizing she was the only one talking.

"I now practice ballet with Jimin oppa every morning!" Mina nonchalantly said.

Momo widened her eyes.

"I mean, you guys share the same dancing style, but how did you even get to know him?" Momo asked.

Mina began to tell her story. She would occasionally blush and smile like an idiot in between. Chaeyoung was not liking this at all. He quickly finished his food.

"Guys, I've finished my food! I'll head to bed earlier! You guys have a wonderful night!" Chaeyoung excused himself then went to his room, frown was visible on his face.

Nayeon locked eyes with Momo, as if asking, what was wrong with Chaeyoung. Momo just shrugged, equally confused.