Zweiunddreißig (32)

Some Things Never Change

The next day, Chaeyoung decided to visit his grandparents (Chaeyoung's father's parents) and of course Mina tagged along. Chaeyoung's grandparents also lived in a huge mansion in Busan. They warmly greeted Chaeyoung and Mina when they came.

"Oh, Chaengie! We've missed you!" His Grandma remarked. Chaeyoung quickly gave her a hug.

"I've missed you too, Grandma!" Chaeyoung murmured.

Chaeyoung's Grandpa cleared his throat.

"What about me?" His Grandpa playfully asked.

Chaeyoung then went to his Grandpa and gave him a hug.

"I've missed you too, Grandpa!" Chaeyoung breathed.

After a while, they let go of each other. Chaeyoung's Grandpa's gaze fell on Mina.

"Is this Myoui Mina, the heiress of the Myoui's corp.?" Chaeyoung's Grandpa's asked.

Mina just shyly nodded.

Chayoung's Grandpa's offered his hand for a handshake.

"Pleasure to meet you. I'm the previous CEO of the Son's corp, Though I have retired now and my son is now the CEO." Chaeyoung's Grandpa introduced himself.

Mina shook the hand.

"-And Chaeyoung will be the future CEO once my son retires." He continued as he looked fondly at Chaeyoung.

They then let go of the handshake.

"Enough about business!" Chaeyoung's Grandma interrupted, glaring at her husband.

"Chaengie, would you like me to make you strawberry pancake? And what about you, Mina, would you like something?" Chaeyoung's Grandma asked.

"Yes, please, Grandma." Chaeyoung sweetly answered.

"Uhm, then I'll have some as well. Thank you very much." Mina sweetly said.

Chaeyoung's Grandma then disappeared into the kitchen. Chaeyoung's Grandpa then invited them to the living room.

 

 

"So, I heard from your father that both of you are dating, Is it true?" Chaeyoung's Grandpa asked.

Chaeyoung stiffened at the question. He didn't know what to answer. Technically yes, they were still dating, but tthey were going to break up soon. Mina waited for Chaeyoung to answer because it seemed like the question was directed to him, but he never did and he looked so uneasy. Mina just shrugged it off then answered for him.

"Yes, it's true." Mina confirmed.

Chaeyoung's Grandpa guffawed in glee.

"Oh, you both will be such power couple. Both are heirs to a huge company, especially the Myoui's corp. I-" Chaeyoung's Grandpa rambled. He cleared his throat once he realized that he sounded like he only cared about their relationship because of their wealth.

"I mean, of course. Chaeyoung has been in love with you for a long time too and I'm happy that finally he gets to be your boyfriend."Chaeyoung's Grandpa corrected himself.

Mina blushed a bit and her heart felt warm. Yesterday, Chaeyoung's dad said the same thing, that Chaeyoung had been in love with her for a long time. Mina looked warmly at Chaeyoung. It felt nice to be loved by someone and Mina was glad that she chose Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung deserved to be happy especially after waiting for it for years.

"Here comes the strawberry pancake!" Chaeyoung's Grandma sang.

Chaeyoung smiled widely, showing his dimples. His Grandma's strawberry pancake is out of this world. Chaeyoung started eating it right away once it was placed in front him. Mina started eating too.

"Uhhm, it's delicious!" Mina complimented.

"I'm glad you lke it, Mina!" Chaeyoung's Grandma beamed.

"Where's mine?" Chaeyoung's Grandpa joked.

Chaeyoung's Grandma clicked her tongue. 

"You're not getting any! Unless you want to go to the hospital again!" Chaeyoung's Grandma snapped.

Chaeyoung's Grandpa pouted.

"I hate being old sometimes." Chaeyoung's Grandpa complained and they all laughed heartily.

While eating, Mina's eyes wondered around and saw cute little animal dolls on display.

"Are those bought or knitted with hands?" Mina asked as she pointed at the dolls.

"Oh, I knitted it myself, you know, just a hobby in my free time." Chaeyoung's Grandma chuckled.

Mina gasped.

"No way! I'm into knitting too! I've never knitted stuffed animals though!" Mina responded.

"We can do it together after you finish your pancake if you want." Chaeyoung's Grandma suggestd.

Mina bobbed her head and started eating faster because of how excited she was.

"And I'm ready to beat Chaengie at chess!" Chaeyoung's Grandpa joked.

"I beat you last time!" Chaeyoung defended himself.

"Oh, but not this time!" Chaeyoung's Grandpa retorted.

"We'll see." Chaeyoung shrugged.

After they finshed their pancake, Mina went with Chaeyoung's Grandma to knit together and Chaeyoung and his Grandpa started playing chess. True to Chaeyoung's Grandpa's words. Chaeyoung was defeated. Chaeyoung groaned. Chaeyoung's Grandpa chuckled and playfully stuck out his tongue.

"You're too predictable." He chuckled.

After his laughter died down. He cleared his throat.

"Why didn't you answer when I asked you, if you're dating Mina?" Chaeyoung's Grandpa asked. "You looked very uneasy, so I thought maybe a quarrell, but Mina looked fine. Tell me, what's the problem?"

Chaeyoung hesitated before sighing. In the end, he explained everything to his Grandpa. 

"Hmm..., I see it more as Mina really doesn't know that you felt that way and what you should be doing is communicate to her honestly, so she can change, instead of breaking up with her." Chaeyoung's Grandpa commented.

"But she likes Jimin, Grandpa. She doesn't love me." Chaeyoung argued.

"Yet she said yes, when you asked her out?" Chaeyoung's Grandpa rebutted,

"She doesn't want to hurt me and she feels guilty for not sticking up by me in the past." Chaeyoung explained.

Chaeyoung's Grandpa sighed.

"It's so complicated these days. I remember back in the days. Our parents introduced us to each other and we got married, haha." Chaeyoung's Grandpa reminisced.

"That's really how you met Grandma?" Chaeyoung gasped.

Chaeyoung's Grandpa nodded his head. 

"Think things through again. Don't regret your decision!" Chaeyoung's Grandpa adviced. Then, they played a couple of rounds of chess until they got bored and Chaeyoung's Grandpa started napping, while Chaeyoung was waiting for Mina, while reading on his phone.

After what felt like eternity, Mina came to Chaeyoung with a huge smile on her face carrying a plastic bag. They bid goodbye to Chaeyoung's grandparents and went back home. That night in their room, Mina surprised Chaeyoung with a cub stuffed doll and penguin stuffed doll.

"Because you look like a tiger cub and I look like a penguin. This symbolizes us and I purposefully made the left hand of the cub and the right hand of the penguin connected, symbolizing that our love will last forever." Mina explained.

Chaeyoung bursted into tears right there and then. His heart ached as he thought about how that was impossible, but Mina mistook it as Chaeyoung felt touched and just hugged him tightly with a huge smile on her face.