Zweiundzwanzig (22)

Some Things Never Change

Jimin waited for Mina at the lobby of their Uni. Mina and her friends appeared not long after. Jimin beamed a smile at Mina. Mina returned a shy smile.

"Oh hey guys." Jimin greeted all the girls.

"Ready?" Jimin asked Mina.

Mina nodded. Nayeon and Momo, who were beside Mina, furrowed their eyebrows.

"Oh, uhm, I'm going to go to the mall with Jimin." Mina shyly informed her friends.

"Just the two of you?" Nayeon asked, confused.

Mina shyly nodded. Nayeon widened her eyes.

"There's no way!" Nayeon exclaimed. "We're tagging along!"

"Yeah, it'll be fun." Jimin said, not wanting to offend the girls, but deep inside, he wanted to have alone time with Mina.

"Don't you have a date with Jeongyeon?" Momo asked Nayeon.

"Oh yeah..." Nayeon trailed in a small voice.

"I have to go and help out in my mom's shop as well." Momo muttered.

Jimin celebrated in his mind.

"Ok then. Have fun both of you." Nayeon half-heartedly said.

"Thanks, maybe next time guys." Jimin chirped.

They bid farewell to each other. Mina led Jimin to her car. They were walking side by side. Their hands were almost touching, yet no one dared to make a move to hold the other's hand.

They got into Mina's car, a red Tesla model S. Jimin marvelled at the car. Mina got into the driver's seat, while Jimin got into the passenger seat.

"This is such a cool car!" He exclaimed.

Mina giggled. She started the car.

"Any music request?" She asked.

He shrugged. She connected her phone to the speaker through the bluetooth and started choosing a song. She decided to play I Built a Friend by Alec Benjamin. Alec's sweet voice and the soft piano background started to surround the car. Mina then started driving.

"It's a nice song." Jimin commented.

"It's my comfort song." She hummed.

"Comfort song?" Jimin asked.

"I used to listen to it, whenever I missed my bestfriend, cause I relate to the song very well." Mina lamented.

"Who? Nayeon? Momo?" Jimin asked.

"Not them, but someone you don't know." Mina clarified.

"How do you relate to the song?" Jimin asked.

Mina sang along to the hook.

🎶 And we had so much fun together
We knew we'd be friends forever
And we had so much fun together
We had so much fun 🎶

"Just like the hook, me and him, we really had fun together. We just knew we'd be friends forever...." she trailed.

She sang the last 4 lines of the second verse.

🎶 Then I met this girl at graduation
And forget my oldest creation
And I guess I'll see him next vacation
Send my best, I send my best 🎶

"Just like the song, I met a guy and sort of forgot my bestfriend."

🎶 I came home to find him on the table
With a note, scribbled out in pencil
And he wrote, that he just wasn't stable all alone, all alone
Next to him, an empty glass of water
That he spilled, all over the body
That I built, it fizzled and it popped
And then it killed, and then it killed 🎶

"In the song, the robot friend committed suicide, but in my case, my bestfriend left. Only leaving me his sketchbook behind."

She finally sang the last chorus.

🎶 And we had so much fun together
We thought we'd be friends forever
And we had so much fun together
We had so much fun
I built a friend 🎶


"It was my biggest regret in life. I took him for granted." She explained, melancholy in her tone.

"Wow, that's sad. Why did he leave?" Jimin asked.

"He followed his father and moved to a different city." Mina answered.

"Have you got any news about him?" He asked.

"We met again, haha. He's studying in SNU now" Mina chirped.

"That's great then!" He exclaimed. "He must be smart!"

"He is, talented as well!" She chirped.

"In dancing?" Jimin asked, with hopeful eyes.

"Uhm, no, in drawing." Mina chuckled.

"Ah, I was almost eager to meet him." Jimin chuckled alongside her.

Mina and Jimin arrived not long after at the mall. They walked side by side to the theatre, their hands still awkwardly dangling next to each other. Funny for Mina, how much she despised a mall, yet since her crush was beside her, she felt giddy and excited.

When they arrived at the movie theatre, they picked a movie. They chose their seats and also bought some snacks. Jimin, being a gentleman, paid for them all. He earned the money from becoming a professor's assistant.

Inside the auditorium, they went to their seats. When the movie started, Mina was focusing on the movie. They shared their popcorn. Meanwhile, Jimin was also watching the movie, but he was trying to find a way to initiate some skinship.

In the middle of the movie, they had finished their popcorn. Jimin put the popcorn box on the floor. Mina put her hand on the divider and Jimin sneakily put his hand on top of it. Mina was startled. She averted her gaze at Jimin but it looked like he was focusing on the movie. Pink blush appeared on her cheeks and Jimin sneakily intertwined their fingers. Mina smiled wider. Their hands remained that way for the remainder of the movie.

After the movie ended, they decided to eat at a restaurant. Both of them were busy discussing about the movie. It was mostly Mina though, but Jimin chimed in as well. After that Jimin asked for the cheque and paid as well. They then walked back to Mina's car, this time Jimin didn't hesitate to intertwine their fingers and Mina was over the moon. His hand fit in hers like it's made just for her.

"So, did you enjoy today?" Jimin asked Mina, as they strolled back to Mina's car.

Mina shyly nodded.

"Thanks, Jimin. I really enjoyed it." Mina shyly answered.

"We should do this more often then." Jimin chuckled.

The beating in Mina's heart intensified. There would be a next time? Gosh, this was amazing. Mina couldn't wait for their next hangout? Or a... date?