Zweiundvierzig (42)

Some Things Never Change

"Sachiko, will you stop frowning please? I already have to deal with Mina! Not you too!" Mr. Myoui scolded as he drove.

Mrs. Myoui acted as if she didn't hear anything. Mr. Myoui sighed. They both then returned to the company. 

 


"Bruh, I feel like everyday you're not in the mood. What is it this time?" Nayeon asked.

Mina sighed.

"My father." Mina shortly answered.

Nayeon raised her eyebrow. Mina sighed again.

"I was sulking because mama wouldn't allow me to sleep with Chaeyoung and he scolded me for frowning. That's the first thing he said to me after years!" Mina complained.

Nayeon sighed.

"To be honest, Mina. It is kind of inappropriate. Your mother's right, but no comment on your father." Nayeon remarked.

Mina sighed.

 

 


After dismissal, Chaeyoung and Yeri picked Mina up and Mina was still sad.

"Don't be like this, Mina. You have to be cheerful. What about we go somewhere? The three of us?" Chaeyoung asked.

Mina's eyes sparkled.

"Arcade!" She shouted happily.

"Okidokie!" Chaeyoung answered jokingly.

 

 

 

It was the first time Yeri had ever been in an arcade. She was temporarily blinded by the neon lights.

"Let's go~" Mina excitedly gleed.

After buying token, Mina quickly dashed to play her favorite games. Chaeyoung just shook his head and smiled.

"Yes, 100 more tokens please." Chaeyoung gently said to the clerk.

After paying, Chaeyoung handed 50 tokens for Yeri.

"Here you go! Have fun!" Chaeyoung cooed.

"I-I've never been here before." Yeri sheepelishly said.

Chaeyoung chuckled.

"It's alright. I'll show you around." Chaeyoung replied.

"This is the, I don't know what it's called to be honest, mole-smashing game? Haha" Chaeyoung introduced. "Moles will appear and you will have to smash them with the hammer. Try it. Insert the tokens!" 

Yeri carefully inserted a token.

"Choose a location!" Chaeyoung gently instructed.

Yeri then chose the graveyard one.

A mole started to appear and Yeri smashed it. 

"Good job~" Chaeyoung complimented.

Yeri was doing well at first. After a while, Yeri was overwhelmed by the many moles.

"Why are there so many moles?" Yeri complained.

"I'll help you, ok?" Chaeyoung then smashed the moles with his barehands. They both laughed excitingly. Mina, who was playing streetfighter overheard them. She frowned and she lost for the very first time. She stalked over and clinged to Chaeyoung.

"Let's play the air hockey!" Mina urged.

"Come on, Yeri. This game is fun! It's played by two players. You watch first, ok?" Chaeyoung chirped. Yeri nodded.

"Yeah, Yeri. You definitely need to watch Chaengie getting beaten!" Mina giggled.

Yeri laughed

"Don't listen to her, Yeri. She's the one that's gonna lose." Chaeyoung retorted.

Mina scoffed. "We'll see."

Both Chaeyoung and Mina were doing well. At first Chaeyoung's score was leading but soon Mina began to take the lead and she eventually won. Mina laughed in glee and stuck her tongue out to Chaeyoung.

"I told you I would win!" Mina teased.

Yeri laughed her heart out. Chaeyoung sighed but in the end laughed.

"You wanna play, Yeri?" Chaeyoung asked.

"I-I'm not sure-" Yeri said.

"It's fine! Go and play with Mina!" Chaeyoung encouraged. "Take it easy, Mina!"

Mina nodded and smiled. After that the three of them played more games and had fun. After they had used all of their tokens, it was already 6 PM. Mina gasped when she looked at her watch.

"It's already so late!" Mina exclaimed. "I'm hungry!"

"Let's eat in a restaurant!" Chaeyoung suggested. So, they came to a restaurant to eat together.

In the middle of eating, Mina's phone rang. Mina instantly frowned. 

"Hello?" 

"Mina, where are you? Why aren't you home yet?" Mrs. Myoui asked.

"I'm eating with Chaeyoung and Yeri." Mina answered.

"Okay, then go home once you're done, ok?" Mrs. Myoui cooed.

"Yes, Mama." Mina answered. "We have to go home after we eat."

"Yeah, it's late!" Chaeyoung agreed.

 

 

 

 


After arriving home, they all went to their own rooms and washed up before going to sleep. Mina looked at her bed that was filled with stuffed dolls and sighed at the thought of sleeping alone. At least she had those stuffed dolls. She then laid on her bed when a  knock was heard so she went to open the door. She gasped.

"Mama?"

"Yes, honey. Can I sleep here?" Mrs. Myoui asked. Mrs. Myoui was still upset with her husband so, she didn't want to sleep with him.

"You'll really sleep here with me?" Mina asked, excited.

Mrs. Myoui chuckled. "Yes, sweetie."

Mina then hugged her mother tightly.

"It's the first time you've ever done this!" Mina exclaimed.

Mrs. Myoui felt her heart crack a little. Only now did she realize that they were too obsessed with their business that they had lost sight of why they built the business in the first place. Mrs. Myoui and Mr. Myoui were born into poor families and struggled a lot in their childhood, so they vowed when they had children one day, they didn't want their children to go through what they had to go through but they ended up neglecting their child.

"Let's go to bed, honey!" Mrs. Myoui softly cooed.

Mina excitedly went to her bed. Mrs. Myoui giggled then followed. Mrs. Myoui hugged Mina tightly, apologizing in her heart and Mina hugged her back, reminiscing this very moment.

 

 


The next morning, Mina and Mrs. Myoui were smiling brightly while Mr. Myoui was upset. Chaeyoung and Yeri were confused by the situation. They had breakfast as usual and then they went back to their own rooms to prepare to go to their own destinations, except for Mrs. Myoui who went to the living room and watched TV. Mr. Myoui, who was already dressed in formal clothes sighed again.

"Are you not going to prepare?" He asked, upset at Mrs. Myoui, who was still wearing pajamas.

Mrs. Myoui just turned a deaf ear.

"Alright, I'm sorry. Will you prepare now, please?" Mr. Myoui apologized.

Mrs. Myoui sighed but turned off the TV and went upstairs and Mrs. Myoui waited at the living room, reading the newspaper.