#AcrossParallelLines (JinJoo x Kkubi)

Another Night to Illuminate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Yujin! Don’t forget to bring your grandma’s favorite food later!”

A deep voice resounds from the kitchen, grabbing the attention of a girl with long, blue hair who is busy rearranging her backpack. Sticking her head just enough towards the hallway, the girl replied, “Okay, Mom! Don’t worry about it,” before turning her attention back towards her bag and nodding in satisfaction. Zipping the bag, she glanced at the vintage camera her grandma presented back when she is 15 years old. A crescent smile crept on her face as she picked up the square, viridian camera and sling it around her sharp shoulder.

Bidding her mom goodbye, she took her motorbike and sped off towards the nursing home that her grandma resides; the best facility in town for her grandma who needs constant attention from others. Her family is busy managing the fast-paced life and didn’t give them the mercy to take care of their dear grandma even though they really want to do so. However, grandma is cool about it and jokes about her mundane daily life and wants to at least spend her time around people her age.

“She just didn’t want to burden us all. Grandma really is wise. I want to become like her when I grow up one day,” the girl muttered while taking off her helmet, shaking her shoulder-length blue hair and running her finger through her silky hair to make herself look presentable in front of her grandma. Taking a peek at the side mirror, she tugged a smile that showcases her deep dimples before nodding at her reflection.

Taking a wide stride towards her grandma’s room on the upper floor, the girl makes sure to check on her reflection again before knocking on the door. When a soft voice hums an approval for her to enter, the blue-haired girl slides the door ajar and spreads her arms with her goofy grin.

“Grandma! Your favorite grandchild is here!”

“Oh, Yujinnie! Come, come. I was wondering what took you so long?”

The girl chortles at her grandma’s words before embracing the frail woman into a tight hug. She took a sniff of her grandma’s scent; a refreshing citrus scent greeted her sensory which makes Yujin feels better. Holding her grandma’s right arm while supporting the old lady’s back with her other free hand, Yujin guides her grandma to the bed before taking a seat beside the bed, pulling her backpack on her lap.

“Here, I brought your favorite macaroon! Mom and Mama said that they are sorry for not being able to visit though, an urgent meeting being held this morning dragging their schedule.”

“Oh, geez. They shouldn’t be bothered about it and just focus on their business. I’m doing fine in here, really.”

“Don’t say it like that, grandma. You know that we all love you, right?”

“She also told me that she loved me before disappearing into thin air.”

Tilting her head, Yujin blinked in confusion and muttered, “Is this about your high school sweetheart? What was her name again? Sa… Saku…”

“It’s Sakura, Miyawaki Sakura.”

Caressing the back of her grandma’s palm gently, Yujin carve a smile and replied, “Do you want to share with me about your high school life? We can talk about it over some macaroon and green tea?”

“I would love to. Remember that I told you about our confession under the blooming cherry blossom tree in our school in your last visit?”

“That was the most amazing scene I can ever imagine, grandma. You want to continue it now or you want me to go and grab some drink for you first?”

“I think it is better for us to have everything before our story started. Here, take this and buy something for you too.”

Chuckling at her grandma, Yujin shakes her head as she mentioned to her grandma that she is already 20 years old and has her own money. Shuffling to the lower floor and headed towards the nearby café, Yujin stumbled upon a baffled-looking old lady with big eyes seems lost in the nearby park. Noticing that this aged lady also wearing the same outfit as her grandma, Yujin approached the woman and offered her help, “Excuse me? Do you some help? I can guide you back to the nursing home, my grandma stays there too.”

For a moment, the old lady looks startled upon seeing Yujin, her wrinkly hands cupped Yujin’s face with beady eyes. Gulping hard, Yujin blinked a few times, trying to process what is this lady doing checking her face. She is aware that she inherits her beauty from her grandma who is rumored to be a dazzling existence in her youth and Yujin is proud of that. However, this is her first time dealing with an old lady who wears a nostalgic face while staring into the depth of her eyes.

“You just look like my first love, dear. A taller version if I might add. I thought I had gone through time-travel just now.”

Even though she is indeed a bit startled by the statement, Yujin didn’t have the heart to stop this lady who seemingly having a trip down in her memory lane. “That camera… I thought that we didn’t have it already in this era. Can I see it?” Nodded at the woman’s request, Yujin let her fumble around with the camera with a smile. She didn’t know the reasons behind her strangely familiar feels around this l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter