Chapter 28: The Smart

Once Upon A Time (Twice's Nayeon x You)

 

 


Y/N's POV

 


"Where did you come from?", Nayeon was on her phone when I went up the window.


"Why are you gonna ask when you knew who was with me?", how could I answer her like that. "If you really didn't know where I've been, then wouldn't you look out for me as what you're usually doing? If I went to work, would I arrive earlier?"


"Oofx.", Momo covered to stop herself from laughing.


"Yah! You did not have to be savage!"


"Yeah. You're right.", I sat on the floor. "Mina knows about me."


"What?!", the same time that Jeongyeon went back inside Momo's room. "What did Mina know?"

 


Their faces went near my face and their breathing could be felt by me. I'm suffocating cause I couldn't let out my own wind.

 


"Are we still going to act stupid about this?", I faced the wall instead.


"Yah! It's not that we are stupid but what do you mean by that?"


"She knows I'm a doll"

 

 

 

*FLASHBACK*

 

 


"I did not understand what you're talking about, Mina."


"Too bad. If you had all been honest to me, I would appreciate it more.", Mina laid herself in the grass. "But I couldn't blame all of you. It's not common to encounter such a fantasy."

 


Her eyes were asking me to lie down beside her so I slowly did. It's nice to talk to her but our conversation is getting more serious.

 


"Momo was carrying you the whole time. Tzuyu told me that she was curious about what's going on with the three. She even told me that she tried to peek a little before Nayeon was able to close the door. Momo has a new big dollhouse that was installed near the window that's facing in the backyard. If Momo's carrying you the whole time, and you are the largest doll among all, then that new dollhouse is meant for you. There's no doubt about that."


"That-"


"There was a short light that lightened a part of the backyard coming from Momo's room.", I didn't expect that Mina would talk for a long time. "If I could estimate the distance, it wasn't that far from the window. What's near the window is the dollhouse with Y/N as a doll inside, right?"


"Right.", the smart person that could make me admit unintentionally. "Ah! N-no."


"I was watching on my window for me to witness you coming out of Momo's window. I went outside immediately to meet you."


"That was-"


"Your facial features the first time we met when you served us our food. I could never be wrong to think that you looked like Nayeon unnie's doll. The behavior of the three that time was unusual also.", Mina's face lit up. "How could Nayeon unnie be stupid? She reasoned out that she slid on the comfort room's floor. I watched if there are traces of the soles of her shoes that slipped. There was nothing."

 


Finally, a moment of silence for both of us. If she knew there was something, then why did she keep reserved, unlike Momo?

 


"If they are incapable of telling me about it, I understand.", Mina nodded as she got up. "I am not telling anyone about you, but please tell me more about you."

 

 


*END OF FLASHBACK*

 

 


"I told you! Mina, the smart one would found out about this in a theoretical way! She's not simple-minded to found this out coincidentally!", the sweat finally came down from Jeongyeon's face.


"Unbelievable.", Nayeon and Momo were clapping with their mouths hanging open. "The smart Mina! Uri Mina!"


"Cause y'all the dumb ones.", I pointed out to Nayeon and Momo.


"What did you say?!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nayeon's POV

 


"Hello, Mina.", we are acting good in front of her cause she now knows about our secret.


"Is it just me or did the unnie line become sweeter to you?", Jihyo scratched her head for observing.


"Yah! Can't we just act sweet because we care for Mina so much?!", I bumped into Jihyo.


"See? They couldn't even act like that to me.",

 


Jihyo left the four of us alone out of frustration. Mina was looking at us like she was saying "Care to explain?".

 


"Mina-"


"Is it about the doll?", she continued knitting.


"Shhhh.", we placed our fingers on our lips and closed our eyes. "Speak silently!"


"What? Isn't my voice soft enough?", she pouted. "How dare you make me talk more inaudibly?"


"Mina, we know that you are the smartest one among us.", I started to make the conversation more productive. "Seriously, we need your wisdom to help us."


"Huh?"


"Nayeon needs to find out where Y/N came from.", Momo was pleading Mina. "Even Y/N does want to know about her existence."


"I've been waiting for this.", she finished knitting the new scarf.


"What?", we focused on her.


"What are you waiting for?", Mina walked towards her room. "I've waited for you to finally ask for my help."


"Aren't you going to ask something from us?"


"I'm doing this for myself."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"So, she only wakes up in midnights?", Mina was carrying the doll in the back.


"Yes."


"And on rainy days?"


"Yes."


"That .", Mina's lips curved. "No wonder she declined to go together with me that morning."


"Where are we even going, Nayeon?", Jeongyeon who was in the front seat was getting impatient. "We don't even have something, to begin with."


"Yeah. I can't figure it out with that simple tag.", Mina grimaced. "I love solving puzzles but didn't know Y/N's case would be this laborious."


"Yah! I don't even know where to go now.", I accidentally honked the car cause I'm irritated. "Even if I had to go in circles and to travel the whole of Korea, I will do it for her!"


"Wow!", Momo placed her chin on my seat. "That's what Heechul also told me."

 


Mina and Momo were teasing me from the back making me lose my focus. I like chasing my members but not now. Jeongyeon beside me wasn't saying anything. I know she disliked those words coming from me.

 


"What if she's from another world?", Jeongyeon was concentrating on the road also. "Would you still enter her world?"


"Yeah. Considering that what we have as leads, for now, weren't enough and that she's made out of fantasy, she could be from another world.", Momo lowered.


"Let's start from asking the gift shops where the wrapper and tag was bought.", Mina stated.


"That's a good idea!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"No good news at all.", Jeongyeon relayed her searches and Mina was also sorry.


"We cannot just give up now.", I glanced at Y/N who was carried by Momo. "We've come so far just to give up."


"It's near midnight.", Mina broke off our determination. "We should go find a hotel before she turns back."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Y/N's POV

 


"Where are we?", I woke up in an unfamiliar room. "Is this Mina's room this time?"


"Nope.", Mina smiled at me. "We are actually in another town. We are gathering some information about you."


"That's right! We are doing our best for you!", Momo lifted a fist. "Y/N fighting!"

 


Their trustworthy smile made me smile too. Nayeon and Jeongyeon couldn't be found anywhere in this room? Didn't they come? I don't know but that broke my heart. Maybe they grew tired of me. Maybe they got tired of running back and forth just to save me. After all, the two ones were the most affected. Momo doesn't really mind as long as she thinks that I am charming.

 


"Looking for the two?", Mina seemed like she was teasing me. "They're just outside. Talking about something for God knows what."


"Is that so?", I tried to shake off the feeling. "Now, what have you find out?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Nayeon's POV

 


Standing outside with the wind slapping our faces. The wind is trying hard to cool off our minds. Jeongyeon's hands were inside her pockets and so are mine.

 


"Remind me why we're here outside.", the wind kept on blowing her hair.


"I don't even know.", I'm lucky I tied my hair. "Mina is the smart one who could set this up."


"Yeah, right."

 


A moment of silence once again. Why did Mina send us out? She played rock, paper and scissors with us. She said that whoever wins will have to take Y/N with their rooms. We knew that she dictated what Momo should raise. Momo raised scissors, Jeongyeon picked paper. Now, she even locked the door making us go outside in boredom.

 


"Tell me the truth, Nayeon.", Jeongyeon's fists were tightly closed inside her pockets. "Do you have feelings for Y/N?