CHAPTER 16

10 THINGS TO REMEMBER [2YEON]

161f2e0618878f26848839585007.jpg

"I would have asked for your number, and I wouldn't have been able to wait 24 hours before calling you up and saying, 'Hey, how about – oh, how about some coffee or, you know, drinks or dinner or a movie... for as long as we both shall live?' "

-JOE FOX IN YOU'VE GOT MAIL

JEONGYEON'S POV

I asked Nayeon to have some rest today since we just finished exam but the truth was I wanted to have some time alone with her, without giving a care about anything else. 

Just me and her in our own world.

So I took her to the rooftop, this place is special to me. I used to stay here even before we started coming in together, this place has been my solace for the past three years. 

The first month that I've known her, I usually watch her from here. I was still trying to figure a way to ask her if I could drive her to school at that time.

If you stand in the right place, you'll see her coming in through that gate. She greets everyone with her gummy smile, a wide one that shows her bunny teeth, and unlike me who loves to sleep in, she loves morning. 

She's a morning person.

She usually carries her books on her right arm and on the left, she always has her lunch bag        

She usually carries her books on her right arm and on the left, she always has her lunch bag. She always stops by the old lady who cleans the pathway every morning, to say Hi, and to remind the ajhumma not to work her self too much, she still does, even now.

She's the epitome of warmth and kindness.

NY : "You know we're not supposed to be hanging in the rooftop on exam days."

JY : "Duh? Exams are over plus no one's here anymore, everyone left." I said as I took a sit on the empty bench facing the school's field. 

JY : "Sit here with me."

NY : "Aish arraso."

The vast sky and the perfect person next to me.

This will be the closest I'll ever get to heaven.

-

I had to keep my eyes close, I wanted to look at her more but it would probably be too obvious, and keeping my eyes closed was helping me calm my heart.

Her voice was enough, even with my eyes closed I could picture her beautiful face.

JY : "What do you plan after high school?" I said as I looked at her.

We continue to have this talk, she would definitely be a great doctor or an engineer perhaps but I guess she had set her plans a long time ago.

NY : "It didn't even cross my mind. Film making has been a dream of me since I was little and how about you?"

JY : "Me? I haven't figured out." 

I felt my heart skipped a beat I had to close my eyes again. 

NY : "Yoo Jeongyeon, you have less than a year. You should be taking this seriously. Aren't you the one inheriting your dad's restaurants?"

Can I tell her that the only plan I have was making sure she's happy?

-

She suddenly rests her head on the bench and closed her eyes. I was supposed to steal a glance, one glance and that's it, but I couldn't take my eyes off her after. How could I? One glance and I see my future with her flash in front of me

And a thought ponders in me. 

How come she always assumes that I'm talking about someone else and not her? 

What goes on in that big brain of yours Im Nayeon?

NY : "You haven't worked hard for it and you think it's not challenging since someone already laid a plan for you but once you work for it you'll know the difference."

JY : "So you think if I work for it, I might find fulfillment?"

NY : "Of course, that's why they say hard work pays off. If you really want it, you should work hard for it."

JY : "Does that mean if I work hard enough I'll get everything I want?"

NY : "Not everything.... But at least it'll give you a chance."

JY : "Then I'm okay, I'm fine knowing at some point I did get a chance."

For now, I'll settle with the chance I have.

NY : "You seem off the topic... What are you referring to?" 

It took me by surprise when she suddenly opened her eyes, I almost flinched from where I was sitting but I have to act cool. 

I can't let her see me flustered.

JY : "Uhm... What do you think?"

NY : "Nothing.."

JY : "Hahaha let's talk about it next time. Gaja, Director Im, it's getting late."

I said as I mess her hair once again. I couldn't say the words but for now, this will be my way of telling her...

I couldn't say the words but for now, this will be my way of telling her

I like you, I love youI'm deeply, madly in love with you, Im Nayeon.

-

I took her home, and this afternoon was definitely different from any other day. My mind and heart were full of thoughts of her, and if this means I'm drowning, I would dive right into her.

And I wanted to tell her...

How she filled this emptiness in me.

How she gave me a purpose.

How she made life worth waking up to. 

How she became the solace to my world full of chaos. 

There's a lot I wanted to tell her, to apologize and to thank her but for now, I'll just wait for the right time for those words.

-

And if there's a question that I'm certain of the answer it would be,

If Love was the answer to What?

Im Nayeon will always be my answer to Who...

Im Nayeon will always be my answer to Who        

---