a cold exterior pt 10

My wish is Sowon

Sowon paused. Cared? Her confusion must have been showing on her face, since Eunha continued.

"We just finally became friends, and you want to push me away already?"

Something stung Sowon's chest at the label, right, they had officially become friends days ago. She closed her eyes, leaning back on the wall. Opening them resolutely, she hoped that her pain and struggle didn't show.

"I am, because there's no good in forcing me to graduate."

"If that's the case, and you want to stay in school still, I'd help you."

"That's not the case though."

Eunha bit her lip again, just what was making Sowon so cold? The change in her attitude, her emotions, did she really hate Eunha? That was impossible, not when she was so cute asking for Eunha to visit her more. Well, now she was asking to stay away, but still. Where is that honest Kim Sojung?

Bravely, Eunha reached out her hand, grabbing Sowon's fist that crumpled her test score. Covering that fist in both her hands, she kneeled down to get closer to Sowon who reacted, but didn't pull away in time as Eunha held on firmly.

"Tell me what's wrong. Why did you turn 180 from being happy about passing?"

"We're not friends."

That hurt. Eunha swallowed bitterly, looking down at their hands and looking back up, she held back her tears.

"I just want to help you."

Sowon was started to panic, but she didn't show it, Eunha was crying, she made her cry. Part of herself blamed herself for being so stupid, so cowardly, but part of her wanted to continue. Eunha shouldn't continue to skip class on her behalf. Opening to finally push Eunha away, a hiccup sounded and Sowon wass surprised. Her nervousness had accidentally caused hiccups to happen, and now she was frantically holding her breath to stop it. Eunha's tears momentarily stopped and Sowon could feel herself get relieved that Eunha wasn't crying anymore.

Breathing evenly, she sighed, reaching a hand to brush Eunha's tears away.

"I don't even matter that much to you, why do you cry?"

"You're being soft again, you crazy rollercoaster of emotions."

Sowon cracked a wry grin, still, seeing Eunha being annoyed with her was better than seeing Eunha be sad.

"I just...didn't like seeing you cry. I didn't mean it."

"Really?"

"Really. It's just, it's been so long. So long since someone other than my family has cried for me, and it hurts."

Eunha sniffled, roughly wiping her tears on the back of her sleeves.

"Are we still friends?"

"Do you want to be? I wouldn't want to be friends with me, I'm horrible."

"You're not horrible unnie."

Well, that might be true, but with Eunha being unfair with her, Sowon couldn't respond. Eunha wanted her to remain a good friend, no matter what. Then so be it. Placing a hand on Eunha's head, Sowon messed up her hair before making a cheeky grin.

"I was having a mood swing then, I'm sorry."

"You better be."

Uncrinkling her test paper, Sowon slid it back into the envelope, grabbed her bag and stood up.

"We have to go home."

Eunha stood up slowly, still reacting as if Sowon would bolt from her at any second.

"Relax, I said it was a mood swing."

"Walk with me then."

"Walk you home? I can do that."

"I didn't say-" Eunha paused and took a shuddering breath still. "Okay."

Perhaps she was just an innocent girl who had never been betrayed this openly, Sowon internally sighed. How would she get away from Eunha? Maybe she shouldn't come to school anymore. Catching Eunha looking at her, she gave a smile.

"You promised, I'm coming to see you whenever I can."

"Yes, my little friend."

"I'm not little."

"Fun sized."

"I'm not fun sized!"

"Short?"

"You're just tall!"

Eunha huffed an annoyed sigh but still reached back to pull on Sowon's sleeve, leading the right way home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Welcome back unnie, how'd your exam go?"

"I passed."

Yerin hummed, before turning back to Sowon in surprise.

"You what?!"

"I passed, here, look at it."

Sowon dropped the envelope on the table before going to her room.

"And with this, I'm not going to school anymore."

"What?! Unnie you just passed a test! You could at least graduate!"

"No, I'm not feeling it."

She lay down on her bed as Yerin continued to badger her into going to school, she tuned out of the lecture she was receving, and closed her eyes.

We won't meet again.

================

I swear, i read too much of this kind of stuff. also, happy ending coming soon for this mini series.