offering pt 2

My wish is Sowon

Sowon stared at Eunha, who was staring at the wall. There was nothing on that wall. No art pieces, no tapestry, not even a window. The wood was dark and smooth, but there was nothing there to stare at. Sowon walked around Eunha in a circle, Eunha didn't react, in fact, her eyes were only trained forwards, unfocused.

"What are you doing?"

Eunha blinked and looked up at Sowon, not responding. This girl was not mute, yet she refused to say anything when not demanded to. For instance, Sowon had to repeat twice before Eunha said her new name as Eunha. She didn't make a single noise aside from getting shocked from the temperature of the water that Sowon had dumped her in.

"Answer me. What are you doing?"

"Nothing."

"Clearly. Why?"

"Why not?"

Did they break her? Sowon frowned. Earlier in the bathroom, when she was cleaning Eunha, more like scrubbing all that dirt and rubbing gently at the crusted wounds on her back, she had taken note of every injury on her small body. Sighing, Sowon rubbed her face. There was a lingering scent of dried blood from the dead skin still stuck to Eunha's back, but she couldn't scrub it off in case it hadn't healed completely. Besides, if it was healed, it should come off on it's own.

"Take off your shirt."

Sowon had Eunha dressed in an oversized shirt and baggy pants, but they needed to be off in order for her to treat Eunha's wounds. Her back was the worst, most likely caused by whipping, the backs of her calves were injured in the same way, but her back suffered more as the skin there was much weaker.

"What was your life like before you got offered?"

Eunha didn't respond, only holding her shirt ot her chest as she shivered a little. Sowon looked around, it was dark and the full moon was shining through her open paper doors. She didn't feel the cold herself, having thick skin and abnormal abilities, but Eunha was human.

"Right, I'll go close the door, light a candle for me."

It wasn't that she really needed the candles to see, she could actually see pretty well in the dark, but Eunha, Eunha would get some warmth from the small flame and her eyes were just inferior to Sowon's. Sowon returned after closing several layers of doors, one might think that leaving so many doors open was probably a security risk, but with the village absolutely terrified of her, the chances of an assault were small enough for her to ignore it. Besides, she could fight them off easily.

Finding Eunha cradling the candle in her hands gently, Sowon wondered if Eunha was actually afraid of the dark. Pinching out the flame, she watched as Eunha's expression froze before she seemed to start to panic. Sowon sighed and lit the candle with another match. Did they also lock her in a dungeon of sorts? The mysteries around Eunha's origins were only being stopped by the fact that the girl wouldn't speak about it. She could order the human to speak, she probably would. But this was a matter that would leave a person very emotionally vulnerable. Forcing it out wasn't nice.

"Eunha."

Eunha looked up at Sowon, feeling better with the light in her hands.

"Are you afraid of the dark? Nod once if you are."

She nodded slowly, as if she was afraid that if it would cause her to be in trouble. Sowon just stood up and reached into the candle drawer, withdrawing a larger candle, she lit it up and set up on a desk in the middle of the room. The extra thick wick allowed for a larger flame to be lit, emitting a larger glow.

"Calm down. I won't hurt you."

Gently taking Eunha's candle, she placed it in a proper candle holder before giving it back to Eunha. When it melted, the wax could burn her, and that would be an extra injury she'd have to care for.

"I'm going to put ointment on your back, tell me if it hurts too much."

Eunha didn't move, only closing her eyes and holding the candle tightly. Applying the aloe salve she had smushed together as Eunha soaked for a little longer earlier, Sowon was careful not to press to hard against Eunha's back even though she really wanted to make sure it got into everything. Eunha didn't make any noises even though Sowon was certain that it must sting, even if only a little. The only indication of her pain was the weak tensing of muscles and the small shiver that seemed to grow stronger despite Eunha being much warmer than earlier.

"I'm done, come here."

Eunha turned around, hands crossed on her chest, following Sowon to the closet of the room. Sowon pulled out a thin rolled up mattress and laid it out along with a few pillows. Arranging it properly, Sowon pushed Eunha to lay on her front.

"Don't roll in your sleep okay?"

Eunha looked up at Sowon with her clear eyes, unable to comprehend what was happening.

"I'm telling you to sleep."

Eunha blinked.

"You know? Close your eyes? Count sheep? Though honestly, if you're counting the sheep jumping over the fences you should really be catching them rather than just counting them. Such a weird method of trying to sleep."

Sowon looked down at Eunha who had closed her eyes. As a vampire, she napped during the day, but she didn't need more than an hour to keep functioning, so long as she ate properly. In fact, Sowon had tried to go without sleep for as long as she could and found that her limit was around three weeks before her crankiness got annoying. She could tell Eunha was still awake by the sound of her breaths and her heartbeat. When a person sleeps, the heartrate is slowed down as it no longer needs as much oxygen to supply energy to the limbs, but Eunha's was still pumping as it has been since earlier.

"I hope you feel better tomorrow."

Sowon placed her hand on Eunha's head softly, patting gently.

"If you're afraid of telling me because the last guy told you that if I got mad at him, you'd die or something, it won't happen. It won't happen because I'm strong. So, if you can just let me help you, I'd appreciate it."

Looking down, Sowon could feel the small pulse through her hand even though it was Eunha's scalp she was touching. Slightly disgusted at her own instincts, she removed her hand and sat on them. Still, Eunha's breathing was finally slowing, her muscles relaxed and Sowon made sure that Eunha didn't suffocate herself on the pillow before leaving to hunt.

================

I'm still very in love with this vampire Sowon