offering pt 17

My wish is Sowon

Sowon was enjoying her free time by sitting on the roof, leaning back on her arms and feeling the breeze as it blew past. For a human, this would probably be a very chilling experience, but to a vampire, this temperature was about as normal as room temperature. Hearing a hesitant footstep, she peeked open one eye to look down into the courtyard. The only person here to make that footstep was of course Eunha.

"What is it?"

"N-nothing, just wondering where you went."

"Cool."

eunha backed away for a bit, returning to her exploration of Sowon's house, in the back there was a shed that had things that seemed unusual to be placed there, but perhaps they were placed there because Sowon didn't need them, the items being clothes and jewelry that likely belonged to the person who had kept this house before. Then the thought came to Eunha, how did Sowon obtain this house? Going by her word, Sowon never harmed a human, then that meant that she didn't kill the owner to get this house.

Perhaps it was offered to her? People had a weird tendency to try to please those in power ot receive benefits, but in Eunha's eyes, there were no benefits from Sowon, she seemed to truly only want a peaceful life. Then why do people keep giving Sowon girls as offerings if they get nothing in return? Perhaps it was to make sure that no one would ever get hurt, or at least that's what Eunha heard in the rumors. Then in this case, that meant that to the rest of the city, she was sacrificed to protect them for a good few years.

Also, judging by Yerin's age, she must have been either the last girl to be offered, or she had been offered when she was still very young.

"Your expression shows that you're thinking really hard. I could practically hear the gears turning in your head, ask me. I'm sure I can give you a satisfactory answer."

Sowon hopped down after taking a last breath of fresh air before returning to her new special training of not needing oxygen and stood next to Eunha who was staring into the small pond in the garden, there used to be fish in there, but neglect or hunger had caused them to go away.

"W-when was Yerin unnie given to you?"

"Hm? Like ten years ago, I don't know what they were thinking, leaving me with a child. If I remember correctly, her parents were very poor and they were struggling to get enough food."

That meant that they must have either had to give Yerin up to receive money, or purposely offered her to rid themselves of Yerin's living cost. A hand landed on Eunha's head, silencing her sad thoughts as it ruffled her hair softly.

"Hey, Yerin doesn't think of them anymore, the other girls ah I should say women, they've all grown up already, take care of each other really well. I'd even boast that the village there is the best family."

"But unnie isn't staying there with the- sorry I shouldn't ask."

Without removing her hand, Sowon just sighed and rubbed Eunha's head again.

"It's not like I don't want to be there, if I was there, then I probably wouldn't have to deal with the villagers giving me more. Not to mention if there was an invasion I could at least protect all of them. But I have to be here in the middle of my area."

"Area?"

Sowon began to explain to Eunha, how the secret government of vampires worked, how they maintained their territory borders and that the most dangerous ones were the roaming vampires who hated playing by the rules.

"Why can't you keep the girls here then?"

"Well, I tried to. But this house isn't big enough for all of them, and when the villagers saw them alive still, they started panicking. I'll never understand why they do things this way honestly."

Eunha agreed, everyone was pretty weird, but the way Sowon was reasoning everything out with her made her feel like it made sense to live the way she was. Then, what should she be living to do? Sowon hopped up to the roof again, this time looking down at the village.

"If they didn't freak out about seeing the girls alive again, I really wanted them to go home if they could."

It didn't really show on her face, but Eunha could feel that Sowon was a little saddened by that. There must have been some families who had offered girls out of fear or pressure by their neighbors and still loved their daughters. But the crazy misunderstandings keep them apart until eventually the pain for both sides of the family fade away with time.

There was no pain for Eunha however.

"What should I do?"

"That's what I've been asking you. What do you want to do?"

Eunha fiddled her fingers a little, the more she talked with Sowon, the more she understood what she was like.

"I want to know more about you."

Sowon blinked and sat down on the edge of the roof, her legs dangling over the edge as Eunha looked up at her.

"There's really nothing more to me than what you see."

"Oh."

She couldn't cover the disappointment in her voice and quickly covered in surprise. Sowon just raised an eyebrow before noticing that something was happening nearby that wasn't usual.

"Hold that thought, I think a fire started somewhere."

There was a billow of smoke, Sowon didn't need to smell the air to tell that it was from burning wood.

"Be a good girl and stay inside in the deepest room please."

Eunha hurried inside the house, only watching as Sowon hopped the fence easily and disappeared from view.

==============

I hope the crazy village burns mwahahah

everyone done preregister for superstar gfriend? I'm excited