The Talk

My Secret Identity

“Su Yeon,” Jae Bum said. “Hmm?” She answered with her head lying against his back. She was falling asleep from the long walk home. “What do you think the girls will do if I just walk home like this?” He asked her. She looked out into space and sighed. “They’ll probably kick you out of the house. But since we know you…” she said then thought for a bit. “Yeah, they’ll still probably kick you out. But I don’t know. You should do it. Just to see what they’d do.” She said. Jae Bum looked down then back up and sighed. “I don’t want to leave yet.” He said.

“Park… I guess I have to call you that. Since I don’t want to call you Jessica. Especially when you’re dressed like this.” She said. Jae Bum chuckled. “Okay, that’s fine.” He said. Su Yeon placed her head on his shoulder and sniffed a little.

“You… like Seo Hyun, huh?” She said. Jae Bum stopped walking for a minute, but then continued. He thought back to what Seo Hyun told him about her getting married and got quiet for a while. He looked down and sighed. “I did.” He told her. She scoffed. “What does that mean?” She asked. He chuckled a little and looked up at the sky.

“Well, I first came here for her.” He told her sadly. “So, she was the lucky one that made you change into a girl?” She asked. He chuckled. “I guess you can say that.” He said. “Then, what changed?”

“What do you mean?” He asked. “Well, you said you did like her. So, you don’t anymore?” She asked. He sighed. “Su Yeon,” he called her name. “Hmm?” She hummed in reply. “You remember that young boy the girls said you liked a lot back in middle school?”

“Yeah,” Su Yeon said with the side of her face against his shoulder. “Why did you like him so much? I mean, especially when he didn’t pay attention to you much.” He asked. Su Yeon lifted her face up a bit and sighed. “Sometimes Park, it doesn’t matter if the other person doesn’t feel the same way you do about them. It’s what you feel in your heart that really counts. And if you and that person are meant to be, God will find a way to let you two find each other again. And I believe he’ll do just that for me.” Su Yeon said with a satisfied smile. Jae Bum looked in front of him.

“What if, that person didn’t come out to be who he really was? Like, he was someone that just… I don’t know,”

“We’ll find each other. And even if things don’t work out. Even if we find each other through hatred, at least we found each other. We can just wait to work those things out, and then be together forever.” She told him. He smacked his lips. “It sounds so easy how you say it.” He told her. “It’s not. And life isn’t easy. But it’s what it is. You have to live through it.” She told him. He looked around and stopped his gaze on Su Yeon’s torn up knees.

“Why do you like Seo Hyun unnie?” Su Yeon asked him. Jae Bum stuttered to answer. “Uh,”

“I mean, I know she’s pretty. But, aren’t I attractive just like her?” She asked. Jae Bum chuckled a little. “Yah, what’s with that?” She asked punching him playfully on the arm. “No, it’s nothing bad. It’s just that. You’re like that type that is cute. And most guys don’t like cute girls.”

“Why?” Su Yeon asked curiously. “Because… guys still want to test their love life for a while, you can say. Some doesn’t want to get real and serious yet.” He told her. “So, dating cute girls like me will be saying that you’re getting real and serious?” She asked. He sighed. “I guess. I don’t know. Guys think differently. They don’t think the same like me.”

“Then, what do you think?” She asked waiting for his answer. He thought for a while and chuckled. “I’d rather not say.” He said looking down. She slapped his shoulder. “Why?” She asked. They both chuckled a little. “I don’t know. You’ll know when it comes.” He told her.

“When what comes?” She asked confused. “You’ll know one day.” He said. Su Yeon thought to herself for a while then placed her head on his shoulder again.

“Su Yeon ah,” Jae Bum called her name. “Hmm?” She hummed in reply. “What would you do if I go home like this? And show my true self to the girls?” He asked. “Didn’t we already get over this?” She asked. “Yeah… but I’m serious this time.” He told her.

“Don’t,” she said sadly. “What?” He asked. “Don’t do it.” Su Yeon repeated herself. “The girls will fall for you for sure if you do it. I don’t want them to.” She said. He chuckled. “Are you jealous? Maybe I should then, huh?” He said. She didn’t answer or make a noise. He noticed and quiet down then continued walking.

“Park,” Su Yeon said after a long while of silence with her eyes closed. “Yeah?” He answered. “Why… why did you kiss me, that other day?” She asked. Jae Bum froze shocked at her question. He coughed and took a deep breath.

“Uh, sorry about that. I was… I didn’t know what I was doing. My uh… my emotions just kind of took over me.” He told her. She opened her eyes and looked at the dark skies. “Can we…” before Su Yeon could finish her sentence, a taxi car came up behind them and horned them. They turned around and squint from the light blaring into their eyes. They both used their hand to cover their eyes, making Su Yeon come down from Jae Bum’s back. She held onto his shoulder for support, while both of them looked at the taxi.

“Need a lift?” The taxi driver asked. Jae Bum smiled. “Yes please,” he said then opened the door for Su Yeon to go in first. She looked at him sadly because she didn’t get to finish her sentence, but limped her way into the taxi. He came in after her, and then the taxi drove off. She leaned the other way, and looked out the window, as if Jae Bum wasn’t even in the car with her. He glanced her way and sat still, waiting for their destination.