Awkward Feeling

My Secret Identity

Su Yeon and Jae Bum sat on top of a tall building overlooking the city with a drink in their hand. “Wow.” Su Yeon said amazed. He glance at her and chuckled. “That’s what I said my first time here too.” He told her. She looked at him. “And when was that?” She asked him. “When my grandma didn’t pass away yet. About 6 years ago.” He said then took a deep breath.

“She used to live over here with my grandpa. But after she got diagnosed with Lung Cancer, she went through so much surgeries and hospitals, she got tired, and I guess just thought she should leave.” He told her looking down. She kept her stare on him. “Grandpa left the city to wherever, I don’t know. He never said anything. He just left us, just like that.” He said then looked at the city in front of him.

“I’m sorry.” She said placing her hand on top of his hand that was laid flat on the cemented ground. He looked at his hand then at her and stared at her with a serious expression on. Jae Bum leaned in slowly and gently kissed Su Yeon’s tender lips. She closed her eyes and kissed him back with a smile on her face.

Jae Bum backed off and looked into her opening eyes. She looked at him with love and confusion. He sighed and looked down then turned back forward, toward their view. “I’m sorry.” He told her. She quickly glanced at him then looked down and at their view quietly.

Jae Bum and Su Yeon got home late at night while the girls slept already. He laid in his bed facing the ceiling with an arm folded up and around his head as a pillow. He thought for a while then sighed and turned to his side. “Pabo. What were you doing?” He said to himself. He looked at his front door and got up then walked to his little desk. He his small lamp and looked at the pictures of him and Su Yeon on his desk. He looked at it and stared at it intently, confused at his actions.

The next morning, Jae Bum got up and walked to the bathroom with his girl self on. On the way, he met Su Yeon, who was coming out of her bedroom ready and set to go already. He yawned and stretched but then stopped when he saw her. She looked at him then looked down and walked off. He glanced at her and walked into the restroom.

“Yah, unnie, why are you acting so weird today?” Yuri asked Su Yeon at school. They were all sitting out in the quad enjoying the sun in their shorts and dress. Su Yeon, who was looking at Jae Bum talking to a girl, twitched and looked at Yuri and them. “Huh?” She said in a sudden. “What’s wrong?” Tae Yeon asked feeling her forehead. She looked down and then at the girls. “Oh, nothing... I’m just thinking.” She told them.

“About what?” Mi Young asked. “Your boyfriend?” Soo Young asked. Yuri gasped. “Wait! You have a boyfriend?” She asked. “Duh, didn’t you see them at the park the other day? That handsome guy?” Soo Young told them. “Aw, I missed it? What?” Tae Yeon asked.

“Yeah, they were so close. Huh Su Yeon unnie?” Soo Young said. Su Yeon looked at them and scoffed. “We were just walking around. Nothing serious.” She told them. “Yah, whatever.” Mi Young said. “Yeah, if Soo Young says so, you two must have been like who knows what.” Yuri said. “Wait, what’s his name?” Tae Yeon asked.  They all turned to Su Yeon who was glancing at Jae Bum who was walking in.

“Unnie, what was his name?” They asked. “Who’s name?” Jae Bum asked sitting by Yuri who was at the edge, across from Su Yeon again. He looked at Su Yeon then at everyone else and sighed.

“We’re talking about Su Yeon unnie’s boyfriend.” Soo Young said. “Yeah, the one that Soo Young saw with her at the Amusement Park the other day.” Mi Young said. “Yeah, Jun Su and I were too busy riding rides, so we didn’t see anything.” Tae Yeon said sadly. “Did you see her with anyone?” Yuri asked Jae Bum. He looked at Su Yeon then at everyone.

“Uh, uh...” he stuttered. “I don’t remember seeing her with any guys.” He lied to them. “Yah, stop lying.” Every one said then turned their attention to Su Yeon again.

“Yah, who is it?” They asked Su Yeon. “He must not be that important, because you’re not telling us.” Tae Yeon said looking away. “Yeah, you probably didn’t like him then.” Yuri said. Jae Bum looked at the girls then at Su Yeon and waited for what she had to say about that. “Uh,” Su Yeon stuttered.

“Jessica unnie!” Seo Hyun’s voice called Jae Bum. All the girls turned their way towards Seo Hyun who was walking towards them. He looked at her then at Su Yeon then back at Seo Hyun shocked. “Uh, oh, Seo Hyun ah.” He said. Su Yeon looked at him then at Seo Hyun jealously.

“Are you busy right now?” Seo Hyun asked him. She looked at everyone and smiled. “Hey chingus.” She said to the girls. The girls responded with a ‘hey’ or a wave.

“Let’s go study, how about that?” Seo Hyun asked. Jae Bum looked at her then at Su Yeon who just looked down at her fingers. Jae Bum sighed with a smile and got up. “Okay, see you girls.” He said then left with Seo Hyun. Su Yeon looked up at him madly.

“All right. We’ll go home without you.” Mi Young said. “Yeah, luckily, because Yuri’s driving.” Tae Yeon said. “Shut up. I can drive perfectly well.” Yuri said then they all left. Su Yeon watched until Jae Bum and Seo Hyun turned the corner. She got up madly and left the table.

“Yah, what’s wrong with her?” Soo Young asked. The girls looked at Su Yeon walking away confused. “What is wrong?” They all asked each other.

“Stupid jerk.” Su Yeon scoffed to herself madly. “You’d go with her? You’d choose her over me? You’d rather be with her? You like her that much? Well then, go be with her then.” She mumbled to herself. She looked around and waved her hand in front of her face to fan herself. “Aish, stupid me. Thinking that he’d like me? What a jerk I am.” She said again walking off campus.

Su Yeon continued walking away, not caring which direction she was going or who she saw. All she could think about was Jae Bum and Seo Hyun together.

“So, Jessica, do you have a boyfriend?” Seo Hyun asked Jae Bum in the library. They sat across from each other with books and snacks piled up between them. Jae Bum looked up at her. “Uh, no. I don’t have a-a boy-boyfriend. No.” He said then looked at her. “Do you?”

“Yeah. We’re getting married in two months!” Seo Hyun exclaimed. Jae Bum looked at her shocked. “Married?” He said frozen. “Yeah, he is such a perfect person. I love him so much. Oh! Can you make it too? I’ll give you an invitation next week. You can bring a friend.” She said. Jae Bum looked at her and smiled. “Yeah, I’ll see if I can make it. I think I’m pretty busy during that week.” He lied to her. He looked down at his hands sadly.