Chapter 1 - She’s a Shijimi...

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Semi’s POV

 

At Iwanishi’s apartment

 

“Semi, this is your target this time. The address of his apartment is written behind the photo.”

 

“Huh, apartment? I hate to have jobs in these apartment buildings, I have to hide my face from the securities.”

 

“Don’t complain, the reward for this mission is quite high. Just hide yourself properly from the cameras and you should be fine.”

 

“Crap…”

 

This is irritating, as much as I have confidence in my assassinations, I don’t trust my luck of not being caught on the security cameras.

 

“Good luck, Semi, you can do it.”

 

“Iwanishi, SHUT UP.”

 

I left Iwanishi’s apartment and head for my target’s apartment.

 

I waited till it was almost midnight before I entered the apartment. I wore a parka to protect myself from the cameras. I pressed on the doorbell of my target, when the door opened, I saw a dirty-looking old man.

 

“Who are you?” The man asked.

 

“I’m here to deliver drugs.” This was what Iwanishi asked me to say in order to get into his apartment.

 

“Come in, I’ll go take the money.” The man invited me in straightaway.

 

The moment the door closed behind me, I took out my knife in my pocket, and swiftly I moved to the back of the man and pointed my knife on his neck.

 

“AHH!! WAIT!!!” The man immediately pleaded me.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Don’t kill me!!! I’ll give you money!!! I HAVE A LOT OF MONEY!!!” The man was getting desperate.

 

“Sorry, but I have no interest in that.”

 

“IS IT TERAHARA WHO WANTED ME DEAD??? IF YES, PLEASE TELL HIM I’M SORRY!! I WILL STOP DEALING WITH DRUGS, PLEASE DON’T TAKE MY LIFE!!!”

 

“I don’t know him and I don’t care.” I cut deeply into the man’s throat and blood started splashing all over.

 

I went into the bathroom and washed away the blood stains on myself. As I was about to leave the apartment, I heard some noises.

 

“........ Wait…”

 

A female voice…?

 

I looked around the apartment but I couldn’t see anyone.

 

“...... Under… the… table…”

 

I heard that, and looked around before spotting a dining table, I squatted down and saw a lady being tied up and kept under the table.

 

Since she has saw what I have just did, I can’t let her stay alive anymore. I pushed away the chairs and pulled her out from under the table.

 

………..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

What’s this?!?!?!

 

I couldn’t see her well when she was under the table, but now that she’s under the light, I could see clearly the deep bruises all over her body.

 

Did that man I have just killed did this to her…?

 

“....... Thank you…”

 

………. What did she just said…?

 

I moved my eyes away from the bruises on her body, and looked at her face which is half-covered by her long hairs.

 

“Thank you… for killing that bastard…” She was smiling at me…!!!

 

“....................” I was speechless. I wanted to ask if her injuries were caused by the man, but on the other hand, why should I? She’ll be killed under my hands anyway.

 

“.......... Now I can die peacefully… You can take my life…”

 

…………….. She… wasn’t pleading me to save her…?

 

This is the first time. Someone is asking me to take their life instead of pleading me to spare them.

 

“............. I’ll make it fast then…” I pointed my blade on .

 

“......... Wait…”

 

………. So she is still going to plead me not to kill her…? I was kind of disappointed.

 

“Please… let me know your name before I die… I’ll bless you after I die…”

 

…………!!!!!! I frowned. What is she thinking?? Is she stupid??? Why does she want to bless a killer like me???

 

But I could see her eyes… It was pure… It was sincere…

 

I could feel her breathing… This familiar feel… What is it…?

 

“....... Semi…” My voice auto-reacted to her question.

 

“..... Semi…? Thank you… I’ll remember you…” She smiled and closed her eyes, waiting for me to kill her.

 

I was about to exert force on my blade…

 

………………. Wait... My hands……. are not moving as I wanted them to……

 

*PANTING*

 

……………. The lady is panting heavily……. This feeling……

 

“Shijimi…...?” I spoke that out of nowhere.

 

(Note: Shijimi means clams in Japanese)

 

“........ Shijimi…?” The lady opened her eyes and looked at me with a confused face.

 

! WHAT HAVE I JUST SAID?

 

“Nothing… I’ll make it fast…” I moved my blade back to her neck again.

 

………………….

 

.

 

I CAN’T.

 

MY HANDS AREN’T LISTENING TO ME.

 

Out of control, I moved my hands further down and cut the ropes that were binding this lady.

 

“........... Semi…?” The lady felt what I have just did and opened her eyes to look at me again.

 

“........... I……”

 

What should I say…? The way she breathes, it reminds me of clams… My weird of looking at clams bubbling in the water… I could sense… her intention of living…

 

“...............” The lady was not speaking anymore…

 

As I look at her… wait… her eyes are closed…!!!

 

“Hey! Shijimi!!” I tried to wake her up by shaking her body but she wasn't reacting to me!!

 

!!

 

My hands went to reach for her body and carried her up. I checked that no one is around before I carried her out of the apartment building.

 

Few hours later…

 

. What have I just done?

 

As I watched the lady who is currently lying on my bed. I couldn't understand why I saved her out of my initial intention.

 

I was supposed to kill her, yet I didn’t. On top of that, I even helped to clean her bad wounds.

 

Semi, if this act of yours get exposed, no one will be engaging you to kill again.

 

 

I can't explain why either, why I couldn't kill her.

 

In the underground society, I am a well-known cold-blooded killer who can kill anyone related to my target, for example, their families. I have even killed a few young children as well. But why… Why can't I kill this lady…?

 

“Shijimi…” I said that again as I watch her breathing in and out.

 

I found a lame excuse for myself.

 

I couldn't kill her because…

 

She’s a Shijimi…

 

My weird for clams…

 

She reminds me of them…

 

And I couldn’t take my eyes off her…

 

This is just like the exact same feeling I have whenever I  stare at clams bubbling in water...

 

“Ugh…”

 

Ah, she is waking up…! , what should I say…?

 

“........... Am I… already in heaven…?” She was saying that while looking at the ceiling.

 

…………. So she thought she is dead already…

 

“Unfortunately no, you are still alive.”

 

“......... AH!!” She finally realized I’m just beside her.

 

“......... Semi… right…? Didn’t you kill me??”

 

“......... I… wasn’t in killing mood, so I spared your life…”

 

Semi, what a lame excuse you have.

 

“........ Did you save me??”

 

“...............I guess so…”

 

“......... Semi… Thank you…” She was smiling at me again!

 

And… her pure-looking eyes…

 

“...... Don’t get happy yet, I’m the one who saved your life, I can take it away anytime.” I was pretending to be harsh and trying to hide my inability to kill her.

 

“That’s fine, as long as I don’t die in that bastard’s apartment…”

 

“...... Why are you being captured there?” I’ve been thinking about this since I brought her back.

 

“........ I’m not captured there. I was… sold by my parents to that bastard.”

 

“.........!!!” I was trying to hide my shocked emotions.

 

“......... Just for a small sum of money they sold their daughter. What a funny joke, right?”

 

“And… how long have you been there…?”

 

“Ten years…”

 

“TEN YEARS?!?!” I couldn’t hide my emotions anymore. She was been kept in that house for that long?!?!

 

“I’ve not been outside since I was sent to his house…”

 

“.................”

 

“That crazy bastard tortures me like hell but he always make sure I don’t die. Living was even more suffering than dying…”

 

…….. Her eyes… were filled with tears of sorrow…

 

“Therefore I’m really thankful to you, Semi. If you need my life anytime, just take it. That is the only way I can repay you.” She turned to look at me with her pair of clear and truthful eyes.

 

“....... Enough of your gratitude, I’m not that angelic as you are seeing me now.”

 

“No… You may seem heartless, but I can see your gentleness.”

 

“............ Stop your nonsense, Shijimi.”

 

“...... Shijimi…?”

 

“Yeah, you’re just like a Shijimi! That’s why…!”

 

AH . I almost exposed my true feelings out of rashness…

 

“......... What is it about…?”

 

“...... Nothing…”

 

“By the way, my name is Nana, not Shijimi…”

 

“........... I don’t care, I’m calling you by Shijimi.”

 

“HAHA! Semi, your face looks cute now…”

 

“........ WHAT?!?!” I frowned. Do I look childish now?!?!

 

The next moment, I saw Shijimi smiling at me, yet her eyes, were filled with much emotions……

 

I find myself……


Wanting to know more about her…...

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: This second story of Semi is inspired after watching Grasshopper movie!!! The first was inspired from the novel. Since the movie and the novel gave me slightly different feelings, so the ideas for my fanfic came out to be different as well. XD I hope all readers would enjoy!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------