Becoming Cupid

That Stupid List

Jin never thought this would happen to her, but suddenly she just started noticing boys. It started with that hopeless crush on Wonwoo, but then she started to notice others. Like Minghao in her calculus class. Or Seungkwan in her Religion in World Politics class. There was also this Vernon in her World Religions class (although that guy was kind of douche, but he was a cute douche).

For the first time in her life, she felt this overwhelming desire to date someone. She wanted to feel liked, she wanted to do the things that main girls do in kdramas. She wanted to hold someone’s hand; she wanted someone to kiss her.

She never felt that in Jordan. She had always thought it would be nice to have someone, but she never craved it like she did now. Maybe it was because she’s starting to see couples all around her, whereas in Jordan people simply did not date.

Jin was going to have lunch with Sena, Seokmin and Wonwoo. When they sat down at a table, Sena whispered something to Wonwoo, before taking his arm and pulling him up.

“You guys stay here,” said Sena with a grin, “we’ll be right back.”

When Sena dragged Wonwoo (who was rolling his eyes), Seokmin mumbled something under his breath.

“What’s that?” Jin asked, thinking she was supposed to have heard what Seokmin said.

“Nothing, nothing,” he repeated, eating from his sandwich.

There was an awkward silence between them as they ate their lunch for a minute.

Then suddenly, someone stood on the table besides theirs. Jin recognized that it was Vernon, the cute douchebag in her World Religions class.

“Ladies and gentleman,” Vernon said in a loud and obnoxious voice, “in protest to institutional education, I am going to dance on the table.” He started dancing, shaking his hips sensually, and acting crazy in general. People the cafeteria, including Jin, started laughing, entertained at the spectacle before them.

Seokmin just rolled his eyes.

When Vernon got off the table, Seokmin said, “who does he think he is?”

Jin shrugged, “he’s in one of my classes. He’s kind of a show-off.”

“Yeah, I can tell,” Seokmin grimaced.

There was a moment of silence between them before Seokmin leaned in across the table to where Jin was and said in a whisper, “can I ask you something?”

“Of course,” Jin said, leaning in closer to hear him.

“I really like Sena… as more than a friend,” Seokmin finally admitted, “but I don’t know if she likes me back. Could you, perhaps, ask her for me? Without her knowing that I asked you to ask her of course.”

“I will if you want me to, but I think you should ask her yourself,” Jin responded.

Seokmin shook his head, “please don’t make me do it,” he pled sincerely, “if I ask her myself, I might get rejected and it might be awkward between us afterwards, you know?”

Jin nodded in agreement, “okay, I’ll do it.”

Seokmin let out a sigh of relief and took her hand, “thank you so much Jin, I owe you one!”

As Seokmin was squeezing Jin’s hand, Sena and Wonwoo appeared again.

“Oooo,” Sena said, fixating her eyes on Seokmin’s hand on Jin’s and smirking, “did we interrupt anything?” she asked them.

Seokmin retracted his hand from Jin’s quickly and laughed awkwardly. He was clearly embarrassed that Sena had seen him hold Jin’s hand, and mistaking that for something affectionate.

“Where did you guys go?” Seokmin quickly asked them in an attempt to change the subject.

“I think I found the perfect match for Wonwoo,” Sena replied happily, “I just went to show him.”

“No,” Wonwoo replied, rolling his eyes, “and just because a guy is feminine does not make him gay.”

“This guy’s name is Junghan and he’s so pretty, and he’s totally perfect for Wonwoo,” Sena told Seokmin and Jin, completely ignoring Wonwoo.

“No, Sena,” Wonwoo repeated.

“But you think he’s cute, right?” Sena asked.

“Cute, yes. Gay, no.”

“You’ll never know if you don’t ask,” Sena responded.

“You don’t just go up to people and ask if they’re gay,” Wonwoo told her.

“Then how will you ever date anyone?”

“Welcome to my world,” Wonwoo said, “it’s not easy.”

“I can ask for you,” Sena told him.

“No, no, no, no, no!” he insisted.

“I won’t mention you.”

“No thanks,” Wonwoo said, “but thanks for trying.”

“I still think you should do something,” Sena responded, “maybe just befriend him? He’s in one of my classes, I can invite him to eat with us tomorrow?”

“That, I’ll accept,” Wonwoo said, making Sena smile happily.

-

When Sena and Jin were alone, Jin decided to fulfill Seokmin’s request and ask her about what she thinks about Seokmin. Sena could tell that he was on edge about the whole thing, texting Jin asking her to let him know as soon as she asked Sena multiple times.

Jin took a deep breath and asked: “what do you think of Seokmin?”

There was a gleam in Sena’s eyes she Jin asked it. She grinned knowingly in Jin’s direction, “I think he’s perfect for you,” she replied, making Jin’s jaw drop.

“Me? What?”

“Jin, don’t lie to me. I know you like him. I saw the way you looked at him when Wonwoo and me rudely interrupted. I think he’s perfect for you, really. You guys should totally date and…”

“Sena, I think you have the wrong idea,” Jin replied, trying to save the situation. It felt like such a betrayal to Seokmin that Sena thought that, “I don’t like him. Honest.”

“Sure you don’t,” Sena said sarcastically, winking.

“No, I don’t! Seriously. I don’t.”

“Then why did you ask me what I thought of him?” Sena asked.

Jin thought to herself, and tried weighing her options. She could tell Sena the truth about Seokmin’s request, and betray him by telling Sena that he likes her when he explicitly told her not to. Jin could also not tell her, but that would probably mean that Sena would keep thinking that Jin like Seokmin, which would be bad for Seokmin. Jin took a moment to think before deciding to just tell Sena the truth. What Seokmin doesn’t know wouldn’t hurt him.

“Okay, I’ll tell you why, but promise you won’t tell Seokmin I told you?” Jin responded.

“I promise.”

“He likes you. He wants to ask you out, but he’s too afraid you would reject him and that would make things awkward between you two. He wanted me to ask you so that he has a clear answer…”

“Oh,” Sena replied, “I see.” She had a blank face.

“So, what should I tell him?” Jin asked.

“Of course I won’t date someone that you like…”

“Oh God Sena, no. I don’t like him.”

“I know you’re just saying that.”

“I’m not!” Jin repeated, “I swear to God.”

“Listen, I know you, Jin. I know that you are really kind and sweet, and that you don’t want to be in the way of anything. I know you’re not being honest. You like him, I could just tell from the way you look at him. And so I won't date him, okay?”

“Sena…”

“I have a class, I’ll see you later,” Sena said, and walked out before Jin had a chance to protest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Diary,

I’m in a dilemma. Seokmin asked me to ask Sena if she likes him. When I asked her, she thought that I liked him. And she’s not going to date him because she thinks I like him. I tried everything to convince her. I texted her, I called her, I even offered to show her my diary so that she knows I don’t like him, but she said she’d think that I wrote fake entries just to trick her. She’s so absolutely convinced of this for some reason. I don’t even know what I did to make her think that...

It just . I don’t know how I’m going to tell Seokmin. I texted him for us to meet up later so I could tell him, and I’m so nervous for some reason.

I feel like he’ll hate me if I tell him why Sena rejected him. Here I am, standing in the way like I always do. Oh God, I don’t know what to do. He’ll hate me. He’ll hate me, won’t he?

I feel like I failed him.


A/N: There was a bit of Vernon, like I promised~