So Confused

That Stupid List

The theology exam went well, more or less. Jin was certain she would get at least a 90%. She was also certain that Vernon would not get more than 70%. At least 30% of the questions were not answered in her notes, and that was probably the only source of study material he had studied.

It was strange, but Jin kept thinking about him as she wrote the exam. Would he get this question right? Would he remember that part of her notes? Would he be confused with this question? Would he know what that word meant? When she saw that some of the questions she had asked him herself were in the exam, she would think: he got this one right probably, and she would strangely feel happy about it. She didn’t know why though. It’s not she really cared whether or not he did well.

It was quite distracting to think about him during the exam, but thankfully, the exam was easy so the distraction did not really affect her performance much. It slowed her down a bit, but it did not hinder her too much.

When the exam was finished, and she and Wonwoo were discussing the questions, Vernon approached her to give her back her notes.

“Thanks for letting me burrow this, Frostbite,” Vernon told her.

She was tempted to ask him how it went for him; she was actually very curious to know. She didn’t though, because she knew that Wonwoo would ask questions about what would seem like a friendly relationship between her and Vernon. She just took her notebook as Vernon winked at her and left.

“Why did you give him your notes?” Wonwoo asked Jin.

“He needed help, so I just gave them to him,” Jin shrugged.

“So he didn’t force it from you or anything?”

Jin shook her head, “no, he didn’t. Don’t worry.”

“You’re too nice to him,” Wonwoo narrowed his eyes, “he’s such a jerk to you and you’re too nice. I need to teach you how to be meaner.”

“I can be mean,” Jin said.

Wonwoo laughed, “Ha! No you can’t. It’s against your nature.”

“I can be mean,” Jin repeated.

“Be mean to me then,” Wonwoo asked and stopped walking and faced her.

Jin accepted the challenge, and turned to say something mean. When she made eye contact with Wonwoo, she couldn’t even think of anything to say. And everything she did think of saying was too mean.

“Told ya,” Wonwoo said, poking Jin’s forehead playfully, “you can’t.”

“I could have, if you were Vernon,” Jin responded in her own defense, “I just like you too much to be mean to you.”

Jin was too preoccupied with her conversation with Wonwoo to notice someone appear from behind her.

“Hey Jin!” Mingyu’s voice said. Wonwoo stiffened immediately.

Jin turned to face Mingyu: “hi Mingyu,” Jin greeted, bowing to him slightly. She then remembered that Wonwoo was with her, and that Wonwoo had not yet met him, and that Wonwoo really liked him.

She felt nervous for Wonwoo all of the sudden.

“Did you just come from an exam?” Mingyu asked her. He didn’t even glance at Wonwoo.

Jin nodded, “yes. It was my last exam, thank God!”

“Lucky! I have two more,” Mingyu pouted.

“Fighting!” Jin encouraged.

“Thanks.”

“By the way,” Jin said quickly, “this is my friend Wonwoo.” She gestured towards Wonwoo. Wonwoo, who looked so nervous and on edge, bowed quickly in Mingyu’s direction.

“Nice to meet you,” Mingyu said to Wonwoo with a smile and a bow as well. He then turned to Jin, “I gotta run. I have a club meeting in five minutes.”

“Okay,” Jin said, bowing to send him off. Mingyu glanced at Wonwoo to acknowledge him before dashing off to his meeting.

Jin felt like this was very anti-climatic for their first meeting. It’s just so unlike the dramatic first meetings between lovers in regular romance stories, so plain and regular.

“Well, he’s quite hot up close,” Wonwoo joked, but Jin could tell he was shaken by the sudden meeting. “I like his voice,” he added sheepishly.

“If he asks me to go to dinner with him again, I’m agreeing and taking you with me.”

“Why though?”

“So you can get to know him.”

“To what end?”

“Friendship?” Jin suggested. She knew he was only thinking about this in terms of the very unlikely possibility of Mingyu being interested in him. Though it wasn’t the only option for a relationship, and Jin was sure that it would bring Wonwoo some kind of joy to at least know him better.

Wonwoo huffed, “how sad. Anyways, I prefer not to .”

“You won’t be,” she tried to sound affirmative, but for some reason she blushed.

“Let me hear that from him,” Wonwoo replied.

-

The fact she was not sure of Mingyu’s intentions was kind of maddening for Jin. She wanted to know if he really did have ulterior intentions with all of the kindness he was showing her. Everyone around her seemed to think so…

She found that her only source of information about this (besides Mingyu himself) was Seokmin. Seokmin had called Mingyu and derived some information from him, information that Jin still did not know.

She texted Seokmin: hey. When you called mingyu, what did you tell him?

Seokmin responded a few minutes later: why do you want to know?

J: because I don’t know what his motives are, and I should.

S: Okay so here’s how it went down: I asked him why you had his number, and he told me it was because he was helping you look for your ‘notebook’ and he asked me if I was your boyfriend. I said no. I asked him if he was interested in you. He said I would have to wait and see. That’s a yes, basically. He’s interested.”

J: It’s not clear that he’s interested… I’m so confused.

S: Just ask him.

J: that would be wayyy too upfront.

S: when you find out for sure that he is interested, what would you do? ;)

J: feel awkward and embarrassed and think of the best way to tell him that it won’t work out.

S: I want to ask why you don’t think it would work out. But it’s none of my business.

J: You’re right; it’s not.

S: But, but, but... Fine. I’ll just suffer in curiosity. See, I’m a good friend that learned his lesson. I deserve a cookie.

Jin couldn’t tell him the real reason why she would reject Mingyu: Wonwoo. Seokmin did not know about Wonwoo’s crush, and Wonwoo probably did not want anyone to know. The only reason Jin knew was because she happened to catch him staring at Mingyu that day…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Diary,

I just talked to Seokmin, and he told me about the conversation he had with him. Mingyu didn’t deny being interested, but neither did he really affirm it. Seokmin said that he did though.

I’m so, so confused. What does he want? Does he really like me? Really? No? Am I just imagining it? Is this real? Someone is interested in me and not Sena? Does Mingyu even know Sena? Probably not, which is why he seems to like me.

I’m so confused.

Something else that’s confusing me is that I am so drawn to Mingyu. I know in my heart, I want this so much. I want whatever it is that Mingyu seems to be offering.

I’m sorry Wonwoo… really, I am sorry for even thinking this.

Today Wonwoo and Mingyu briefly met for the first time. They just glanced at one another and exchanged bows. It just seemed the beginning of something extremely plain, platonic, simple. If anything, it reaffirmed that there is no spark between them at all.

I should stop thinking about these stupid things and think about more happy things. Like the fact I finished exams. Yes I finished the theology exam. It was easy.

Also, I’m sure that Vernon did not get 100%. We’ll get our marks in a few days, and we’ll find this out for sure. I do wonder what he managed to get though. I don’t know why I’m curious though.


A/N: Sorry for the boring chapter. I was squeezing my head for this to come out of it lol. Anyways, I am also done with exams and so I will be updating more regularly from now on yay. Thanks for all the support :)