So Fickle

That Stupid List

Jin spent a lot of time wondering whether she should go meet Wonwoo at his dorm, as had been her habit before the confusing things that had happened between them. She still was not over the fact he stole her first kiss, and she still felt like she should be angry about it. But she didn’t want to be angry. She really just wanted to put it behind her and do what Vernon’s mother had asked her to do: make up with all of them.

When she knocked at his door, he looked surprised but happy to see her.

“I didn’t expect you to come, to be honest,” he said after she entered and sat on his old roommate’s bed– where he had kissed her and confused her the first time. She remembered the kiss clearly like it had just happened, and it made her blush and unable to look at him.

“I figured we should go back to the way it was. The sooner the better,” she told him, looking at the floor.

He seemed happy to hear that. “Do you forgive me?”

Jin nodded, “let's forget about it."

He took her hand and squeezed in gratitude; he looked so relieved.

“So, you’re moving out of this room then?” Jin said, trying to change the subject.

“Yes,” Wonwoo replied, his smile widening. “Who would have thought that I would become roommates with my crush?”

He told her about the meeting, about the tea and how he burned his tongue, about the After School posters, the Buddhist statue, and about how Mingyu reacted to Wonwoo’s confession. She was glad that he was so happy now, especially after all of the unhappiness he had gone through since the rumor was spread. She was also happy that she and him were back on comfortable talking terms. There was still something awkward between them, but Jin figured it would go away with time.

He asked about what she did yesterday, and she told him about her encounter with Seokmin. “Did you know that Sena broke up with him?” she asked.

“What?” Wonwoo asked, his eyes narrowing. “Why?”

“I didn’t talk to her about it yet, but I will. I think she did it for me. As if anything could ever happen between me and Seokmin now…”

“I’ll talk to her if you want me to.”

“No need,” Jin said, “I just need to prove to Sena that I’m over him.”

“How?”

“Vernon asked to go out with me. I said yes,” Jin answered matter-of-factly.

Wonwoo raised his eyebrows and looked towards Jin in surprise, “Vernon?”

Jin nodded.

His look of surprise turned into one of annoyance. His eyebrows furrowed into a frown, as he looked at her straight on and said: “Jin, don’t be stupid.”

“What?”

“Did you honestly agree to date him just for Sena and Seokmin?”

“Not really…”

“Do you like him?”

“I don’t hate him.”

“That’s no reason to date him!” he said. “Jin, he’s a douchebag, a player, heartbreaker and who knows what else. He’s going to throw you away after he’s had his fun with you.”

“Well, that’s what I’m going to do to him too…”

“Does this have anything to do with me, by any chance?” Wonwoo asked her suddenly.

“Why would it have anything to do with you?”

“Because you thought I would ask you to be my girlfriend again. Did you want me to be in Vernon’s place? Is that why you agreed to date him after I sent that text.”

Jin felt kind of hurt that he was implicitly accusing her of wanting to use him. She felt the need to defend herself: “I wanted to say yes to you the moment you asked the first time, Wonwoo. Because I actually wanted to be your girlfriend, not because of Seokmin and Sena. You are one of my best friends, and you were my first crush...”

Wonwoo looked surprised to hear her say that. It looked like news to him to know that Jin actually wanted it.

“Vernon isn’t that bad,” Jin said in an attempt to override the newfound awkwardness that Jin’s spew of emotions had now instilled.

“If you’re going to date someone who’s not going to take you seriously, then you might as well date me,” Wonwoo said without really thinking.

“What?” Jin responded, surprised that he actually said that. He didn’t even seem to understand what he just said.

It was only then that it clicked in Wonwoo that what he just said was kind of mean. Actually, it was very mean. If you’re going to date someone who’s not going to take you seriously, then you might as well date me. “That’s not what I meant,” he quickly said… “I meant Vernon wouldn’t take you seriously. I would…”

Jin fell quiet. She didn’t know what to say; she really didn’t expect something mean to come from Wonwoo’s mouth. Jin couldn't help but feel like this mean thing was true though.The truest things are the bad things that your friends accidentally say about you: she was not one to be taken seriously. She was nothing to no one. Not to Vernon, who probably only wanted her for fun, not to Seokmin, who wants he pretty best friend, and not to Wonwoo, who just admitted that he would not take her seriously. She felt stupid and hurt, and she wished she could just disappear from in front of him right now.

“I’m so, so, so sorry,” Wonwoo said putting his arms around her in this desperate attempt to comfort her.

Jin pushed him away, and stood up to leave. He didn’t let her.

“No, Jin. Talk to me,” he said, taking her arm and pulling her back down.

Jin felt that itch in her nose threatening that she was about to cry.

“I swear on my life, I didn’t mean it the way it sounded,” Wonwoo told her, putting his hands on her shoulders and leveling his head with hers, “I swear, Jin.”

Jin nodded. She wanted to believe him, but something inside of her was telling her that he was just trying to make her feel better.

“Oh please don’t cry. I couldn’t bear to think I made you cry,” he said when he saw wetness form in her eyes.

“I won’t cry,” she said, gulping as she tried to contain herself. But she couldn’t. She covered her face and turned away from him. She was embarrassed and angry with herself. She was crying so much these days…

She felt his arms around her, pulling her into his chest. She eventually relaxed into his arms as he her back and mumbled a thousand apologies to her.

It didn’t take very long for her to stop crying, and when she did, she pulled away from his arms and forced herself to smile.

“I’m sorry for crying, I'm okay now.”

“Don’t be. I'm the one in the wrong,” Wonwoo told her quickly.

“We should go to class,” Jin said, sniffling.

"I'm sorry," he said again.

"Don't worry, I know you didn't mean it," Jin told him.

As they walked out, Wonwoo held out his hand and took Jin’s. She accepted it and held his too, and they walked silently for a while.

“Go out with me,” Wonwoo suddenly asked when there was no one around to hear them. Jin stopped midway in her tracks and turned to hear him. “I promise to take you seriously, and I promise that I won’t ever say anything to hurt you the way I did just now.”

“Wonwoo, we’ve been over this. If this is pity then…”

“But it’s not,” Wonwoo told her quickly, “I realize that I want to be the one to take care of you, and I don’t want to see you go off with some . I want to try a relationship with you, Jin. Now stop whatever it is you agreed to with Vernon, and let’s see where this would take us…”

“Stop,” Jin interrupted him before he could say anymore, “I don’t understand why you’re doing this, and I don’t want to. Sorry Wonwoo, but I already said yes to Vernon.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Diary,

I thought me and Wonwoo were okay at first. He told me about Mingyu and I talked to him about Seokmin, and felt like our old relationship was being restored. But then after I told him about Vernon, he flipped and he got really aggressive and said something kind of mean. He said that if I was going to date someone who was never going to take me seriously, I might as well date him.

It really hurt that he said that, becuase he told me that he would never take me seriously. He told he didn’t mean in it in that way, and the more I think about it, I realize that the structure of that sentence didn’t have to imply the mean thing. But I still took it to heart. I don’t believe he meant it the way it sounded; he looked so guilty when he saw how much it had hurt me. I’m going to just try and forget it.

He asked me to go out with him after that. After sending a long text explaining that everything he had done before was a mistake, he still asked me. He’s fickle and I don’t like it. He changes his mind every day, sending me a text telling me that it’s nothing and later confronting me about it and saying that it’s something. So far he did it twice. I don’t understand him, but I don’t need to understand him. I don’t want to date someone who changes his mind about it everyday. Plus I couldn’t shake off the possibility that he would not take me seriously.

Plus, I already said yes to Vernon, and I don’t want to revoke that now. But it would be a lie to say that Wonwoo didn’t make me worried about it though. Vernon was not going to take me seriously; Vernon actually told me that dating does not mean commitment. He is going to play with me a little bit and then move on to some other girl. It’s not like I’m not going to use him too, so maybe it’s hypocritical of me to expect something else from him. It’s still sad that my first date will be like that. Just like it’s sad that my first kiss was nothing as well...

 


A/N: I made JinWoo live only to kill it again lol. Anyways, I dedicate this to svtjeon because she made the lovely new poster ^^

I have been on a roll the past few days but I might take a little longer for next update because I really need to get other work done~

Also, in case you didn’t notice, VerJin won the poll, but only by a little bit ^^

#BuyNUESTOvercomeoniTunes