Goodbye Diary

That Stupid List

Have you heard from Wonwoo or Mingyu at all in the past eight hours??? Seokmin texted Jin frantically the following morning. He was supposed to spend the night here but he didn’t show? Left his phone in his bag, which is with me, and Mingyu isn’t answering. I’m concerned.

Jin tried calling Mingyu to see if he would pick up. When he didn’t, Jin started to worry that something went wrong with them. She knew that Wonwoo was going through a hard time, which made her even more uneasy.

Unable to stop worrying, she made her way to Mingyu’s dorm to find them. She ran into Mingyu on his way out, who looked as if he were in a hurry.

“Oh, hi Demon! Running late, can’t talk. And sorry for not answering my phone. Wonwoo’s fine, by the way. He’s still asleep, but just wake him up, and he’ll explain,” Mingyu said with a quick eyebrow raise before dashing out. Jin noted that something was a little different about Mingyu. He pursed his lips and avoided direct eye contact with her, appearing so much more withdrawn than usual.

Jin entered Mingyu’s room, relieved to know Wonwoo was okay. She saw Wonwoo sleeping on one side of the bed, and Mingyu had clearly slept on the other side. It was kind of surprising to Jin, considering that the two were growing apart and also considering that Wonwoo had a perfectly functional mattress waiting for him in Seokmin’s dorm. Maybe the two had talked things out and made up, she thought happily.

Jin and Wonwoo had class in less than half an hour, and so she lightly shook Wonwoo awake. When he woke up, he was surprised to see Jin there. He shot upright and looked around frenziedly, and then looked at the space beside him where Mingyu had been.

“Jin, what are you doing here,” he asked. He looked confused. “And Mingyu was here, right?”

“Mingyu was running late; I just saw him leave,” Jin answered him. “And what are you doing here?” Jin asked, “weren’t you supposed to move in with Seokmin and Jun yesterday?”

“I… I don’t know what’s happening Jin,” Wonwoo replied to her, shaking his head and lying back down, “I have no idea where I stand with Mingyu anymore.”

“What happened?”

“I feel like it was a dream, but I don’t think it was…” Wonwoo hesitated to say it, but eventually he told her that Mingyu had kissed him the previous night.

Jin’s eyes widened. She was happy, but was also very surprised. She knew something happened, but she would have never expected something like that; Mingyu went from kicking Wonwoo out so that he could prove his straightness to suddenly kissing him? It was bizarre and confusing, and Jin could tell that Wonwoo was astonished himself because of what happened/

“Did he explain himself?” Jin asked.

Wonwoo shrugged, “he did, kind of. I was too bewildered to process everything he said to me, but I know the gist. Something about being unsure why he did it, but liking it? Also that he wanted to ‘try’ a relationship with me. Oh gosh, I feel like I’m dreaming.”

Jin did not know what to say. She felt like it was not her place to say anything, because she didn’t understand what was going on. But even though Wonwoo looked puzzled, he seemed so happy at the same time. There was light in his eye that Jin didn’t not think she had ever seen, and his lips seemed to be on the verge of smiling.

This was something he had been longing for since the beginning. Since she first met him, she could tell that he craved a relationship with someone. And now, Mingyu, the person he loved, had kissed him, and said he wanted to try. She could only imagine how he felt to finally have those desires fulfilled by the most ideal person.

And for the rest of the day, Jin did not think she had ever seen him smile as much as he did. He looked like he was in the clouds, like he still couldn’t believe that it was happening to him.

-

Wonwoo only ever spent two days in Seokmin’s dorm, as Mingyu asked him to move back in. Mingyu said that he did not want to try and prove his straightness to anyone anymore, because the fact of the matter was he was “not as straight as I thought that I was.”

Although Mingyu had told Wonwoo that this relationship would just be a “trial,” as Mingyu wasn’t certain about what he was feeling, it did not really seem like a trial to Jin at all. Mingyu seemed more comfortable with the relationship than the gay boy himself, who was certain about his feelings. Mingyu was the one who initiated the intimate skinship, not Wonwoo; Mingyu was the one who told Wonwoo he looked “cute” or “handsome” and once even “hot.” Mingyu was more open to talking about his feelings than Wonwoo, who still had not even told Mingyu that he loved him yet.

Granted, Mingyu did not say anything like that either, but he did constantly relieve Wonwoo of the anxiety that came with the fact that their relationship was only a trial. He would constantly put Wonwoo’s mind at ease by saying that he was glad they were together, that he was not having doubts about the decision at all.

And seeing the two interact, Jin could tell that Mingyu had no doubts. There was so much fondness in the way that Mingyu looked at Wonwoo, like he treasured him and the unconventional relationship they had with one another.

Jin could only really glean at how Mingyu felt from the way he looked at Wonwoo, as Mingyu never initiated skinship when they were out in public when Jin was usually with them. The two did not avoid being together in public, but they did avoid physical contact around people. They did not want to make their relationship publicly obvious, but they did not deny when people spread rumors that they were together. They just ignored what people were saying, and went on being together anyways. Wonwoo told her that actually being together made the gossip and homophobia they both experienced so much more bearable.

When Wonwoo’s parents came to visit, Mingyu met them as Wonwoo’s “roommate,” and Jin as Wonwoo’s “girlfriend.”

His parents were much, much kinder than she had expected them to be given what they had put Wonwoo through. His mother was devout and charitable, and his father had a very tender aura to him. After meeting with them, she would have never imagined that they would be the verbally abusive type at all.

It was obvious how much Wonwoo loved them, and why he did. They were not bad people at all, just misguided. And it was clear from the way Wonwoo interacted with them that he missed them and that he wanted to make them happy. It that he had to lie to them in order to do that.

His parents liked her, but, in a very ironic twist, they seemed to like his “roommate” so much more. Jin could tell by the attention they gave Mingyu as compared to the attention they gave her. Mingyu was able to make them laugh so many times. He was polite and humble and beaming all throughout the meeting with them, and consequently, Wonwoo’s mother especially adored him. Mingyu talked about politics, religion, Wonwoo, and even about the time he pursued Jin without realizing that Wonwoo had a thing for her. Funnily enough, that story was not even a lie.

Mingyu talked so much that it seemed like Jin was sidelined in the conversation. It was probably the only time Jin ever felt happy to be sidelined.

“I like your parents,” Mingyu told Wonwoo when they finally left.

“And they like you too,” Wonwoo replied, seeming happy with how the meeting turned out.

“I think they would make good future in-laws,” Mingyu said all of the sudden, surprising both Jin and Wonwoo. Did Mingyu really just imply that he and Wonwoo would get married?

“What?” Wonwoo asked again, amused and holding back a smile.

Mingyu only winked at Wonwoo with a smirk, stole a kiss from Wonwoo’s cheek and walked away, leaving Wonwoo with a stupid grin on his face.

Wonwoo later told Jin that it had been the first time that Mingyu had ever implied their relationship was more than just a trial, that he wanted it to last. The first time that Mingyu had ever implied that he loved him too.

-

Seokmin still didn’t like Vernon. No matter how many good things Vernon did, Seokmin always relayed how much he distrusted him. He seemed to believe that Vernon would one day find another girl that’s willing to sleep with him, break up with Jin and thus break her heart. Jin didn’t believe it for a second though. She always ignored Seokmin when he started talking about how sly he thought Vernon was.

Jin and Seokmin never talked about their non-platonic feelings for each other again. They both seemed to get over it, forget it ever happened, and reverted back to the way they were before.

It would be a lie to say that Jin did not wonder about his feelings though. When Jin brought up the possibility of getting back with Sena to him, he shrugged it off completely. Jin had seen girls flirt with him, but he also never paid much attention to them. She wondered why he didn’t, but Sena had convinced her that it was not her place to ask him.

“You do know that you’re probably the reason he’s not dating, right?” Sena said, “but he can’t say that to you. If you ask him, it would put him in a very uncomfortable position. Just leave him be.” Jin listened to Sena, and didn’t talk to Seokmin about his love life (or lack thereof).

Sena was determined that she did not want to date for a long time either. Being the popular and pretty girl that she was, many had asked her out, but she refused them all. She said that her experiences with both Seungcheol and Seokmin had broken her will for a relationship, and so she avoided boys at all costs.

Plus, she was way too busy to date. She had been struggling with grades and had been at the risk of failing the semester, and so Sena worked extra hard to get her grades up again. She was working every single day, staying up to study and doing extra credit. Jin noted how much Sena had changed over the course of a few weeks. She was getting her life together, and spent every single free hour that she had getting back on track. No more parties, no more bars, no more alcohol, no more wasting time with her popular friends.

Jin could have never imagined things to turn out this way. Sena was the one avoiding boys and spending her weekends studying, while Jin was going out with the attractive playboy of campus and neglecting studies for him. It was like their roles were reversed.

Sena, Jin, Seokmin and Wonwoo saw each other every day, and made it a habit to eat lunch together and go out once a week. Sometimes, Vernon would join (much to Seokmin’s annoyance). Sometimes, Mingyu would join. And sometimes, surprisingly, Nayoung would join.

Nayoung and Sena became good friends. It was a strange friendship, actually. A ’s victim and his ex-girlfriend. But things fell together between the two of them when they started to talk. They had so much in common: their love for fashion, their hatred for Seungcheol (and boys in general), their prettiness, and their unmatchable confidence. They naturally just clicked together.

-

The semester ended on a happy note.

Sena passed all of her classes.

Mingyu told his parents that he liked a boy and was going out with him. They were surprised and a little resistant at first, but they accepted it eventually.

Wonwoo’s mom was apparently pregnant, which made Wonwoo so happy, as it meant divorce was definitely out of the question now.

Vernon’s mother was showing improvement from the test treatments she got in the States, and Vernon could not be happier. Jin could tell how delighted he was from the way Vernon could not even turn his smile into a smirk. He told Jin that he had hope his mother would not lose herself after all.

He opened up to Jin about a lot of other things besides his mother. The more Jin knew him, the more “real” he became to her. He went from being an attractive boy that happened to like her, to being a friend, to being one of her best friends. She eventually stopped being shy in front of him; she stopped worrying about what he thought of her; she became comfortable being herself in front of him.

-

The semester was over, and Jin went with Vernon to the airport to see him off as he was going to visit his mother for Christmas.

“I’ll miss you Frostbite,” Vernon told her as he wrapped his arms around her. She hugged him back tightly. “I remember the first time I hugged you, you froze and blushed,” he told her as he pulled away, remembering the time he put his arms around her in their first date.

“I’m used to your antics now, so you can’t make me blush anymore,” she replied.

“Is that a challenge?” Vernon asked, crossing his arms.

“Sure,” Jin replied confidentially. She kept a straight face and prepared herself for some cheesy pick-up line (to which she had become immune in the past months of dating him).

“I think I love you,” he said to her suddenly, surprising her, and, of course, making her blush. “Ha! You blushed. I win,” he bragged, sticking out his tongue.

She looked to the floor, biting her lower lip and trying to overcome the fluster before facing him again: “You think you love me? What does that even mean?”

“It means I think you’re cute,” Vernon told her, earning him a playful push from her.

“Stop being cheesy and go. You’ll miss your flight,” Jin told him, still smiling.

He kissed her cheek, waved at her, and went on his way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Diary,

I’m in the airport after seeing Vernon off. I’m going to miss him so much. I can’t imagine not seeing that cute cheesy flirt for three whole weeks.

Anyways, today he told me that he thinks he loves me. It’s the first time he ever said something like that. To be honest, I’m not very sure if he actually meant it or if he only said it because I challenged him to make me blush. Whichever it was, I still blushed and so he totally won the challenge. He always does win these kinds of challenges anyways, so I don’t why I’m even surprised.

So this is the last page of this diary; I need to start a new one after this entry.

I was skimming through the pages just now and I came across that stupid list I made at the beginning of the semester. I laughed when I read it, because so much has changed since I wrote it. Two of the boys on that list are now in a relationship. One of the boys is in jail for my best friend. Another is one of my best friends. And the last one on that list, the one who I thought was a huge (but attractive) jerk, is now one of the most important people in my life. My boyfriend. I never could have imagined such an end to be honest.

It’s kind of funny when you think about it.

Anyways, goodbye diary. I’ll miss you. I’ve had the greatest memories with you. I’ve had my first love, my first kiss, and my first date while I was with you. (All completely different guys too, imagine!)

With you, I grew and I changed. I went through the best and the worst of times. I cried and I laughed, I loved and I hated, and most importantly, I made unforgettable memories. May the next diary carry as many fond memories as you do.

Goodbye diary.

 


A/N: AND THAT’S A WRAP. 78 chapters, oh my god. Okay please bear with me as I write this long author’s note right now because I’m super emotional right now.

JIN SENA VERNON WONWOO SEOKMIN MINGYU MY PRECIOUS CHARACTERS I LOVE YOU GUYS IM SAD I FEEL LIKE IM SAYING GOODBYE FOREVER :(

Okay, so I really, really, really loved writing this fic. And honestly thank you guys so much for all the love you showed it. Your comments made my days and honestly idk what sad world I would have been in had I not written it.

I also discovered a few days ago that this actually the third most commented Seventeen fic on this site (probably because it’s 80 chapters LOL) but honestly thank you all sooooo much

So, I’m actually really, really sad that this ended because like I feel like I’m breaking away from something that has made me so extremely happy. At first I just wanted to get this story over with but now I have a feeling that my life would be so empty without it. And if it does feel like that, I will think about writing a sequel. I feel like there is a potential story that I could spin, but idk if I will have the motivation to write it though ;; If I do decide to write it, I will post a new chapter to this story linking you guys to it, but no promises! So stay subscribed if you’re interested ~

Anyways, I’m definitely gonna keep writing svt fics. And one thing I know I wanna do is contribute to the lacking Seventeen OC fics out there (seriously though why is this fandom so lacking in OC fics???) so maybe you guys would be interested in that!

As a final request, can everyone please just leave a final comment? Even if you’ve been silent readers until now. I just want an idea of just how many people have read this and what you all thought of it in general. ((also, don’t forget to upvote too! ^^))

On a final note, STAN NU’EST ok thanks bye.