The Envelope

That Stupid List

“Jin,” Sena asked softly as they sat silently together on the bed, Sena’s head on Jin’s shoulders. “Aren’t you supposed to pick up Wonwoo?” Sena reminded her.

“Oh, right!” Jin’s eyes widened. She had completely lost track of time after Sena had told her all of those things. When she saw the time, she realized that Wonwoo had finished class over ten minutes ago. Sena got off of Jin’s shoulders.

Jin texted him to ask where he was. He didn’t respond immediately.

“You should go,” Sena told Jin.

Jin shook her head. She wouldn’t leave Sena now, not after Sena had revealed a traumatic experience like that, when they were in the silent process of just sitting together and mending what had been a failing friendship for the past few months. She couldn’t just break that moment.

“I’m not the only friend that needs you,” Sena said to Jin with a soft smile, “really go. I’m going to go take a shower now anyways, plus I’m tired and want to sleep after that. Go,” she beckoned.

Hesitantly, Jin agreed, but only because she imagined Wonwoo having a hard time because she wasn’t there. She grabbed only her keys and her phone and walked out of the door, thinking she would be back as soon as she dropped Wonwoo.

She rushed to the location of his class. He wasn’t there, and so she walked in the direction of his dorm, hoping to catch him on the way.

She did indeed find him walking back alone.

“Wonwoo,” she called to him. He turned to her.

“I’m so, so, so sorry,” Jin told Wonwoo. “I lost completely lost track of time…”

“Don’t worry,” Wonwoo replied, “I’m still in one piece.”

Wonwoo looked different from usual. He looked like he was in a sort of daze. She wondered what had happened to make him like that.

He reached out and took Jin’s hand, and then said: “let’s go out for a coffee or something. I kind of want to talk to someone about something...”

Jin could not deny Wonwoo that request, even thought was slightly hesitant about not going back to Sena. But he seemed like he genuinely needed someone to hear him out.

She nodded, but asked that they stop by her locker first. Jin rarely used her locker for books and the like, and she only used it to store necessities in cases like this one, in which she did not bring any money with her. She didn’t want Wonwoo to pay for overpriced coffee when he could barely just afford lunch. She didn’t tell him that, of course.

They walked to her locker, and when she opened it, an envelope fell out. Jin bent down to pick it up.

Stay safe, Frostbite!” was the message on the envelope. Vernon.

“What’s that?” Wonwoo asked curiously. Jin shrugged. She did not know what he possibly meant by the message, and what could possibly be in that envelope.

She opened the envelope, and when she saw what was inside, she bit her lip and her eyes widened. She turned a light shade of pink and quickly crumpled the envelope and its contents.

It was a .

“What’s in it?” Wonwoo asked curiously when he saw Jin’s reaction. Jin shook her head, too embarrassed to even think about it. What the hell? Why would he do that? Why would he even think to give me that?

Wonwoo held out his hands, requesting to see what it was. Jin hesitantly gave it to him, feeling extremely ashamed that something like that was in her locker.

He opened the envelope, and his eyes widened when he saw it too. He took it out, much to Jin’s embarrassment.

“Don’t take that out in public!” Jin said, but Wonwoo didn’t listen as he inspected the packaging.

“XX Small?” Wonwoo looked amused, but kind of offended at the same time. “Who sent this to you?”

“Vernon,” Jin answered, “I don’t know why.” She took it from Wonwoo’s hand and put it back in the envelope so that people don’t see it.

“Oh. That’s a relief,” Wonwoo said, putting his hand on his heart.

“What?”

“Well, Vernon knows I’m gay and so he knows that me and you aren’t dating for real and so that thing was probably not meant for me,” Wonwoo explained.

Jin narrowed her eyes, confused as to why Wonwoo cared that this was not meant for him.

“It’s XX Small,” Wonwoo explained to Jin, laughing at Jin’s innocence. “Whoever this was meant for, it’s an insult.”

Jin blushed so much she had to turn her face. Wonwoo just laughed and laughed at how surprised and unsettled she was about the whole thing.

When she got over the fluster, she thought about what Wonwoo said. Yes, Vernon knew that Wonwoo was gay and so that thing was not meant for him. She recalled that Vernon had witnessed her leave Seokmin’s dorm a few days ago, when she spent the night there.

She had not checked her locker since then. How long was this envelope in there?

“You’ll regret it,” Vernon had said when she ignored him after he called for her.

Was this what he meant?

The more Jin thought, the more she realized that this was what Vernon was referring to when he said she would regret it. It was not spreading the rumor about Wonwoo being gay; it was about this stupid practical joke. This was the thing that Vernon was talking about when she confronted him about the gay rumors.

“It’s not like it’s a bad thing,” he had said.

 “Sure it may have hurt your guy friend’s pride or whatever, but it does nothing to you,” he had said. He was not talking about Wonwoo. He was talking about Seokmin, and the size of that thing he put in the envelope.

Vernon never spread nor claimed to spread the rumor about Wonwoo being gay…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Diary,

I just came from a coffee date with Wonwoo. It was fun, mostly because Wonwoo laughed more than I have seen him laugh in a long time. He looked really happy. Apparently Mingyu also called him “attractive,” and Wonwoo was really excited about that.

Wonwoo was so cute. He told me wanted to tell someone about Mingyu, to reveal his trivial excitement about such little things. He wanted someone to share in his happiness about these things. He thought it was weird that he was talking about his gay crush to me, but I felt happy that he was able to confide in me like that.

I also feel glad that I rejected Mingyu now. It feels so wrong to imagine dating someone that Wonwoo clearly feels so strongly for. To think that I almost said yes. To think that if it weren’t for Vernon, I would be going out with someone that Wonwoo liked.

Speaking of Vernon…

As it turns out, it was not Vernon who spread the rumor after all. Vernon sent me an envelope with a small-sized in it, and that was what he was talking about when I thought he was confessing to spreading the rumor. It was just this stupid practical joke meant to shade Seokmin and make this stupid suggestive connection between me and him. It was just Vernon being obnoxious, not evil.

I was wrong to slap him. I accused him of things he didn’t do. I misjudged him. I feel really bad about it. I’m going to have to apologize to him tomorrow.

Why is there always drama with this guy???

 


A/N: I told you guys to have faith in Vernon!!! :P

I AM ON A ROLL GUYS. I THINK I DESERVE A COOKIE.