Ch 1 cont.

The Adventures of Moon Eun Jung

   I come back to an empty house. Looks like my aunt isn't home. I leave my backpack in my room before searching for something to eat. The fridge is empty, as usaul. I see a plastic container of kimchi. Satisfied with just that I take it to the small living room. I savor the kimchi, letting my mind wander. I live with my aunt because everyone in my family is dead. When I found out that everyone was dead I was sad, but I didn't cry at the funeral. The tears didn't come. Yes, I was sab, but not only because the people I was the closest with was gone, but because I was alone. I had truly become alone. At school I was a loner, but I wasn't truly alone. I knew that my family would be at home. I had them so I wouldn't be lonely. Not for real lonely. When they all died I truly felt alone for the first time. None of my relatives wanted me, nor my parent's friends, only my aunt who finally took pity. Even so I never felt comfortable living with her. That day I had lost everyone along with my comfort. Now I can never truly be comfortable or be myself. My stone cold heart. I must be a bad person for not crying for my family's death. I can't even feel the sadness in my heart now.

   I run the last few steps to school. Aunt had bought some ramen last night, so I ate that for breakfast. I didn't see her of course, she was sleeping exhausted from working all night. I had also managed to find a band-aid to cover up my scrapped knee. I nervously step into the classroom, hoping Exo doesn't say anything. They don't. I don't think Kris, Luhan, Tao, Suho, and Kai noticed me at all. I give a small sigh of relief, less tense. I sit down at m desk, taking out a book to read, waiting for the bell for class to ring.

I groan, we have gym today. In the locker I change into my gym uniform. The gym teacher has us standing outside, "Today we'll be playing soccer. We've already gone over the rules last time, so everyone to your teams!" I join my team, putting on a red vest. Suho and Luhan are on my team. Kris, Tao, and Kai on the other team. I'm in defense since I don't like offending and am not fierce enough for it. The whistle blows.

The boys in my class all go for the ball becoming a crowd. Tao manages to get the ball making a run for the goal. I tense, preparing to run. A girl on my right makes a move, trying to kick the ball away from Tao. She misses. Tao kicks the ball. I run as fast as I can to stop ball, but don't make it. The goalie goes after the ball, but Tao made a goal. Everyone on the green team cheers. I can't help feeling a little annoyed. I'm definitely stopping the ball next time!

The goalie kicks the ball out. It flies through the air, everyone looking up at the black and white ball. As the ball falls back to earth, Kris jumps up and kicks it! The ball, a blur, streaks across the field straight for the goal. WHUMP! I stare in surprise as Luhan stops the ball with his chest. That's got to hurt. He stumbles backward from the force and falls on his . The ball drops to his feet. Everyone on the team runs over to him. "Are you okay?"

Luhan grins, wincing a little, "I'm fine," he assures. The game resumes. Our team makes five goals, the other ten. "Stop hiding in the back and come help!" a boy team mate yells to the girls. "Shut up!" one girl replies angrily. I feel bad about not doing much to help...but who cares. Put me in offense or defense and the result would still be the same. "Suho's got the ball!" a girl shouts. Surronded by boys trying to steal the ball, Suho passes the ball to Luhan. The crowd of boys turn to Luhan. Kai races across the field to our side. "I'm open!"

Luhan does a turn, dancing the ball out of reach. A boy sticks his foot in and pushes the ball from Luhan. "Nice!" Kris shouts, "Pass!"     "Pass to me!" Tao intervenes. "Over here!" Kai shouts. The boy look back and forth, unsure. Suho runs in, aiming for the ball, at the same time the boy kicks the ball to Kris.

Now a bunch of guys were headed this way. Get ready! I tell myself. I spread my legs a little further apart, keeping my eyes on the ball. Kris kicks the ball to his right. The ball rolls behind me. I turn around mid-run to see Kai stop the ball and dribble it to the goal. I dash towards him and he sees me. He kicks the ball again, I run to stop it. Suddenly Tao appears and steals the ball before I can stop it. BANG! I jump up to deflect the ball mid-air, but I'm too short. The ball flies overhead--and hits the bar on the goal post. "Yes!" someone on my team cheers. The other team didn't make a goal, but we still lost five to ten. The gym teacher blows the whistle. "Okay! Nice game! Go and change. It's almost time for your next period!" Everyone runs off, eager to change out of their swaty gym clothes.

The five Exo boys wrap an arm around each other, smiling. I watch them for a minute. They were so close to each other. It amazes me how they can be so open with each other. I turn away. I-I can't do that. I can't see myself opening up to people so easily. I exhale, tired from the short exercise. Even though I don't want friends, I hope that all 12 of them will stick to each other for a long time. Their friendship, to me, is very close. I don't want them to lose that.

   I watch Na Hee brush back her long black hair with a smile. She was so pretty. Smooth white skin, soft pink lips, and twinkling brown eyes. I can see why Exo likes her. What guy wouldn't mind having a pretty girl around? I chew my rice while secretly watching them. Everytime I see Exo together they always seemed to be happy. Was it that nice being around friends? I stare at each of their faces for a second, looking at Na Hee last. I my head slightly to the side. Hmmmmm...there was a strong possiblility that some of them liked Na Hee.

I quickly look down when Tao looks up. Phew! I almost got caught staring. I peek at them again. Xiumin is looking over. I look back down. Did they catch me? Then I hear a clatter. No, they must not be looking at me. I turn around and see a bunch of boys from a different school entering our cafeteria. One of them, the one leading, kicks a chair out of the way. It slides noisly across the floor. I turn back to Exo, who were all getting up. The two gangs confront each other in the middle of the cafeteria. I go back to my lunch. Let them talk, I needed to eat, besides whatever was going on between them had nothing to do with me; also fights were scary.

I swallow my kimchi followed by rice. Though I say that it was none of my concern I can't help overhearing their conversation. My table wasn't that far from the middle of the cafeteria.

"I heard you beat up one of my guys," the leader says. "He's the one who messed with our's first," Kris speaks up. Huh? I don't remember seeing anyone in Exo hurt. Who was the one who got messed with? "I don't care who got hurt by whom," the leader says, " but no one beats up my guys and get away with it."   "So you want to fight?" Chanyeol asks. I can't resist any longer and peek behind me. Everyone in Exo is tense, their smiling faces now serious. I search among them wondering hwo was the one who got messed with. Chen? Lay? Baekhyun?

"Yeah, tonight," the leader replies, "don't get scared and run away, alright? I'll be waiting." He turns around and walks off, his gang following. One of the guys turns around, he had a badly swollen eye and a broken nose. "That ain't even worth it!" he hisses. Luhan lunges for him, but Sehun and Kris restrain him. "What did you say!" Luhan shouts, " say it again!"  The gang guy glares, " I said she's a who ain't worth it!"

Again Luhan tries to get at him, but is restrained. Anger fills his eyes. I feel scared just seeing how angry he is. "Later Luhan," Kris says letting go once they're gone. The boys return to their seats. Everyone in the cafeteria who had been watching return to eating. ? The guy said ...who---Na Hee! I glance over at Na Hee who had been sitting at the table the whole time. It was Na Hee! They were fighting because a guy from the other gang probably tried to do something to her. I sigh. Thank goodness I was a loner with no friends. The drama!