Ch 37

The Adventures of Moon Eun Jung

          I got caught. In a trap. On the positive side I learned something new today. It's a Sunday and guess who I'm with. Yes, Tao. This isn't a normal situation though. I'm scared, he's scared and we're both lost. In the dark. In a haunted house. Together. And I'm pretty sure I knonw who planned this.  It's kind of funny how Tao's leading even though he' s scared stiff. I'm scared, but I'm pretty sure he's more scared.

"I hate this. I want to go back," Tao sobs. I don't give any comfort. Today I learned that Tao is weak against scary stuff. Ironically, me too. What a wonderful pair to be stuck together in a haunted house.

Tao steps on something, making a loud crunch. He screams and begins jumping wildly. "Calm down it's just...something," I say, keeping a close eye on him. I am not going to let him get scared and leave me behind. Tao sniffs, "But I stepped on something."  I'm about to say more when my heart nearly gives out on me. Coming up from behind Tao is a bloddy figure with wild hair and long nails rapidly crawling towards us on the ground.

"Tao!" I gasp. I grab his arm and speed off, dragging him with me. Tao notices it and begins screaming his head off.  I make a left and a dark figure launches  itself at me. I scream and try to reverse. A fresh shriek escapes Tao. The figure touches my shoulder. Scared I knock it awy, "Run! Run! Run! Run!" I shout dashing off. "Eun Jung!" Tao yells, chasing after me. "Don't leave me!" I manage to slow down my panicked run, "Hurry---"

Something grabs me from behind. I fight wildly struggling to get free. It lets go. I fall on my knees, gasping. Tao catches up and screams. The thing grabs for me again. This time Tao leads, pulling me after.

We finally stop running, leaning against a hallway that is supposedly ghost free. In the red light I can see Tao's tears. "Next thing I know you're going to pee your pants," I state.  He's too scared to defend himself. Tao wipes his tears, "L-Let's get out of here." Knock Knock Knock. We both freeze. Suddenly a hand burst through the wall. We both scream our heads off, sprinting away.

Creak, creak. I stare at the ground, "Whatever you do, don't look up," I hiss to Tao. No need to look up to guess what might be hanging over our head. Tao shuffles closer and sniffs, "W-why? Wha-what's up th-there?" "Maybe we should run," I whisper.  Something soft brushes the top of my head. "Ahh!" Tao screams slapping at his face. He looked up. Curious, I look too. We both stare up at a headless body hanging from the ceiling. It moves. Tao screams like a banshee. We run off not bothering to stay and see what it did next.

"Mommy. Have you seen my mommy?" A little girl slowly approaches. Her skin pale with blue lips. Her dress is stained with blood. She holds a teddy bear in her right hand, dragging it along the floor. Of course we run. Several times Tao and I almost beat up a ghost out of ear. Finally we escape the madness.

 

          I collapse on a bench, drained. The whole time I was running adrenaline had kept me going, now that I'm out, I'm exhausted. Tao sips a water bottle, drying his eyes with the sleeves of his shirt. "That was scary." I grimly nod.

Someone laughs, "Did you enjoy yourselves?" Haru grins at us. "No," Tao replies, sniffling. Haru sympathetically pats Tao on the back, "You were that scared?" Tao nods, sniffing some more. I narrow my eyes at Haru, crossing my arms, "What are you up to?"  Haru smiles innocently," Oh, come on Eun Jung it's just a little date!" Just as I had suspected.

It was pretty obvious what Haru had been up to when she asked to see me afterschool and made me wait at the amusement park in front of the Haunted House. I knew she was up to something when Tao arrived instead of her. I had never been inside a haunted house before and was a little curious, but I was mostly scared. Tao didn't want to go in either and I wanted to leave too, but before we could, we were both ushered inside.

"I'm leaving now," I say, glancing at the frightened Tao. Immediately Haru pounces on me, grabbing onto my arm, "Wait! Where are you going?"  "Home," I mutter, I was not going to stay with Tao another minute. Going through the haunted house together I was too scared to notice how close I was to him, but now I suddnely remember holding his hand. I try not to blush. Go away! I yell inside my head, trying to erase the image of us holding hands and Tao clutching my shoulders.

"Come on Eun Jung," Haru forces me to turn around, "you're not really going to leave poor frightened Tao alone here, are you?" Quickly glancing at Tao who is hugging  himself and wiping his tears I harden my heart against him," You can hang out with him, I'm going home."  Turning by back to Haru, I silently apologize to her. I know that Haru is just being nice, but a no was a no! Sorry, Tao, I can't stand being around you. My heart beats so fast I'm afraid it's going to burst! Staying another minute will kill me! Why do I like him so much? I mentally scream.

"Eun Jung, wait!" Before I can react Tao runs up behind me and grabs onto my arm. My heart sky rockets even higher, my whole face as red as a tomato. My eyes become dry, then watery. No no no no no no no! I silently beg Tao to go away, but he doesn't.

"Are you going home? Let's go together!" I stare hard at the sidewalk. Thanks a lot Haru! Clenching my fists I try to slow down my beating heart. Breathe in, breathe out. Relax Eun Jung! Breathe in ,breathe out.

"I hate haunted houses," Tao murmurs, "do you Eun Jung?"  "Uh...yeah," I answer, struggling to sound normal. I hate this so much! I want to run away and leave Tao behind, but I can't, it would be rude. My eye sight begins to get blurry from the tears of fustration. I can't handle this anymore!

Tao's face suddenly appears in my line of sight, "Eun Jung? Are you feeling okay?" His face appearing out of nowhere startles me. I practically jump four feet in the air. I had been so lost in thought I didn't hear Tao at all.  Staring right into Tao's black eyes my body heat goes up. I feel suffocated and uncomfortable. Like a volcano, my feelings bubbled up, hot and scalding. I want to rid myself of it, but I'm afraid what could happen.

Tao places both of his hands on my shoulders, "Eun Jung?"

Then, like an explosion of lava, without thinking I blurt, "I like you! Okay?!"

As soon as I say it I regret it. My face is so hot with embarassment I can feel it radiating from my cheeks. I'm too afraid and embarassed to look up. When Tao doesn't say anything, "Actually forget---"

"I like you too," Tao interrupts. I freeze. Thumpthumpthump. What did he say? Cautiously, like a clam coming out of its shell I look up at him. Tao stuffs his hands in his pant pockets, "but not in that way. I like you as a friend. Sorry if me hanging out with you made you confused. I still feel bad for almost killing you...that's why I---"

"I understand," I quickly cut him off. Trying hard not to cry, I bite my tongue, "Um, I guess I'll be going home now." I force a smile at him, then quickly walk away. I keep walking until I feel that I am far away from Tao. Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry, I chant. What does it matter if he doesn't like you back? He likes you as a friend, right? Don'tcrydon'tcrydon'tcry I tell myself faster as I feel the tratiorous tears try to squeeze out.

I stop walking to take a deep breath to calm myself. My throat hurts from being squeezed shut. Isn't this great? He doesn't like me. Now I can stop liking him. I smile, "Great! Now I don't have to---" my voice gets shaky so I clamp my mouth shut. I try my hardest to hold back the tears, but in the end, hot heavy drops spill down my cheeks. I walk home through a blurry vision, crying all the way.