Ch 20

The Adventures of Moon Eun Jung

          "We have to go back for Eun Jung!" Na Hee insists. "Is she that girl?" Haru asks. "She used to be friends with us," Chen informs, " but....she left."  "Why?" Haru asks all the way from the front. "We don't know. She just said that she didn't want to be friends anymore," Luhan answers. "Because she thinks she's not..." Lay struggles for the right word, " she thinks she's not worthy enough to be our friend."  

"But she is our friend! I still consider Eun Jung my friend. Just because she doesn't want to be our friend doesn't mean we can just abandon her in an unknown place!" Na Hee insists.  Haru nods, "Any friend of Exo whether they were or are, are my friends too!"   She looks to Generau Wu-Chin, " General Wu-Chin please turn around. We have to go back for Eun Jung!"   "No!" Wu-Chin shouts. Everyone stares at him, startled. "Why not?" Taek Gu demands.

"The life of your father is more important than some commoner," Wu-Chin says to Haru.  "Is that why you ignored her earlier?" Lay asks. General Wu-Chin urges his horse faster. "You don't understand! I've repeatedly warned you all, over and over again that Surock is not your friend! She is the enemy!"

"Eun Jung?" Taek Gu laughs, " she's not even mean enough to be a threat!"

Wu-Chin's face hardens, his eyes becoming cold, "Surock is your enemy. Don't you remember? She betrayed you! It is because of her that the Xinglu Empire is in this state! How could you all foolishly believe her?"  He clenches his fist, eyes ablaze, "She began this. She will end it."  "What are you trying to say?" Kris asks with dread. "Surock must die in order for your highness to be safe. I've already sent an assasin to finish off that evil girl."

 

          Like in a movie I can hear the daggers hit the ground behind me as I zigzag across the road. I gasp as I almost slip in the mud. I am definitely being chased. I look back, but can't see anyone. Whoever they were they kept themselves well hidden. Whomp! I slip on the mud my legs flying out from below me. I hit the ground hard, the air knocked out of my lungs. The person chasing me comes out of the forest. The person has his or her face covered with a mask. I try to stand up, but before I can the person takes out a long shiny needle and jabs me in the neck.

 

         "Hyah!" Na Hee kicks the man she was riding with off the back of the horse. She pulls on the reins, jerking the horse around. "I'm going back for Eun Jung!"  "It's too late! Wu-Chin shouts. Haru tries to get off but he holds her back. "We'll go ahead!" Wu-Chin shouts. The rest of the horsemen gallop after Wu-Chin. Luhan, Taek Gu, and Tao manage to wrestle the reins from their riders. Shakily they chase after Na Hee. "We'll stay with Haru!" Kris yells to them.

"What if she doesn't want our help?" Tao asks Na Hee. "She came to rescuse me even though she was the one who left us. Eun Jung could have only done that if she still cares for us. So we can't abandon her."

They gallop to the scene just in time to see the assasin throwing Eun Jung's lifeless body over his shoulder. "Eun Jung!" Na Hee shouts in alarm. The assasin sees them and runs into the trees. Na Hee pulls her horse to a stop and jumps off. She runs after the assasin. "Wait Na Hee!" Luhan calls out as they run into the forest. They chase Na Hee who they momentarily lose. Tao spots her in the forest and the three of them run up to her. Na Hee was leaning against a tree, panting. " I lost her," she says, "Eun Jung is----"  "Don't," Tao interrupts, "She might not be dead." 

"What?" Na Hee asks.

"I agree," Taek Gu adds, " why didn't the assasin leave Eun Jung's body behind if he killed her?"

 

         I wake up, unable to remember if I had a dream. I instantly remember the person and being jabbed in the neck. I'm not dead. I somehow manage to get lucky again. I try to move my arms bu I get no response. I try again. It is so fustrating to control your body. Move! Move!  I yell, but no part of my body will listen. My whole body is heavy, as if something inivisible was pressing down on me. I give up deciding to do what I can with my eyes that can move.

I'm lying in an old wood building of sorts. A hut maybe. It's dark outside and a stream of moonlight enters through a glass-less window. Why am I not dead? Did the person save me? Or was it someonelse? The person suddenly appears in the moonlight. I can tell that the person is a he. "You won't be able to move for a little while. I hit a nerve in your neck that controls muscle movement." 

The man stares down at me, arms crossed, " I saved you because I thought you were Surock. You look like her, but you're not her, are you? Who are you? Why are you dressed so strangely?" I don't reply because I can't. My mouth is still numb. The man sighs. "I forgot...You should be able to speak soon, the effects should be fading." He was right. I can feel my mouth again. 

My voice comes out raspy, then clears, " My name is Moon Eun Jung. I'm not from here. I've been transported here to another world."

 

          All through the night we travel through the forest on horseback. The man told me little only stating that I had to get to the palace. I wanted to ask why, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't answer anyways. I have a feeling that being at the palace definitely has something to do with Surock. To distract myself I focus on the night scenery and thing through what has happened so far.

First General Wu-Chin had called Haru Princess Mai-Le and Exo plus Taek Gu were called the 13 warriors. Then I find out from this person that I look like a person called Surock. I can only conclude that in this world there must be people that look like us. They are either our alter egos or we have somehow transported into a parallel universe with this world's version of us. I guess basically an alter ego except in an Ancient Asian-like world. I usaully don't talk much, however I am curious about Surock.  This other me. What kind of person is she? Was she like me?

"Um, this Surock. What kind of person is she?"'

"Why should I tell you?" he asks.

"Well, she looks like me," I reply. I suddenly realize that I'm trusting this person, I don't even know. How do I know he will really take me to the palace? How do I know that he is a good person?

At first he doesn't answer, then, "Surock...she is a difficult person to understand. She's very unpredictable. She does what she likes when she likes. She's not the best-looking girl around, but her personality makes up for it. She isn't arrogant, but can be when she wants to. She's not cruel, but she can be. People will say she is nice, but I think she is kind. She doesn't do something to be appreciated, but because she believes it's the right thing to do. If you ask her whether she believes herself to be good or bad, she'd answer both....but that she is mostly bad. Surock is alway unsure of herself, but when it comes down to it, she usually gets by. Surock is a person of blood. she wishes not to hurt others, but cannot help being drawn to fight. she doesn't like to show it, but I believe if she tries, Surock can become the greatest warrior in the whole empire."

Wow, Surock is way more awsome than me. Only on a few itsy bitsy parts sound similar to me, except for the fighting part. I hate to admit it, but I don't think I'm fighting material. Surock is a better version of me. I stare at the trees, the night sky, and consider this world. I think she is better than me because of this environment. Surock, the other me, has to live in this world where everyday she has to fight to survive, she can't depend on luck and circumstances like me. I on the other hand grew up sheltered by my parents. I wasn't spoiled to say the least, but there was definitely certain elements missing in my family.

"She's strong," I say. Then I smirk, "but I'm sure she wouldn't agree."  

"You sound like you already know her," he says. I feel a tinge of sadness, "I guess it's because I'm like her, but she is the stronger me."

Then I realize something. "Um, but if I'm here, where's Surock?"

"That's why you must get to the palace," he answers. "She is being kept locked up in the palace dungeons, somewhere secret. I don't know where. Thanks to your arrival we can use you as a distraction to confuse our enemies while we try to find where Surock is being kept."

"Then where are the real 13 warriors?" I ask. The person tightens his grip on the reins, "They're with her too. The real Princess Mai-Le has gone missing and we're also trying to locate her. We can find out where she is if only we can figure out who the mastermind is."

"So..." I conclude, " is there some kind of rebellion going on here?"

"Yes," he answers, " and the princess is on our side that's why it is important that we find her."

I add, "Then what about Surock? Why is she important?"

He is silent, "Surock has information. the last we heard, it was urgent."

"So what do I have to do?" I ask.  "What do you mean?" he replies.

"Well...Surock is locked up somewhere and I am supposed to be the distraction. What exactly do I do?"

"Nothing," he answers, "just being there is enough." I want to asky why, but decide not to. I'll find the answer to that once I get there.