Ch 24

The Adventures of Moon Eun Jung

          There was pandemonium when the queen found out that Eun Jung has escaped. "Time for phase one," Na Hee whispers to Luhan. While everyone was distracted Tao, Baekhyun, and Xiumin sneaked into the dungeons. "According to what Surock told us yesterday night, there should be a hidden door between the fourth and fifth cells," Xiumin reminds Tao and Baekhyun. "Left or right?" Baekhyun whispers. "Right!" Xiumin answers. The three of them take a right turn in the dungeon. They approach the fourth and fifth cells. "Fifth from the top down ten then three to the right," Xiumin instructs as Baekhyun presses the stones. Tao stands behind them as look out.

There is a loud groan then the wall slides open, revealing a set of stairs that go further down. "Let's hurry! Someone may have heard that!" Tao urges.

Torches light the way down the stairs ending at a hall that splits three ways. "The middle," Xiumin recalls Surock's instructions. They run down the middle path and stumble across two gaurds gaurding the door. "Halt!" they shout in alarm. The gaurd on the right makes a move first. He runs straight at Baekhyun. Tao intercepts and kicks the gaurd in the abdomen, instantly knocking him out. Baekhyun grabs the other gaurd by the collar and using his beast strength, throws him against the stone wall.  Taking the keys off the gaurd on the left, Xiumin unlocks the steel door the gaurds were protecting.

The three enter the room behind the door to find 13 copies of each member of Exo and Taek Gu. "We look weird with long hair hair," Tao mutters. "I look pretty good," Baekhyun disagrees. Their alter egos warily look up. Their faces were beaten black and blue and they were chained to the stone walls. They looked drained and weak. "I still can't get over this," Xiumin says as he stares at his alter ego. Tao's alter ego stares at the three in a daze, " I think I'm dreaming."  "Well, whoever you are unchain us," the other Kris commands. Glancing at each other, Tao, Baekhyun, and Xiumin get to work.

 

      The queen enters Haru's room that she shared with Na Hee, momentarily worried about something else other than Eun Jung's escape. "Mai-Le, my daughter...your father wishes to see you. He is feeling better today and wants to talk with you."  "Father is----" Haru stops herself. "Of course mother."  Na Hee follows Haru and the queen out. "The king is sick?" she whispers to Haru. "That explains why we haven't seen him since we got here," Haru returns the whisper.

The king laid on a silk covered bed of red and gold. The room was dark, incense wafting through the air. The king looked to be in his late 50s, black hair graying, his face lined with old age, and hollow cheeks. The queen, Haru, and Na Hee enter the chamber. The king shows no sign of acknowledging their prescence. Suddenly he speaks, "My days grow numbered. Why have you not come see me my daughter? I have not seen since last month. Come, I wish to see you." Haru glances at Na Hee. "Go!" the queen urges, gently pushing Haru foward.

"Uh...father. It's been a long time indeed. I did not mean to...be away so long."

The king lifts a bony hand, his eyes fixed towards the distance. "Of course not, dear child. You have a good heart, for I have brought you up well. Come closer. My world has gone dark so I can no longer see what you look like. Let me hold your hand." Haru takes the king's hand, clasping it in her's. The king smiles, "Yes, yes. I can feel you. You are my Mai-Le. Tell me, since it has been so long, about your day. How was it?"  Haru's lips tremble with emotion as a past memory comes to mind, "It was like usual...father."

 

          "This sure is a confusing sight," states Na Hee. I couldn't agree more. We were all crammed together in Yu's secret hideout, inches apart. What made it worse for me was that I had been crammedn right beside Tao--the Exo Tao--- and the 13 warriros Tao sat three people away to my left. We all sat in a semi-circle in Yu's small hut. My whole face is on fire, my heart ready to burst from being too close to Tao. I can hardly contain my blank face. Luckily no one noticed...I hope.

Yu stands up, "Everyone is here. Does anyone have any important new to tell us?" "I have a question," Haru speaks up. "The king, has he always been sickly?"  "Sickly was not the word to describe him," the other Chanyeol answers instead," he was a man of great health and strength. He has become the way he is now...we suspect....due to poisoning."

"Who would do such a thing?" Haru gasps. "Wu-Chin is a strong suspect," other Suho states, "--No, he most likely did it."  "But why?" Lay asks.  "I've been wondering about that," Yu says. "Wu-Chin commands the Xinglu Army. If he wishes he can storm the palace, but he doesn't. Wu-Chin is clever and knows that he must have the people on his side. I am sure he wants to become king because he is greedy for power."

I raise my hand feeling foolish, like I was in class raising my hand for permission to speak. I had said 'um' earlier but no one heard or noticed. Yu sees me raising my hand. Everyone looks in my direction. Surock smirks knowingly. It's strange seeing me smirking at me.

"Do you have something to say Eun Jung?" Yu asks. I speak, but my voice comes out in a scratchy whisper. I clear my throat and try again, hating the fact that both Taos were staring at me. 

"How do we know that Wu-Chin poisoned the king?"

"We have  spies among his men," Yu simply answers.

"What made you think that Wu-Chin may not be the one? Are you--were you paying attention?" Taek Gu asks me. I glance down at my lap, blinking several times. "I was wondering," I say, "sometimes...things aren't what they seem."  "I'll keep that in mind. Eun Jung does have a point," Surock says.

"Okay, so our main concern is Wu-Chin, but do you know what kind of poison they gave the king?" Haru interrupts. The other D.O. sighs heavily, "That's the problem. There are several types of poison that slowly kill the victims from the inside out. We had once managed to sneak a doctor from our side in to investigate. We found that the king shows symptoms of Vianthentra poisoning. The problem is that Vianthentra poisoning kill it's victims within a week. The king has been ill for 3 months now. I suspect the poison used is a new type, but so far we've found no trace of the poison."

While everyone started suggesting ideas or comments, I stare at the floor, momentarily pushing Tao from my thoughts. I think back to what I had said. What if General Wu-Chin didn't poison the king? But if he didn't who did? I sigh, I have no clue at all. I mentally punch myself. Then why did I say that outloud to everyone? I have absolutely no clues. I'm such an idiot. Even so I have to admit that what I said did make sense, but what if I was wrong? What if Wu-Chin did poison the king? I sigh again. This is troublesome. Maybe if I got to know Wu-Chin better or find out what type of person he really is... I could find an answer. The problem is that he doesn't like me..er.. Surock.

Wait, wouldn't it be dangerous for me to go out? And since when had I planned to do that? Right now Surock is supposed to be missing so I can't do that. Besides doesn't it seem like I'm defending General Wu-Chin? I sigh deeply.

"There you go again!" I jump, startled. Tao grins at me, "That the third time you sighed. Is something bothering you?"  I shake my head, "No." I can feel a blush slowly forming on my cheeks. Had he been watching me? No, I'm being delusional. I slightly narrow my eyes. Still....that was strange.

Surock stands up, "Okay! Back to the topic of discussion---I suppose."  We all look at her.  "Our first plan worked with the disapperance of Eun Jung--me. Now we plan the second phase."  "Wait!" Na Hee exclaims, "Sorry, I'm kind of unclear on this, but what exactly is our goal here? Are we trying to get rid of General Wu-Chin? Find the culprit who poisoned the king? Or what?"   Surock blinks at her, "We---"   Yu stands up interrupting her, "Our goal is to save the king and restore the kingdom's peace."  Na Hee nods in understanding, "Oh, I see."

Late into the night we planned phase 2. There was a lot of arguing and reasoning and everytime I gave an idea it just sounded lame. I yawned more than twenty times---even the prescence of two Taos couldn't make me stay awake. When I opened my eyes again everyone had fallen asleep, the smalll candles that lit the room flickering gently. The thing that had awakened me was a weight on my shoulder. In the candle lights I saw that it was Xiumin. I slightly frown. Though I didn't want to wake him up, I just don't like other people touching me. Slowly I lift my hands and with a soft quick push I  send his head lolling to the other side where it rested peacefully against Lay's shoulders. On my other side Tao slept with his head against Sehun's shoulders. Not wanting to have someone sleeping on my shoulder again I tiptoe to a small corner and return to sleep.